Yet Another Colleges Question Watch

Trinket
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I've been given an unconditional offer to study Philosophy with Foundation, with 1 year at Queen's Campus, then 3 at Durham. However I do have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to.

Will I be allocated to a Queen's Campus college (Stephenson or Snow) for the full 4 years? Or will I be part of a Queen's college for one year, or none at all? My UCAS Track says campus 4, which I believe is St Cuthberts Society. Is this right? I'm kind of confused... any help is appreciated.
shorley_wall
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Trinket)
I've been given an unconditional offer to study Philosophy with Foundation, with 1 year at Queen's Campus, then 3 at Durham. However I do have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to.

Will I be allocated to a Queen's Campus college (Stephenson or Snow) for the full 4 years? Or will I be part of a Queen's college for one year, or none at all? My UCAS Track says campus 4, which I believe is St Cuthberts Society. Is this right? I'm kind of confused... any help is appreciated.
Hi, I'm currently on Foundation at Queens and I have had a year at Stevo from October I'm at St Cuths. Next year the foundation year is changing and some of it will be done from Durham Campus. Whether this means you'll have any lectures at Queens I wouldn't know but I would guess that you'll be in Cuths for the 4 years and commute for any lectures at Queens.

Sorry I can't be more help but maybe try ringing the foundation office at Queens as they might be able to give an idea of the split between campus if any.

Any other questions feel free to shout me.
astro67
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The most likely explanation is that all four years will be spent at Durham and you'll be a Cuth's student throughout that time. The Foundation programme is changing from October onwards such that most people progressing to degree programmes in Durham city would expect to study the foundation year in Durham as well. If you were studying the foundation year in Stockton, you would be a member of one of the two Stockton Colleges for that year and would transfer to a Durham city College for the rest of the degree programme if the degree programme was based in Durham.
Trinket
Rep:
?
Ah okay thanks for clearing that up guys, much appreciated.

I haven't been able to find anything about the change in Foundation programme from Stockton to Durham - is this for all or some Foundation courses, if you know?
MrGumby
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

I study Philosophy at Durham (I don't really know anything about the foundation course though) so if you have any questions, feel free to ask me!
Trinket
Rep:
?
(Original post by MrGumby)
I study Philosophy at Durham (I don't really know anything about the foundation course though) so if you have any questions, feel free to ask me!
What's the course like? What kind of workload do you have? Is there a steep learning curve between first and second year, as I've heard this is the case.
MrGumby
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What's the course like? What kind of workload do you have? Is there a steep learning curve between first and second year, as I've heard this is the case.
Hi, sorry for not replying sooner - the exam period has just ended. I'm a first year student so I can't tell you what the step up is like, but I've heard similar things so I expect there is a steep curve.

The course is really good, I've really enjoyed it. You have 4 core modules which are: Knowledge and Reality, Ethics and Values, Reading Philosophy and Logic. All of those are very good. You then have two free choices, but one has to be from the philosophy department. This year they only had Introduction to the History and Philosophy of Science and History and Theory of Medicine. I took them both. IHPS was really good and I'm taking a philosophy of science module next year as I enjoy it so much! I didn't really like HTM. There is going to be a new optional module run with the Classics Department (I think it is with them), about Ancient Philosophy (and maybe Indian Philsophy-I think they said this...) which looks really good and I wish it was around this year.

You don't get many contact hours, but there is a lot of reading. You can probably get away with just doing the minimum in first year, but you are expected to do a lot of work outside of lectures.

Hope that helped and feel free to ask me any more questions.
Trinket
Rep:
?
Hi, sorry for not replying sooner - the exam period has just ended. I'm a first year student so I can't tell you what the step up is like, but I've heard similar things so I expect there is a steep curve.

The course is really good, I've really enjoyed it. You have 4 core modules which are: Knowledge and Reality, Ethics and Values, Reading Philosophy and Logic. All of those are very good. You then have two free choices, but one has to be from the philosophy department. This year they only had Introduction to the History and Philosophy of Science and History and Theory of Medicine. I took them both. IHPS was really good and I'm taking a philosophy of science module next year as I enjoy it so much! I didn't really like HTM. There is going to be a new optional module run with the Classics Department (I think it is with them), about Ancient Philosophy (and maybe Indian Philsophy-I think they said this...) which looks really good and I wish it was around this year.

You don't get many contact hours, but there is a lot of reading. You can probably get away with just doing the minimum in first year, but you are expected to do a lot of work outside of lectures.

Hope that helped and feel free to ask me any more questions.
Thanks for your response. The course sounds interesting, and varied. Can you tell me what the reading is like? As in, is it full philosophical works such as Meditations or Enquiries, or more like supporting texts?
MrGumby
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks for your response. The course sounds interesting, and varied. Can you tell me what the reading is like? As in, is it full philosophical works such as Meditations or Enquiries, or more like supporting texts?
Mainly supporting texts. You do read full philosophical works (especially for the reading philosophy module) but most of the reading is from supporting texts.

Just to add, I found out that it is actually a second year module. Check this out: http://www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handboo...earch_modcode=

The ones starting with 1 are first year, 2 second year and so on...
Trinket
Rep:
?
Mainly supporting texts. You do read full philosophical works (especially for the reading philosophy module) but most of the reading is from supporting texts.

Just to add, I found out that it is actually a second year module. Check this out: http://www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handboo...earch_modcode=

The ones starting with 1 are first year, 2 second year and so on...
Thanks MrGumby, that is very very useful. Rep for you.
angelmxxx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks MrGumby, that is very very useful. Rep for you.
The course structure (which modules are compulsory, etc) is here:
www.dur.ac.uk/faculty.handbook
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (295)
26.06%
Yes - they're famous (288)
25.44%
No I don't (549)
48.5%

Watched Threads