Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've got an offer for English Studies at Nottingham, but I've recently decided I want to study Philosophy instead, as it looks fascinating, unfortunately more so than English. I've emailed the Philosophy admissions department, but they told me the course is over-subscribed and they are not transferring anyone pre-arrival. I was told I will have to try to transfer when I'm there, although it's unlikely there will be space.

The way people have talked about it on here, I've always got the impression it's not impossible to switch courses once you're at Nottingham, but what I've just been told by the department isn't very encouraging.

Can anyone offer me any advice on how to get the transfer? My offer is unconditional, but shall I call up on results day incase any Philosophy applicants have missed their grades and spaces appear? Has anyone been able to make this transfer once they're at uni? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Help, anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Have to be patient - Nottingham Uni staff hardly keeps tabs on the forum, and if they did, they wouldn't spend all day doing it!

It's not impossible to switch courses, but it's dependent upon spaces being available on the course. In all honesty, the vast majority of degree courses in the UK have people drop out in the first week, term or year. I don't see any reason why there wouldn't be any space later on in the year, but in the first couple of weeks I can't imagine many would drop out. You would need to wait a while before transferring. What you'll find though, is that if you do have to wait a while to transfer, that you'll have to start from 1st year again, because they're not similar courses and it's unlikely any of your English modules will be on the Philosophy programme.

But it's certainly not guaranteed that you'll be able to switch courses, and the university isn't really obliged to let you. They'll usually do their best, especially if you're performing well (I think there's a 55% threshold before it goes to discretion/AAAC to decide).

Give results day a go, because a good number of people might not meet their offer, and you can get in first, especially if it goes into Clearing. The only way I see you getting the transfer is starting your English programme, and contacting the Philosophy department a number of terms throughout the first term - the first week, second week, 4th week 7th week etc. Ask if there's any spaces, and if so, who the course administrator is, to endorse your course transfer form.

I've not known anyone to make that transfer, but I've sat on the AAAC panel and switched the courses of other students, although mainly within the same faculty e.g. Engineering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Have to be patient - Nottingham Uni staff hardly keeps tabs on the forum, and if they did, they wouldn't spend all day doing it!

It's not impossible to switch courses, but it's dependent upon spaces being available on the course. In all honesty, the vast majority of degree courses in the UK have people drop out in the first week, term or year. I don't see any reason why there wouldn't be any space later on in the year, but in the first couple of weeks I can't imagine many would drop out. You would need to wait a while before transferring. What you'll find though, is that if you do have to wait a while to transfer, that you'll have to start from 1st year again, because they're not similar courses and it's unlikely any of your English modules will be on the Philosophy programme.

But it's certainly not guaranteed that you'll be able to switch courses, and the university isn't really obliged to let you. They'll usually do their best, especially if you're performing well (I think there's a 55% threshold before it goes to discretion/AAAC to decide).

Give results day a go, because a good number of people might not meet their offer, and you can get in first, especially if it goes into Clearing. The only way I see you getting the transfer is starting your English programme, and contacting the Philosophy department a number of terms throughout the first term - the first week, second week, 4th week 7th week etc. Ask if there's any spaces, and if so, who the course administrator is, to endorse your course transfer form.

I've not known anyone to make that transfer, but I've sat on the AAAC panel and switched the courses of other students, although mainly within the same faculty e.g. Engineering.
    I wasn't really waiting for Nottingham's staff to reply, actually, just anyone who's been in a similar situation or knows anything about it. Thanks for the advice, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jannike)
    I wasn't really waiting for Nottingham's staff to reply, actually, just anyone who's been in a similar situation or knows anything about it. Thanks for the advice, though.
    Yeah, it's just you seemed a tad impatient.

Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.