University Choice Watch

sss151
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm currently in the midst of doing my IB exams. I'm having to decide between either Birmingham or Exeter as my insurance. Both are asking for 36 points in IB and I'm planning on doing Law. Does anybody which university is better suited for Law?

Also, are there any chances that any one of these Universities would still accept me if I did not gain the 36 points?
maximusbarr
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
By far I would say Birmingham, has a much better reputation for law and is considered a top ten law school.

I doubt at Birmingham if you didn't hit the 36 they will let you in but Exeter may, that's something you should bear in mind.
username299156
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by sss151)
I'm currently in the midst of doing my IB exams. I'm having to decide between either Birmingham or Exeter as my insurance. Both are asking for 36 points in IB and I'm planning on doing Law. Does anybody which university is better suited for Law?

Also, are there any chances that any one of these Universities would still accept me if I did not gain the 36 points?
http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...rsityguide.php

according to this website, birmingham is number 7/114 universities that do law so this would be the better compared to exeter at 20/114

if you didn't get the points, they may accept you it depends on the university

hope this helps
SergioMZ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would pick Exeter. It's generally better regarded.
concubine
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think Birmingham might be better for law and I'd much rather live there but that's just me. :awesome:

A quick search and (yes, league tables sux blablabla) the Times definitely seem to think that Birmingham is the better of the two for law whereas Exeter is better overall.

Visiting a university >>> other people's opinions.
owlface
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by sss151)
I'm currently in the midst of doing my IB exams. I'm having to decide between either Birmingham or Exeter as my insurance. Both are asking for 36 points in IB and I'm planning on doing Law. Does anybody know which university is better suited for Law?

I would go to the one you like more because there isn't that much in it in rep, however Exeter does have the slight edge. No one can really say whether they will accept you with less than 36 points because there are too many variable involved- how close you are, how much they like you and most importantly how many people meet there offers in relation to places on the course. Can you find out which one is more oversubscribed? Presumably the one with less applicants will be more likely to take you with less than 36.
maximusbarr
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Actually you are wrong, there is a distinct gap in terms of reputation. Birmingham is consistently regarded as one of the top ten law schools in the country, the same cannot be said of Exeter. It's no where near as represented at the Bar and secondly in the law firms. So clear choice is Birmingham. But if it is going to be insurance, then Exeter because Birmingham will not accept less than their offer, it is quite competitive.
Tha_Black_Shinobi
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SergioMZ)
I would pick Exeter. It's generally better regarded.
Not in terms of Law. Birmingham I'd say if prestige was the deciding factor Birmingham would def. be ahead of Exeter. And law is one of the few fields where course reputation does genuinely matter
Jingers
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Reputation for Law: Birmingham > Exeter
Reputation in general: Exeter > Birmingham

Which one would be more lenient for Law? Exeter, especially because they have the Streatham (AAA) and Cornwall (AAB) campuses.

However, it depends what Exeter campus you have an offer from. If you miss AAA, I doubt you'd get into the Streatham campus, but they may offer you a spot in the Cornwall one. Apparently there's no difference between the two campuses, since they video link the lectures.

Personally, I'd go to Birmingham because I'm a city boy. Exeter just isn't the same type of city.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1116)
78.93%
Leave (298)
21.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise