Headstart courses Watch

ali p
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I recently became interested in an engineering career and found out about the headstart courses, which i am very interesting in doing next summer. I have a few questions regarding the courses:

1. How easy is it to get a place on one of the courses, particularly the ones at top unis such as Cambridge?? Is it based on academic achievements or references or both??? My GCSE grades are in my sig if this is any help.
2. Are they worthwhile doing? I'd ideally like it to help me decide whether or not to persue this career and also to have a good time.
3. Do you get lots of advice and info on all the branches of engineering, as i'd really advice on all the different options and paths available.
4. Would it help me get an offer at top unis??? I guess it would show that i know for sure that i like engineering, and that i am motivated enough to do a course in the summer, but would it be a deciding factor do you think???

Thanks in advance, i'd really appreciate any help and advice
ponjavic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ali p)
I recently became interested in an engineering career and found out about the headstart courses, which i am very interesting in doing next summer. I have a few questions regarding the courses:

1. How easy is it to get a place on one of the courses, particularly the ones at top unis such as Cambridge?? Is it based on academic achievements or references or both??? My GCSE grades are in my sig if this is any help.
2. Are they worthwhile doing? I'd ideally like it to help me decide whether or not to persue this career and also to have a good time.
3. Do you get lots of advice and info on all the branches of engineering, as i'd really advice on all the different options and paths available.
4. Would it help me get an offer at top unis??? I guess it would show that i know for sure that i like engineering, and that i am motivated enough to do a course in the summer, but would it be a deciding factor do you think???

Don't worry, with those grades and you being a girl you're basicly in :rolleyes:
bluenoxid
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ali p)

They are worthwhile. i thouroughly enjoyed mine at bath this year. Well worth the money.

See the photos from it here http://bathheadstartphotos2005.fotopic.net/

To not go if you want to do engineering, is stupid
dimexi
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ali p)

I think a headstart course will lookabsolutely great on ur personal statement when u come to do one, it will give u an edge over others i recommend it
ali p
Rep:
?
Thanks - i am definitely going to apply then! The only problem i have noticed is that lots of the courses run before i have broken up for the hols. Do schools normally give you the time off to go and attend one??? I really want to go on one!
dimexi
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
mmm! thats a good question.. i dont think that schools will give you time off to do another course.. but the best bet is for you to enquire they just might do
bluenoxid
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
They will give you time off, no matter what. This will help you get into a good course at uni.

By July you will have finished your exams and starting to do A level Work at a slow pace. A nice letter now pointing out that this will help you should suffice at all but the most fascist of Private Schools.

[offtopic]I was chatting with someone who said theyre Private School would only give them 2 days a term to go to Open Days. WTF. I did 3 plus a headstart course in 3 weeks when I had exams.[/offtopic]

And one last thing, GET YOUR APPLICATION FORM IN NOW TO ENSURE YOU GET A PLACE
dimexi
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Noxid)
They will give you time off, no matter what. This will help you get into a good course at uni.

By July you will have finished your exams and starting to do A level Work at a slow pace. A nice letter now pointing out that this will help you should suffice at all but the most fascist of Private Schools.

[offtopic]I was chatting with someone who said theyre Private School would only give them 2 days a term to go to Open Days. WTF. I did 3 plus a headstart course in 3 weeks when I had exams.[/offtopic]

And one last thing, GET YOUR APPLICATION FORM IN NOW TO ENSURE YOU GET A PLACE
o sorry, seems to contradict what i said.. didnt know that they would give you time off...
I guess its best you ask though
JennLlama
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I went on a Headstart-type-thing just before my final year at school and it was great definitely recommend those kinda things. I was actually on my summer holidays by the time it was running but all the people from English schools had got time off to go, so I'd say ask and see! They probably will since it's educational and everything.
(Original post by Noxid)
Apparently my school now says you can go to a maximum of 2 Open Days ever during school time :rolleyes: That's a great idea...(!)
Jenn xx
ali p
Rep:
?
Thanks! I asked my physics teacher and she said that it was a great idea, and thinks that they would let me take some time off (its only 4 days!), as it would benefit my uni application.

Apparently my school now says you can go to a maximum of 2 Open Days ever during school time That's a great idea...(!)
Jenn xx
We are allowed 3 days off to go to open days, apparently there are plenty at weekends too though.
dimexi
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
o good good go for it its great
bluenoxid
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by dimexi)
o good good go for it its great
:ditto:
Where are you thinking of going to?
dimexi
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Noxid)
:ditto:
O i was giving general advice dont intend to go for a headstart course.. im already 3 yrs into my degree lol or maybe your question wasnt directed at me? lol
Are you doing a headstart course?
sugardaddy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Are there any Headstart courses for business / economics?
Smaber
Report 13 years ago
Best to search for it.

Me and 2 friends went and did an INSIGHT course at Exeter. So glad I went. And if it makes the school look good then they'll let you go lol. And yeah, does make you look good on your personal statement.
bluenoxid
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by dimexi)
O i was giving general advice dont intend to go for a headstart course.. im already 3 yrs into my degree lol or maybe your question wasnt directed at me? lol
Are you doing a headstart course?
Sorry. I was actually agreeing with your advice and asking Alip where she was going?

I did a Headstart Course Last year at Bath and loved it. I try and encourage people to do it.
dimexi
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Noxid)
Sorry. I was actually agreeing with your advice and asking Alip where she was going?

I did a Headstart Course Last year at Bath and loved it. I try and encourage people to do it.
i thought as much cool
bluenoxid
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by np187)
Are there any Headstart courses for business / economics?
This link takes you to recommended extra curriculars for As/A Level students

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t152614.html

Economics doesnt seem to have headstart courses but those comps would look quite good.
immobiliser
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I went to Bradford uni in june 2003 for a headstart course and loved it. i was quite young at the time compared to other people who were on it..i was 15. I hadnt conisdered engineering and so thought it was a great opportunity to get an insight into another career possibility. We covered all aspects of engineering except chemical engineering...i didnt have a CLUE at the time what the different sorts of eng were...i said to a guy that i quite enjoyed chemistry, were there any other courses in engineering and hey presto he mentioned chem eng.

initially i decided against it and went lookin for course in chemistry at universities during open days...this being a year and a half later. i looked into graduate opportunities in chemistry and decided to opt for chem eng instead since i wasnt enjoying chemistry at advanced higher enough to merit doing it purely on its own at uni. Chem Eng intertwines skilld from Chemistry, Maths and Physics so that's the attraction factor for me (I'm about to start Chemical Engineering with a Year Abroad at Imperial College)

Bottom line for me...had i not done the Headstart course two years ago, i wouldnt have been as aware of opportunities availabe to me in engineering as i was. Go for it!
ali p
Rep:
?
(Original post by Noxoid)
Not entirely sure yet, but i'd like to apply for cambridge, durham and bristol for sure. Does it matter which one you go to, or are they all run by the same people, rather than the uni itself???
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (213)
27.92%
No (550)
72.08%

Watched Threads