Rowing at Oxford Watch

JPL
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi,

I will be starting at Oxford this October, and I am really keen to begin rowing. I am not a complete novice, as we used to row in sports lessons at school, but I am very very rusty!

I am keen to find out more about it - how often do novices train and when? What are the facilities like? What are the average 2k erg times for women at college level in the first two boats?

Any information you have would be great. Thank you!
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JPL)
Hi,

I will be starting at Oxford this October, and I am really keen to begin rowing. I am not a complete novice, as we used to row in sports lessons at school, but I am very very rusty!

I am keen to find out more about it - how often do novices train and when? What are the facilities like? What are the average 2k erg times for women at college level in the first two boats?

Short answer: it depends.
Slightly longer answer: they'll tell you all about that during fresher's week, but if you're keen to know in advance, email your college's boat club. I'm sure they'll be happy to help you.
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JPL)
Hi,

Usually the novices will have 2 or 3 outings per week, but it's fairly common for them to segregate early on into "people who fancied trying it out" and "potential 1st VIII / serious rowers" who might train more often. My novices have always baulked at the idea of early morning outings (and the 1st VIIIs tend to prefer training then anyway) so I used to have a long outing with them on a Saturday and then usually a weekday evening. "Standard" will vary hugely by college. In my time at Jesus I was the only woman on the squad to break 8 minutes, and a sub 8:30 time would pretty much get you a spot in the first eight (with ~8:45 being the benchmark for the second VIII) but we only ever did time trials at the start of each term and did very little erg work - I could row a lot harder last year when I had virtually no water time and plenty of time sat in the gym. To compare, Queens used to do a 2k every week and 7:40 seems more par for the course.
pinkpenguin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Also remember there is the novice-only Christ Church Regatta at the end of November. Colleges will try and put as many boats in there as possible so are absolutely enthusiastic for complete novices to join.

I was a novice last year and I'm rowing in my colleges 2nd VIII next week in Summer Eights. I was perhaps rowing 2-3 times a week in the Autumn? It depended on the weather. We had a particularly bad winter this year so hardly anyone was allowed on the river, so we did a lot of erg work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (58)
19.46%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (119)
39.93%
Nope, not that interesting (121)
40.6%

Watched Threads