The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Followed by "....would you like to?"

And yes, of course they can. They can ask any reasonable and non-offensive question. You don't have to answer, mind you.
CuteStar*
Is this not allowed then?

It has been stated several times in this thread (and authoritative sources have been given to prove) that asking for a candidate's date of birth or age is perfectly legal.
Pinball_heart
It should be on your C.V, so I'd think there was no problem in asking it.

I've been told by career advisers and those in HR NOT to put your age on a CV, because companies can't be ageist, therefore if you put it on your CV it kinda implies that you think age is important.
Obviously you do have to be over a certain age to do certain jobs, eg, you have to be over 18 to work BOH at pizza hut, however generally you don't need to put it on your CV.
Good bloke
They may need to know this information at some stage but when they do they'll ask for it. The CV is not the place to tell them.

Definitely this.

You want your employer to see your attributes first rather than them sneakily discriminate against your age. It is not a perfect system as they can usually work it out by the year you left secondary school.

They could always bin your CV as you haven't omitted it, but clealy Maccy Ds wanted you. Hopefully this works to your advantage but they shouldnt have to ask until they have hired you.

Regarding the selling of alcohol, yes you need to be 18+ but surely the applicant would be aware of this before applying for the role.
Also about the whole 'age on your CV', your information should give an indication of how old you are
for example
- I am at university studying.....
-I am currently completing my alevels
-I am in college doing a BTEC
-In my GCSEs i got.... etc etc
I hope you weren't offended...