My GP now takes it for granted that I'm not a virgin. Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
This is incredibly embarrassing.
Once, when I went to my GP, she asked me if I would like to have a Clamidia test. I said I didn't really need it because I hadn't had sex, she said "So you're not in a relationship?" to which I replied "No, I mean I was during the Easter holidays, and we fooled around a bit but it was nothing serious, we didn't have sex". To which she replied "Hm well you'd better have it just in case. And a pregnancy test as well". So I did and, needless to say, they were both negative.

Today I went again, and she asked me if I wanted another clamydia test. (Have you been with anyone else?) I said no, I hadn't.

I mean, I don't understand it. She takes it for granted that I've had sex before even though I've denied it. It's like she doesn't believe me . Or maybe I'm not assertive enough and I sound a bit confused/ embarrassed when discussing the matter, as though I'm not certain.

Should I take this as a sign? I mean, I am 18 after all and soon everyone is going to start assuming I've had sex, at uni they'll all be talking about boys and sex and they'll just take it for granted because we're old enough.

I mean, you would assume that a 20-30 year old has had sex before, wouldn't you? what if i get to that age and nothing's happened?

I don't want to be in a relationship, because now I think that most, if not all, guys are ********s, I've seem them mistreat girls that I know and I don't like it. I've heard some pretty ugly stories about relationships and sex and I don't want to go through that.

Anyways sorry for the rant, I just needed to let out steam.

If you couldn't be bothered to read the above paragraphs, here's a very brief summary: my GP thinks I've had sex before when I haven't.

Life sucks.
Fuzzpig
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ask her for a treatment to remedy your virginity.

She may refer you to a male doctor.
chemical_bex
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think it's just cause they have to offer them to people our age
Plus, you could always be lying to her, she's probably just trying to keep you healthy
I reckon a lot of young people would lie about having sex cause they're embarrassed? Maybe..
village_anonymous
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I think that most, if not all, guys are ********s
And girls are so bland and annoying that you get bored of them after a couple of shags and crave male company.
ididthis4u
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
This can only mean she thinks you're hot and slutty.

This is a complement.
HARRY PUTAH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Holy **** girl, I would disect that if you posted on your name but I CBA, so therefore I shall do you a favour.

GUM clinic nurses talk to you like that because the amount of idiots passing through their doors destroys their hopes in humanity with quality lines such as "deeerp! I didn't know you got pregnant if he pulls out".

See where I'm goign with this?

if you're so un-in-love with men, get a lesbo lover named Stacey with HATES MALES on her knuckles and fornicate on the dance floor. I'm sure you'd put them off for life.
OceanInTheSky
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just simply say: I've never had sex before, so I don't need a pregnancy test.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by vilage_idoit)
And girls are so bland and annoying that you get bored of them after a couple of shags and crave male company.
Shut up.
SergioMZ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Don't worry. I guess that's GPs' job. However, if you already said no, and she insisted, you could report it to somebody. Don't know how the NHS works, I know about the Catalan NHS (yes, here they are totally different depending on whether you live in an autonomy or another), but not the British.

People have sex for the first time when they:
1. Feel like doing it.
2. Have an actual chance of doing it.
And they have to be both at the same time, only one means no sex.

So, take your time, and do it whenever you want to do it, don't feel pressured.

Life doesn't suck, just some living people do. Good luck.
leelou905
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would think it was her duty to stop people at that age being so naive and having sex without protection etc etc, If you don't like that she assumes you've had sex then change nurse/dr, simples.
cherrycola32
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well you did accept a pregnancy test! Think of it from her point of view, that does look like you've had sex!
But, I don't see why it really matters anyway? Surely you don't see her that often, and why do you care if she thinks you've had sex, its not a big deal!
village_anonymous
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Shut up.
Stop being boring.
Anonymous #1
I understand that she needs to make sure because most young people my age do have sex, so it's understandable that she'd assume that. I'm not blaming her for anything, it's my problem really. I can't seem to pull and I don't really want to, but it just seem weird because everybody else has.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by vilage_idoit)
Stop being boring.
ditto.

no-one's asked your opinion. Go away.
kangeroo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just go out and shag someone and then it won't bother you when she says you have, cuz you will have!
I'm a genious.
RickRoll
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
What did you go to the doctor for in the first place? If you go in and complain about your lady parts then of course they are going to suggest a chlamydia test. Also, you don't have to have had intercourse to get it, it can be transmitted orally as well.
Melissa_S
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The NHS places quite a lot of emphasis on offering chlamydia tests to under 25's at the mo. Whenever I go to see the nurse/doctor they offer me one, and said basically they just have to document that they've offered it (regardless as to whether you take it or not).

Admittedly the making you take a pregnancy test is odd. I definitely don't think it's good practice to just be throwing around pregnancy tests just because she suspects you're having sex. Talk about making people paranoid!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by RickRoll)
What did you go to the doctor for in the first place? If you go in and complain about your lady parts then of course they are going to suggest a chlamydia test. Also, you don't have to have had intercourse to get it, it can be transmitted orally as well.
I think i was originally complaining about a tummy bug, I had been quite sick the night before.
TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
X
I think you're making a bit of a big deal about this. Since I was about fifteen, my doctor has sometimes asked me roughly how many units of alcohol I drink per week. I don't drink alcohol at all and never have, and I'm nineteen in a few days, so for four years, my response to that question has been none. Doctors always look like they disbelieve me (in early days, their response was to say they couldn't tell my parents; nowadays, it's just to look at me suspiciously) ... but that's their problem, isn't it?

To be fair to them, you don't really respond to their questions and offers as someone who hasn't had sex. If my doctor was to offer to put me in contact with an AA group, I would decline because I don't have any use for it. You maintain you haven't had sex, and yet accepted the chlamydia and pregnancy test.
sassy123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
she probs thought you looked like a **** tbh,Not saying you do though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (105)
19.52%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (221)
41.08%
Nope, not that interesting (212)
39.41%

Watched Threads