The Student Room Group
Reply 1
S2 a million times over.

Avoid D1. Seriously the whole thing is mind numbingly boring, applying tedious algorithms. (D2 however is OK for the most part).
Well, what about M1? Its actually not that bad, it just requires you to think a bit about the problems before rushing into it - D1 looks hella boring though, and statistics is pretty dull
ThisIsAbsolution
Well, what about M1? Its actually not that bad, it just requires you to think a bit about the problems before rushing into it - D1 looks hella boring though, and statistics is pretty dull

I tried mechanics briefly, but I find it really hard as I'm not good at physics :p:
Reply 4
D1 is easy. Far easier than S2. M1 you'll find very easy if you have done Physics at AS/A2.

Basically...

D1 if you want something easy to sail through (it's just remembering algorithms as somebody already said).
S2 if you want something more challenging and interesting.
M1 if you're good at Physics.
D1 is really boring but really easy, you will make random stupid mistakes during VERY long boring questions...

S2 is not too bad, a LOT easier than S1...

If i was going for max grade would probably just go for D1 though...
Reply 6
Make any mistakes in D1 and you will be ****ed by the mark scheme for it.
Came out with 90%+ in all other modules and thought I'd got near enough full marks and ended up with 70. S2 is actually quite interesting IMO.
I'll be doing bio, chem and maths next year and apparently A2 chem is :eek:
I kind of want to go for the easier one because of this, but I saw my friend's D1 paper before and it looked so dull!
I'm still undecided, but thank you for the answers :smile:
Reply 8
From my own experience, both are relatively straight forward (depending on which Maths board you're studying with.) Decision is probably easier to understand but as a direct consequence the grade boundaries for its exam papers are generally quite high. Statistics 2 has some interesting concepts but it's not exactly riveting material.

However, taking either isn't going to hinder you greatly. If it was me, I would take Decision 1.
Reply 9
Decision.Decison.Decision! Boring: yes. dull: yes. But my god it so easy!
I've done both so I'd say
S2 if you want to be actually working
D1 if you want a good grade the easy way
Decision if you're looking at an easy module.

I taught myself it over about 6 weeks. It baffles me how it's even A Level. The first 2 chapters (at least) are just adding up.
You wanna do medicine? Do stats, it will be much more useful to you :smile:
Going_To_California
I tried mechanics briefly, but I find it really hard as I'm not good at physics :p:

Oh thats fair enough.

Its a tough choice in that case, i'd go for S2 - if it involves hypothesis testing, its basically easy marks in my opinion
Reply 14
S2 :yep:
Well D1 is easier than S2, but universities will prefer you to have S2 and not D1. Also, my friend has done both S1 and S2, and she found S1 really boring, but loves S2, so it may get better.

The grade boundaries for D1 are usually quite high so you have to factor that into account. Good luck with whichever you choose though.

Latest