Student Finance after dropping out Watch

Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago

I've read through a few threads on here but I'm still not sure where I'm going to stand on the money front.

I started my first course in 2006 straight after finishing college. After a few months I realised that that course was wrong for me and so left the University in January.

In 2007 I tried again; different course, different University. However, through some things that were going on in my life at the time, I had to leave for a second time due to depression, anxiety, etc.

I now feel I'm in a position to try again. I know exactly what I want to do, where I'm headed, etc. I have an unconditional offer at my home University; I'm just not sure where I stand on the finance situation.

I know that students are allowed one year's funding to allow for one false start. However, as a total, the two courses I took only gave me one year's funding. I'm not sure whether this counts as me having received one or two years' funding? Also, I've read that they may take a medical situation into account when it comes to depression, but what kind of proof would they require? When I left University in 2007 it was due to me being very depressed and as such it was something I kept to myself for some time after that. It took me about a year and a half to tell anybody what I was going through and sort it out - is this going to work against me?

Sorry if I am being unclear; I'm just not sure how best to explain things, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, one last thing; I tried applying online as soon as I received my unconditional offer, but the application said that since I had taken a course before, my application was going to be referred elsewhere and I could call a number for further explanation. I've not heard anything since then, however.
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
You started 2 different courses. As far as SFE are concerned they count part years as full years so you have had 2 years funding. As it stands you are entitled to length of new course plus one year minus years already had. You will have to fund year 1 of your new course yourself. You need further advice about mitigation. I doubt your 2007 experience will get any mitigation as you didn't tell anyone so there is no proof.

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
new posts
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.


University open days

  • University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (36)
No (1)

Watched Threads

View All