Any experience with MSc IPE? Watch

Zombile
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi there,

I have an offer the MSc in International Political Economy at LSE. I would like to ask any current students if you coul share some of your experiences with me.

How is the workload for the programme? How well is academic staff supporting you?
How strong is the quantitative approach?
Why are there only like 6 courses to choose from, and is it easy to visit IR courses?
What career are you aspiring for with this degree? How do your think your chances are in business?

Thank you in advance for any comments.

Zombile
unknown demon
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Zombile)
Hi there,

I have an offer the MSc in International Political Economy at LSE. I would like to ask any current students if you coul share some of your experiences with me.

How is the workload for the programme? How well is academic staff supporting you?
Why are there only like 6 courses to choose from, and is it easy to visit IR courses?
What career are you aspiring for with this degree? How do your think your chances are in business?

Thank you in advance for any comments.

Zombile
I don't do this course but the friends I have on it do not have disimilar experience to myself.

- Lots of reading as in 3-10 readings per module per week (obviously you do not need to do all of them but it will help if you do a reasonable amount through the year)
- Staff approachable
- Teaching not so good (except Robert Wade does teach some courses and he's quite good)

- Unsure of this but most people are able to handle this particularly well
- Email admissions about this or a lecturer who teaches it, look on the lse website, academics publish their email addresses

- You can do any course you like as long as the convenor deems you appropriate and good enough to do it
- Also, some courses are 'capped' meaning only certain students from certain programmes can do it, so check when you get here, it will change year on year
- I would advice you to make your life easy that you pick 1 year long courses opposed to half year courses. You'll thank yourself at exam time.

- Most people are returning home and hope to work in NGOs etc some will obviously go on to do PhD etc and try for the U.N later or some may have the necessary experience and apply for U.N directly after school ends
- Alot will possibly try go into politics in their respective homelands
- As for a career in business? If you're talking about entrepreneurship then no degree is going to make you 'qualified' for that. If you're talking about 'corporate careers' i.e IB, MC or other industries then yes you will be fine as long as you have a decent bit of experience (internships) or solid extra-curricular activities
Zombile
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Thanks a lot for your detailed response!

I have a few follow-up questions , if you don't mind

What program are you studying exactly?

As in readings you mean like 3-10 articles of approx. 20 pages for each module? Wow, that's more than i expected

As regards careers, I expect that you can also go into typical "Economics" areas such as World Bank, IMF, OECD, etc??? Or will they think that you lack the mathematical skills for that?

Just out of curiosity, do you know where you are heading yet?

Cheers,
Zombile
Fares
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi Zombile,

I am currently a student at the LSE IPE program, I just finished my exams a week ago and working on my dissertation.

As for the readings, it varies between courses and topics. The total number of readings in some topics (e.g. the IMF course in the Politics of Money in the World Economy course) is over 30, while in others (e.g. History topics) is around 20. However, in all courses and topics the required readings are only 3.

The number of topics in each course is around 20 (10 per each term) but you are advised by the lecturers to only specialize in 5 or 6 topics. For the required core course, however, you are advised to read the required readings only for every topic.

The program is not quantitatively-oriented at all. Personally, I compensated for this deficiency by taking a Quantitative Economics course from the Economics department.

Professors are approachable, but not particularly kind.

I found the exams' level of difficulty to be very reasonable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (16)
18.82%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (36)
42.35%
Nope, not that interesting (33)
38.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed