Are they allowed to ask this - McDonalds Interview Watch

xsurfingthesunx
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi, I went to an interview at McDonalds yesterday. It was my 2nd interview there and I was supposed to do an OJE (on the job evaluation) but it never happened and he just asked me basically the same questions I got asked before!

Anyway, the man interviewing me asked for my date of birth and i'm sure you're not allowed to do that in interviews, I gave it to him anyway, but was he allowed to ask that? He asked me at the end of the interview and just said he didn't have my DOB so wanted to take note of it?

I don't think i'll get the job because he said to me that from the course i'm doing at uni, do I think I might be more suited to working in an office environment than Mcds...don't think he knows how hard it is to get a part time office job without experience!! :rolleyes:
marshey
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by xsurfingthesunx)
Hi, I went to an interview at McDonalds yesterday. It was my 2nd interview there and I was supposed to do an OJE (on the job evaluation) but it never happened and he just asked me basically the same questions I got asked before!

Anyway, the man interviewing me asked for my date of birth and i'm sure you're not allowed to do that in interviews, I gave it to him anyway, but was he allowed to ask that? He asked me at the end of the interview and just said he didn't have my DOB so wanted to take note of it?

I don't think i'll get the job because he said to me that from the course i'm doing at uni, do I think I might be more suited to working in an office environment than Mcds...don't think he knows how hard it is to get a part time office job without experience!! :rolleyes:
Yes they are allowed to ask for your date of birth after you're hired, I'm not sure about before that. Why does it matter?
ectodermal
Report 8 years ago
Yes.
Pinball_heart
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It should be on your C.V, so I'd think there was no problem in asking it.
darigan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by xsurfingthesunx)

Well, they can't discriminate against you based on your age - But, if im not mistaken, McD operate a tiered basic wage for people of different ages between 16 - 23, so for the purpose of identifying which wage bracket your are in, they would need your DoB
pamelaa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Of course they are... geez, next it will be you're not allowed to tell them your name :rollseyes:
tldr22
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I thought this was going to be some kind of personal question like "How many sexual partners have you had in the past year?" or "Have you ever masturbated to animal pórn?"
Wenis
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh My God Report Them To The Authorities!!!!!
xsurfingthesunx
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Ok thanks. Was just wondering becuase i'm 20 and have never had a proper job before so just think it might affect whether i get the job or not, thats why I asked.
*MJ*
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's McDonalds - they're allowed to ask what ever the **** they want!
crazyspacemonkey
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Pinball_heart)
It should be on your C.V, so I'd think there was no problem in asking it.
No it shouldn't. There's no reason to put your age on your C.V.
Pinball_heart
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by crazyspacemonkey)
No it shouldn't. There's no reason to put your age on your C.V.
FOR EXAMPLE:
If you were to work in a supermarket they'd need to know how old you were, in order to sell alcohol, etc.
If you want a restaurant job, they need to know whether you can double up on bar.

Tbh I just think it makes a bit of sense.
Plus they need to know how much they're going to pay you.
rmhumphries
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They can ask after they employ you. If the job requires someone over 18, they have to say so in the job description.

I don't think they *should* before, but I am not certain on the law. They can however ask if you are over 16 before.
Adonis
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rmhumphries)
They can ask after they employ you. If the job requires someone over 18, they have to say so in the job description.
No. even before

"It is not unlawful to request a candidate's date of birth but an employer must be careful not to use it to discriminate."

from http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1841

Why do you care so much OP? they have reasons, like what level of pay, etc..
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Pinball_heart)
FOR EXAMPLE:
If you were to work in a supermarket they'd need to know how old you were, in order to sell alcohol, etc.
If you want a restaurant job, they need to know whether you can double up on bar.

Tbh I just think it makes a bit of sense.
Plus they need to know how much they're going to pay you.
They may need to know this information at some stage but when they do they'll ask for it. The CV is not the place to tell them.
rach [shikari]
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I never knew this, ive been asked my age before, in fact my interview yesterday asked me. wierd
Adonis
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rach [shikari])
I never knew this, ive been asked my age before, in fact my interview yesterday asked me. wierd
It is legal.

I posted a link ^^
khaa9666
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
they can't ask your dat of birth if you're applying for a job, goodness gracious me whatever next, they'll be asking for you national insurance number next.

Not on my watch they won't, grab your placards people we're hitting the streets, we shouldn't stand for this anymore.
CuteStar*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Is this not allowed then?
ste_mc_efc
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tldr22)
I thought this was going to be some kind of personal question like "How many sexual partners have you had in the past year?" or "Have you ever masturbated to animal pórn?"
"Have you ever seen a grown man naked?"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1460)
79.61%
Leave (374)
20.39%

Watched Threads