Turn on thread page Beta

How do you revise History? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of what board or whether you are studying for AS or A2, how do you revise History?

ReputationRep:
    1) memorise event
    2) write it out
    3) repeat as required.

ReputationRep:
    rote

ReputationRep:
    Exam practice, revise all the events.

ReputationRep:
    do exam questions,
    its more about how you apply knowledge to the question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ AgnieszkaA)
    1) memorise event
    2) write it out
    3) repeat as required.
    This is what I do as well :yep:

I usually write out a timeline for the period I'm revising. I then try and memorise the table and write it out from memory in a blank table. I keep repeating this until I can get all the events correcy, and in the right order also.

ReputationRep:
    I wrote out a timeline and read through it a few times. Yesterday I looked through my textbook and wrote headings of all the topics I struggle with, I then wrote facts that I already knew about the topic (i.e. Schacht's economic policy: introduced the New Plan in 1934 which set up trading negotiations with Balkan and South American nationstates to stabilise the German deficit.) then read through the textbook topic and wrote further things I remembered from reading that particular topic.

Basically, learn events, learn leaders, learn laws. Hope this helps. Good luck!

*subscribes*

Guys, how do you remember all the BS you need to learn for the exam?

What about dates and that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    *subscribes*

Guys, how do you remember all the BS you need to learn for the exam?

What about dates and that?
    dates : personally i repeat them to myself in my head.
    keep repeating the date with the event in my head, must build up association or something because they dont leave once i put them in there.

ReputationRep:
    straight-out notes, brain storms, timelines, extra reading, practice questions.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to write out my notes, gathering all the information on the topic I have [and now adding more to it].
    Then I condense them down considerably, usually making tables or mind maps with it.
    I read and read and read.
    Practice questions [in plan form] and make up rhymes or use images to remember key quotes or dates.

I take most of it in as I go along and then cement my knowledge of names, days, quotes etc in the few hours preceding the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Mind maps for sections of the course

Make mind maps of facts, analysis and dates, and remember it all!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing IB, I don't know about A level but IB is really centred on how well you write your essay, so thats what I do I also record myself reading out my essays so I can listen to them on the bus

ReputationRep:
    i find history is just the more hours you put in, the better. I personally write out a checklist of the topics with bullet points of the main events/questions, then build from there.

If i go through a topic and can't remember bits then i go more in depth.

But then just answer exam questions and you will find the things that you arent 100% on.

ReputationRep:
    all the above & practise your essay techniques

ReputationRep:
    For remembering facts, I flesh out my notes with different textbooks, read, re-read, then make loads of spider diagrams.

Facts can only get you so far though; that's probably the easiest bit of A Level history. It's more about applying your knowledge and being able to construct a convincing and sustained argument with precise selection of relevant material... therefore, practice questions and mark schemes will be your best friend.

ReputationRep:
    By cramming the night before

All i need is 40% so meh

ReputationRep:
    Revise all the information and practice exam questions.

ReputationRep:
    With a piece of Samon on my head.

I like Samon :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghast)
    Regardless of what board or whether you are studying for AS or A2, how do you revise History?
    This is a relatively simple case.

The revision should be broken into
    - Knowledge of the topic
    - Exam technique.

Knowledge of the topic
    In terms of the exam, nothing will be more important than knowing your topic back to front for the exam.

The following are helpful
    - Bullletpointing chapters, or sections of chapters in books
    - Creating cue cards in order to improve on-the-spot recollection of knowledge
    - End of topic questions in your textbook
    - Past papers

If you have more time on your hands
    - Try reading some historiography on your subject. e.g. Germany responsible for pursuing a campaign of aggression and conquest [Fischer]
    - Read articles from credible sources to deepen your knowledge.
    - Have discussions with other people doing the same unit as you, about particular events.

Exam technique
    At every stage you want to balance your argument against counter arguments. Always argue extent--which factor was most important, and why? You're working with balancing the various influences.

Historiography fits in here, too. Different historians and schools of history have different weights on different aspects. Compare the evidentiary support for their conclusions and situate your own argument within their work. One way to do this is to qualify their arguments, to extend their conclusions to a different period, region, or aspect of history than they worked in, or to synthesise different approaches.

More help here - Clicky

Hope this helps

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 20, 2010

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.