Lord of the Rings Watch

Churchgirl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I was wondering whether the series is actually as good as i hear it is. Lately, i haven't had any free time to read books but i plan to change that during the summer holidays.
Thanks and can you suggest any other good books preferably some good series
seung12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh it is quite difficult to grasp at first but very much an epic
oh and as for recommendations A room with a view by Edward Morgan Forster...oh and it is not a series, but a very good read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Room_with_a_View
the greatest
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The lord of the rings books are one the best series of fantasy books!

They ensure that one who is a fan of books of this genre or similar indulge in the story, which is very well written and published!

All three books are fantastic reads, though for some people they seem to be quite advanced and hard to read at the same time, not to mention that in the books Tolkien commonly has a number of paragraphs describing certain scenes etc, before actually getting the narrative in!!

If you enjoy books which are of fantasy or are interested I would highly recommend it!

It has its ups and downs, but overall a great read!

PS I would recommend the hobbit before the lord of the rings, as it certianly gets one into the series plus the fact its easier to read, but at the same time maintains its status as a book with similar Repatoire to LOTR!

enjoy
Magic_007
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Though admittingly I have never read the series, the basic story is about some silly ring that must be thrown into this volcano, if you don't then evil will 'strike the hearts of men....yadda yadda yadda'. Two little hobbits walk there with many 'adventures' on the way.
seung12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Magic_007)
Though admittingly I have never read the series, the basic story is about some silly ring that must be thrown into this volcano, if you don't then evil will 'strike the hearts of men....yadda yadda yadda'. Two little hobbits walk there with many 'adventures' on the way.

:yep:
Churchgirl
Rep:
?
I think i'll give it a look over then
Oh and Lucy Honeychurch, doesn't she sound so lovely and inncoent, haha!
thank you
Churchgirl
Rep:
?
Huh, i only had one reply when i typed that O.o
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Really good book, although very long! Make sure you don't give up on it too soon if its slow to get going.
seung12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Churchgirl)
I think i'll give it a look over then
Oh and Lucy Honeychurch, doesn't she sound so lovely and inncoent, haha!
thank you

hahaha she does indeed, or you could always watch the Helena Bonham Carter as Lucy Honeychurch movie adaptation which is so beautiful...but still the book is superior :p:

here is the trailer..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsePqvPwqsY

oh and warning , the trailer contains nudity
Jeester
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If your not into EPIC reads download the audiobook?
Jelephant
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd definately recommend the Lord of the Rings series. Some scenes do have a tendency to drag on a bit, but I love Tolkien's storytelling. My dad used to read the Hobbit to me at bedtime and since then it's always been one of my favourite books :moon:

As for other suggestions, maybe look at Trudi Canavan's books? Or discworld if you're into that sort of craziness :p:
pinkpenguin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Trust me, it's got to be read. The Return of the King is one of the most engrossing things I've ever read. The last part of the book, that isn't in the film (people who've read it will know what I mean), is just downright awesome.

Stick it out until you get about 1/2 way through the first one, then it gets progressively better.
~ Purple Rose ~
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I wasn't a fan of LOTR. The first one was the best of them, I found the second quite boring. I'm not into fantasy books though, so if you are you will probably like it more than I did.
Puck_1991
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I read them when I was fifteen or so and have to say that I loved the story and the writing is really great but it gets really boring when there are pages after pages of descriptions. Especially in the second book. The only thing about LotR is that it's written in the style of an epic so the language is sometimes a bit hard and the style is "heavy" (this isn't very technical but I can't find another word to describe it).
If you persevere however I think you will enjoy it.
wardle1337
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
God no.

It takes about 8 chapters to get into, Tolkien loves dance dance around the obvious, the songs, the fact that there are long periods in which nothing happens.
Rob da Mop
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I found it a bit of a mission the first time, but when I've reread it (I'm rereading it for the fifth time at the moment ) it's become more and more lovely. If you're looking at the plot, as I do when I first read books, it is very slow, but when you start enjoying the atmosphere he builds it is brilliant.
HelloGoodbye
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm currently reading The Fellowship of the Ring and I find it so dull. I loved the films so I bought the books but I've only read half of the first book so far and most of it wasn't even in the film (probably cos it was too boring). I'm gonna carry on reading it though and hope I get into it. I'm a massive fan of the films and even have a LOTR tumblr http://strider-lotr.tumblr.com/
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's wonderful.
Pandora.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Read The Hobbit first . There are lots of little references at the start of TFoTR.
When you read The Fellowship of the Ring, it does take a while to get into but persevere. Trust me, it's worth it.

(Original post by HelloGoodbye)
I'm currently reading The Fellowship of the Ring and I find it so dull. I loved the films so I bought the books but I've only read half of the first book so far and most of it wasn't even in the film (probably cos it was too boring). I'm gonna carry on reading it though and hope I get into it. I'm a massive fan of the films and even have a LOTR tumblr http://strider-lotr.tumblr.com/
I'll follow you .
HelloGoodbye
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Pandora.)
Read The Hobbit first . There are lots of little references at the start of TFoTR.
When you read The Fellowship of the Ring, it does take a while to get into but persevere. Trust me, it's worth it.

I'll follow you .
I'm gonna read The Hobbit after I've read all 3 books, I can't wait for the film to come out next year
I've finally gotten into the fellowship so I'll probably finish it soon.
Thanks, what's your tumblr?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.6%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (227)
40.83%
Nope, not that interesting (220)
39.57%

Watched Threads