Rand Paul wins republican primary Watch

CandyFlipper
Badges: 13
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Well in Kentucky, as was probably expected based on polls, Rand Paul has won the primary, and yes he is the son of Ron Paul. He has been a huge supporter of the tea party movement right from the start (not somebody hopping on a bandwagon like Sarah Palin), and I find this quite exciting.

The republican party clearly did not want Rand to win this, the other candidate was the institutional candidate that represented everything that is wrong with the republican party. But the grassroots supporters of the tea party have come out and supported somebody who is far more libertarian than many republicans e.g. Rand opposes the war in Iraq, he only believes in war when its declared by congress, he would abolish the federal reserve etc.

Is this a step towards the republican party becoming more libertarian?
Seanisonfire
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Support of the tea party? run away, run away.
AliciaJ703
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I doubt the Republican Party will ever become libertarian.
asiansentinel
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by AliciaJ703)
I agree completely. I just cannot see that happening.
PeeWeeDan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It would be nice were the Republican party becoming more Libertarian... however it won't happen. Aren't the Paul's closer to Constitutionalists/Federalists than Libertarians? I'm actually asking, I'm not sure.
CandyFlipper
(Original post by PeeWeeDan)
It would be nice were the Republican party becoming more Libertarian... however it won't happen. Aren't the Paul's closer to Constitutionalists/Federalists than Libertarians? I'm actually asking, I'm not sure.
They would both call themselves constitutionalists, but so would many libertarians - and I don't think either of them as very federalist, they seem to want to make most issues a state decision e.g. abortion or drugs.

Ron Paul especially is quite strongly libertarian, he ran for the libertarian party in 1988, he supports the legalisation of drugs, he would withdraw bases from all foreign nations, only go to war when congress has declared it. In contrast his son seems a bit tamer, I'm not sure he supports ending the war on drugs or in Afghanistan, but he is certainly more libertarian then your typical republican.

(Original post by Seanisonfire)
Support of the tea party? run away, run away.
What is WRONG with expecting your government not to give you massive debt? The tea party movement wants the government to have to balance its budgets, they want fixed terms which the people want, they want civil liberties (no patriot act), they don't want to police the world and spread democracy by force etc. Why is that all so wrong and radical, its all in their constitution.

I bet you're going to post some link of republicans like Palin taking over the movement and actually changing what its about, if thats literally what you think it is, I don't blame you for opposing it - but the tea party movement started as a libertarian grassroots campaign and amongst the crowds and voters there, most are libertarians, not conservatives - the media just never focuses on them.

(Original post by AliciaJ703)
You guys are a lot closer to it then our conservative party is, thats for sure. You have so many advantages, e.g. open primaries, the constitution. Our candidates are the ones that the establishment wants, so we're hardly going to get many libertarians.

It depends on what you mean by libertarian I suppose ... I don't see them legalising drugs or even marijuana anytime soon. But they well go back to the constitutional position of non-intervention regarding foreign policy. They might go back to real fiscal conservatism, and not run deficits when they're in power.
Seanisonfire
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by CandyFlipper)
What is WRONG with expecting your government not to give you massive debt? The tea party movement wants the government to have to balance its budgets, they want fixed terms which the people want, they want civil liberties (no patriot act), they don't want to police the world and spread democracy by force etc. Why is that all so wrong and radical, its all in their constitution.

I bet you're going to post some link of republicans like Palin taking over the movement and actually changing what its about, if thats literally what you think it is, I don't blame you for opposing it - but the tea party movement started as a libertarian grassroots campaign and amongst the crowds and voters there, most are libertarians, not conservatives - the media just never focuses on them.
Your second paragraph got it spot on And as you know I do sympathise with the social aspects of libertarianism, but that doesn't mean I would ever start to advocate it. In fact most modern left parties have a lot in common with libertarian parties in terms of social issues.
Made in the USA
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well in Kentucky, as was probably expected based on polls, Rand Paul has won the primary, and yes he is the son of Ron Paul. He has been a huge supporter of the tea party movement right from the start (not somebody hopping on a bandwagon like Sarah Palin), and I find this quite exciting.

The republican party clearly did not want Rand to win this, the other candidate was the institutional candidate that represented everything that is wrong with the republican party. But the grassroots supporters of the tea party have come out and supported somebody who is far more libertarian than many republicans e.g. Rand opposes the war in Iraq, he only believes in war when its declared by congress, he would abolish the federal reserve etc.

