Turn on thread page Beta

Actuary Question.. watch

    • Thread Starter

    So I am a student just finished my first year in Mathematics at University and I was looking at becoming a student member of the Faculty of Actuaries and possibly sit one of the exams before I graduate to give me a better chance of getting a graduate position.

    However, the entry requirements state that you need to have A-Level (or equivalent) Maths at A to become a student member and I only achieved a B.

    Even though I have completed much more complex Maths at university it is quite frustrating that I cannot become a member. Does anyone think it would be beneficial to take Maths again as an open learning course at college so I can get an A?

    I have also noticed that a lot of employers ask for an A in school level Maths so that may be another reason to do it.

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I could achieve the A easily I just didnt take my school exams to seriously when perhaps I should have!


    United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland:
    5.1 Holds a degree awarded by a University in the United Kingdom or the Republic of Ireland or by the former Council for National Academic Awards and has either:
    studied mathematical sciences as a major subject, as part of an honours degree course and gained at least third class honours in that degree; or
    obtained a first or second class honours degree in any subject, together with at least a Grade C at Advanced Level in any mathematical subject or such other standard in mathematics as the Councils consider to be equivalent.
    5.2 Those who hold:
    two passes at Advanced Level. One of the Advanced Level passes must be in a mathematical subject with at least Grade B (or Grade C in the case of Further Mathematics or Higher Mathematics) and the other pass must be with at least Grade C;
    (Note: Performance in "S" level papers and AS level passes may be taken into account.)
    three Scottish National Qualifications Authority Higher passes (one of which must be in Mathematics at Grade A and one of which must be in English);
    the Irish Leaving Certificate in at least five subjects including English (one of the passes must be in Mathematics with a Grade A);
    other qualifications which the Councils consider to be equivalent to the above

    So you need BC at A level with the B in maths or a C in further maths

    It may not be an official rule to have an A in A -Level Maths, but you are correct OP. A lot of the top Actuarial Constancies (such as Watson Towers and PwC) require you to have achieved an A in Maths, or your app would be auto filtered out.

    I think you should talk to you course director in this regard and check as I believe a lot of students on Math degree would be interested in actuary as a career. And try to get a 1st in year one so it gives a strong impression and might get easier for you to get the internships.
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources


Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo


"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.