Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i don't know if this is right but please say so. its biology

how does a neurone travel across the synapse?

a neurone travel across through the synapse by a chemical transmitter substance. the neurone trying to jump the synapse produces this transmitter substance which allows them to diffuse across the gap and onto the other side.

i don't if if this is accurate enough to get me full marks in the exam! plz help.

ReputationRep:
    magic

ReputationRep:
    impulse reaching pre synaptic terminal opens calcium channels in the terminal. Calcium flows into terminal and stimulates the release of vesicles of neurotransmitter by exocytosis across the synapse. The neurotransmitter binds to receptors in post synaptic membrane and opens ion channels to cause an action potential in the post synaptic neurone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by overtherainbow)
    impulse reaching pre synaptic terminal opens calcium channels in the terminal. Calcium flows into terminal and stimulates the release of vesicles of neurotransmitter by exocytosis across the synapse. The neurotransmitter binds to receptors in post synaptic membrane and opens ion channels to cause an action potential in the post synaptic neurone
    GCSE level .... not A-levels or something.. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anando)
    GCSE level .... not A-levels or something.. :confused:
    thats not quite a level but basically the impulse reaches the end of the pre synaptic neurone, this stimulates transmitter release which diffuses across the synapse and stimulates an impulse in the post synaptic neurone

ReputationRep:
    It takes the bus.

ReputationRep:

a neurone travel across through the synapse by a chemical transmitter substance. the neurone trying to jump the synapse produces this transmitter substance which allows them to diffuse across the gap and onto the other side.

i don't if if this is accurate enough to get me full marks in the exam! plz help.
    It's not the neurone that jumps. A synapse is a gap between neurones, which are the cells that carry nerve impulses. When a nerve impulse has to jump from neurone A to neurone B, neurone A releases a chemical called a neurotransmitter into the gap between them, the neurotrasmitter diffuses across the gap and attaches to neurone B, stimulating a nerve impulse in neurone B. Any clearer?

ReputationRep:

A synapse allows neurones to travel through it by conducting the electrical impulses made by the nervous system. First the electrical impulse travels along the axon. This triggers neurotransmitters. Chemicals can then defuse along the synapse.

That should answer it? I'm sure what over the rainbow said is not gcse level. Since as a gcse student myself all we have learnt is that a synapse allows electrical impulses to travel across to allow chemicals etc. Nothing about calcium n stuff Q_Q

ReputationRep:
    The electrical impulse travels along the neurone until it reaches the synapse. Here , the impulse diffuses across the gap chemically, and it then starts off the impulse on a neuron on the other side of the synapse, which then carries it on to where its needed to go to.

And as above mentioned, for GCSE you don't need to know it in too much detail, simply saying chemically is enough.

ReputationRep:

the neurone doesnt travel across the synapse, the impulse does.

the chemical transmitter substance is called a neurotransmitter.

the neurotransmitter is released from the pre synaptic neurone, and diffuses through the cleft/synapse to reach the dendrites of the post synaptic neurone. There, the neurotransmitter binds to the receptors, and this binding causes deplorization of the post synaptic membrane. Hence the impulse is passed on.

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    just realized that you're only doing gcse. but still you need to more accurate with what you're saying. gd luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 19, 2010

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.