There is definitely a split in the party. There are a lot of social conservatives in the republican party and also a lot of libertarians in the party too. It's a really big tent. Which side takes control of the party and takes it into the next decade remains to be seen. The teaparty is libertarian and polls show that 50% of the members are democrats and independents and they don't care about social issues. Right now it seems like they are in the drivers seat.

I do like seeing the anti-establishment underdog candidate beat the mainstream big name candidate with all the money and backing. It's almost like a hollywood movie.
CandyFlipper
(Original post by Made in the USA)
There is definitely a split in the party. There are a lot of social conservatives in the republican party and also a lot of libertarians in the party too. It's a really big tent. Which side takes control of the party and takes it into the next decade remains to be seen. The teaparty is libertarian and polls show that 50% of the members are democrats and independents and they don't care about social issues. Right now it seems like they are in the drivers seat.

I do like seeing the anti-establishment underdog candidate beat the mainstream big name candidate with all the money and backing. It's almost like a hollywood movie.
Is there a libertarian republican running in Florida then?
KirstyK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yay! Republicans ftw.
KirstyK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by PeeWeeDan)
No that would not be nice.
Mahyor
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by KirstyK)
No that would not be nice.
Yes, it would be nice. Their obsession with, among other things, women's uterus's and what gay men do in the bedroom is irritating.
icn06
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hmm I could see the Republican Party making a bit of shift...Even the entire Tea Party movement was pretty radical and out of character. They're due for a bit of a facelift after losing the election anyways. I like it.
Edenr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Massively great news.

Is there a libertarian republican running in Florida then?
Yep, Marco Rubio is running against Charlie Crist for the Republican nomination for the Senate election.

Apparently, Charlie Crist is now running as an independent because it looked like Rubio was going to get the nomination.
opaltiger
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Tea Party movement loses 99% of its credibility when you realise US taxes are the lowest they've been for decades.

ETA: Also this is good. Conway has a marginally better chance against Paul than he would have had against Grayson.

Yep, Marco Rubio is running against Charlie Crist for the Republican nomination for the Senate election.
No he isn't. Crist dropped out and is running as an independent.
Stalin
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I thought title fail when I clicked on this thread.

I didn't know RP had a son, but there you go.
Mahyor
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

By the way, isn't Rand Paul anti-gay rights, anti-choice and anti-immigration? If so, how exactly is he libertarian? Unless, I'm totally confused about what libertarianism entails.

He sounds far more socially conservative than his dad.
werd123
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Tea Party movement? OH DEAR. Their ideals for a single rate tax system are rather rubbish, but hey ho it's not surprising I disagree with them.
CandyFlipper
(Original post by opaltiger)
The Tea Party movement loses 99% of its credibility when you realise US taxes are the lowest they've been for decades.
Source? I'd find that very suprising indeed if its true, given the war on terror and the bailouts - and the financial crisis overall. Surely taxes have been raised, and will continue to rise as long as they have this huge deficit and debt? Especially when Obamacare begins to kick in.

(Original post by Mahyor)
By the way, isn't Rand Paul anti-gay rights, anti-choice and anti-immigration? If so, how exactly is he libertarian? Unless, I'm totally confused about what libertarianism entails.
I don't know about the first and last one, I'd be disappointed if you're right on those, especially gay rights (I can understand opposing open borders whilst the welfare state survives.)

I know he is pro-life, like his father, but that can be consistent with being libertarian. That can go either way, "for LIFE, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" - I'm pro-choice though, personally.

(Original post by Edenr)

Apparently, Charlie Crist is now running as an independent because it looked like Rubio was going to get the nomination.
So Rubio is the new libertarian on the block? What is he like then, end the fed? Legalise drugs? End war on terror? Gay rights? Etc ...
opaltiger
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Source? I'd find that very suprising indeed if its true, given the war on terror and the bailouts - and the financial crisis overall. Surely taxes have been raised, and will continue to rise as long as they have this huge deficit and debt? Especially when Obamacare begins to kick in.
Here's one.

Rand Paul is definitely against gay rights, incidentally, though I don't have time to find a source right now. And Rubio isn't libertarian; he's just way way more conservative than Crist (Crist is pro-choice, for example).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1043)
79.08%
Leave (276)
20.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed