What are the most annoying stereotypes about YOUR COUNTRY? Watch

dont finish that statemen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I have seen at all of stereotypes about countries it is always bothers me. Don't you all hate when people of other countries say those annoying, stupid and irritating stereotypes about your own country and people?
for ex: in UK you never can eat good food; all Americans are ignorant and fat; all Germans are violent and shout a lot; Swedish women are nympho; Italian are disorganized; Mexican are lazy; and so on.
Tell me the worst or the stupid ones you have read or heard about your country.
Teaddict
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My personal favourite is this classic stereotypical view of British people in that they are all wealthy snobs with posh accents, related to Lizzie, love tea and eat crumpets and biscuits. The normal stereotype for us Brits. If only this stereotype was true though. Shamefully, it isn't. Some Brits are complete opposites; some cannot speak English correctly, some are about as useful as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest whilst others have a vocabulary only consisting of swear words.
Barden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Teaddict)
My personal favourite is this classic stereotypical view of British people in that they are all wealthy snobs with posh accents, related to Lizzie, love tea and eat crumpets and biscuits. The normal stereotype for us Brits. If only this stereotype was true though. Shamefully, it isn't. Some Brits are complete opposites; some cannot speak English correctly, some are about as useful as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest whilst others have a vocabulary only consisting of swear words.

That stereotype just makes me cringe, as do those who aspire to it.
Teaddict
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Barden)
That stereotype just makes me cringe, as do those who aspire to it.
Yes, many people aspire to be related to the Queen :rolleyes:

Though I fail to see the problem with being wealthy and speaking with a BBC accent; or even the Queens accent.
areyousure?
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I hate the fact that everyone thinks that we are lazy.
(spanish)
roxy potter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
All Irish people are supposed to be red headed leprechaun farmers who eat potatoes all day long :P
Barden
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes, many people aspire to be related to the Queen :rolleyes:

Though I fail to see the problem with being wealthy and speaking with a BBC accent; or even the Queens accent.

That's not a stereotype - that's speaking properly and being successful.
Barden
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by roxy potter)
All Irish people are supposed to be red headed leprechaun farmers who eat potatoes all day long :P

not during the famine they didn't :awesome:
Teaddict
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That's not a stereotype - that's speaking properly and being successful.
There is a stereotype that all British people speak with the same posh accent.

Cheerio Jeeves!
teagan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by roxy potter)
Don't forget the drinking guinness

EDIT: The same as everyone else has said really, that English people are either ridiculously posh, or complete chavs who have a cockney accent.
Dream Weaver
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Scottish ones:

Tight with money
drinks large amounts of alcohol
negative attitude
complains about the weather even if it is hot, cold, snowy, sunny ect
eats fatty foods all the time
drinks a lot of irn bru

Wait a minute...that fits me exactly lol
Barden
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There is a stereotype that all British people speak with the same posh accent.

Cheerio Jeeves!

I don't think that being posh and speaking with recieved pronounciation have to go hand in hand though. I speak properly yet am from a low enough income family to have gotten full EMA and full maintenence grants for uni.

I do of course get accused of being posh by all the northern monkeys at uni :rolleyes:
Teaddict
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't think that being posh and speaking with recieved pronounciation have to go hand in hand though. I speak properly yet am from a low enough income family to have gotten full EMA and full maintenence grants for uni.

I do of course get accused of being posh by all the northern monkeys at uni
Barden I agree with you.
I too come from a working class family background, however, speak properly, enough to be mocked for it by people who can barely comprehend the English language let alone speak it.

Which is often quite funny, how can you mock me you mentally deficient twits. But what are you going to do eh?

But none the less, it is a stereotype. I think the Simpson's episode the Regina Monologues sums it up pretty well...
exu
Report 8 years ago
We Turks suffer a lot about stereotypes and prejudices because of being a muslim country but also being a secular one, partly because of our imperial past: Ottoman Empire, and partly because we are descendants of cenghiz khan and atilla who ruined Europe in the past. Western countries see us as eastern underdeveloped society. Eastern countries see us western degenerate *******s who exploited them for centuries.
There are lots of people in Turkey who likes some booze and also lives decent muslim life. Some ppl can not figure out that.
Lamptastic
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Bad teeth, and cockney accents. We are not the cast of Eastenders!!
ForgettingWhatsername
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Belgian - we eat French fries all the time
we drink beer all the time
we eat waffles all the time

Surely we must all be obese by now?
chemical_bex
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Scots -
Being drunk 24/7 eating deep friend mars bars :p:
Yuuuk.
kamc
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That we're all sad and depressed about losing the Empire.
Welsh_insomniac
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That we're all lazy, sponging, good for nothings who expect everything whilst contributing very little to society.
Barden
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
That we're all lazy, sponging, good for nothings who expect everything whilst contributing very little to society.

So not the sheep shagging then...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (851)
80.74%
Leave (203)
19.26%

Watched Threads