Loughborough Uni- Engineering.(rep will be given) Watch

Va_Va_ Voom
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Basically my AS grades weren't up to standard to meet the requirments of doing systems engineering next year. However they have offered me the chance to do a foundation year but it would be a completed waste of time if i got the grades at A-Level, so i sent them an email asking what happens if i did get the grades and here's the answer i got.

Dear ......

Once you have completed the foundation course we will be happy to admit you to either the Electronic and Electrical Engineering or to the Systems Engineering course. If you accept the offer for the foundation course, but then go on to meet the entrance requirements for the Systems Engineering course in the summer, I will be happy to reconsider your case for direct entry to Systems Engineering. I can’t promise that I’ll be able to transfer you, but, if you get the required grades, there’s a good chance that I can.

I hope this helps.

Regards

David

What i am asking is considering the "Universities have run out of places" headlines is this something i can trust and rely on, and if i were to get really top grades could i choose to get on any course i wanted in the engineering department. As i would be extremely interest in getting into civil engineering if i had the chance.

Help is appreciated and i will give out rep. ( if you can tell me how to do it.)
victor_b1992
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
they should let you in, but they can not say 100%. but if you get the grade you av a very good chance
Va_Va_ Voom
(Original post by victor_b1992)
they should let you in, but they can not say 100%. but if you get the grade you av a very good chance
Could i get into Civil Engineering as i have applied to systems engineering which is a different course. And is securing a foundation year offer giving me flexibility to choose between engineering courses?
abbii
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i dont think it would bee a case of choosing what course you want as itll be wherever there are spaces, if you got the grades im fairly sure yould have to call them ask and consider you for the course again at which point ask to be considered for any engineering course but preferably cival engineering, i mean better to do systems engineering than not go at all, also if you get accepted to something else they might let you transfer in the first few weeks anyway
Va_Va_ Voom
(Original post by abbii)
i dont think it would bee a case of choosing what course you want as itll be wherever there are spaces, if you got the grades im fairly sure yould have to call them ask and consider you for the course again at which point ask to be considered for any engineering course but preferably cival engineering, i mean better to do systems engineering than not go at all, also if you get accepted to something else they might let you transfer in the first few weeks anyway
I have been told by some people that apparently the univercity offers the foundation year course knowing there is a possibility you will get the grades and ask to get on the course of your choice. If i do get the grades is there any scenario where i would be "forced" to do the foundation year as there simply is not enough spaces on either civil engineering or sytems engineering?
victor_b1992
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
if you dont get the grades and do the foundation year and pass. iam sure they would let you change to Beng civil engineering or even Meng as you would have much better qualification compared to most people, also once your in the uni it is much easier to change courses.

but if you get the grades and call quickly there is a good chance to get in stright away.
victor_b1992
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
and it is very likely to have space as loughborough has about 500 place for civil engineering and if you get the grades you would be one of the first they would put on the course.
stefk93
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
By the way, this whole cut in the number of university places doesn't apply to engineering. Engineering courses actually have more places than they had last year, something like 6000 more altogether. So it is looking pretty good for you. Hope this helps.
victor_b1992
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by stefk93)
By the way, this whole cut in the number of university places doesn't apply to engineering. Engineering courses actually have more places than they had last year, something like 6000 more altogether. So it is looking pretty good for you. Hope this helps.
lol yh this is because there are lots of jobs in engineering. lol unlike other degrees :yep:
Va_Va_ Voom
thanks for the help people btw- send me a pm on how to rep you and i will do in abit
RBarack
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Considering the ever increasing competition for university places, I wouldn't opt for the foundation year, just in case they do happen to reject your appeal to be bumped up to level 1 with sufficient A-level results.

I would opt for the university that accepts you onto level 1. Some friends of mine who are doing the foundation year for Civil Engineering are doing very easy maths, and completely irrelevant chemistry. Assuming that you're doing A-level Maths, it really is a waste of a year.
abbii
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Va_Va_ Voom)
I have been told by some people that apparently the univercity offers the foundation year course knowing there is a possibility you will get the grades and ask to get on the course of your choice. If i do get the grades is there any scenario where i would be "forced" to do the foundation year as there simply is not enough spaces on either civil engineering or sytems engineering?
technically you have a contract with ucas that if you get grades you have to go, but you can withdraw your application even after results day or call loughborough and ask them to relaese you (they will, it makes them look bad if you start and then drop out), so reallistically no they cant force you to take the foundation year
Va_Va_ Voom
(Original post by abbii)
technically you have a contract with ucas that if you get grades you have to go, but you can withdraw your application even after results day or call loughborough and ask them to relaese you (they will, it makes them look bad if you start and then drop out), so reallistically no they cant force you to take the foundation year
So realistically they would let me do something i wanted
abbii
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Va_Va_ Voom)
So realistically they would let me do something i wanted
not necessarily, they just wont make you do something you dont want to do, they could for instance offer you foundation year only but then probably wouldnt kick up a fuss if you said you didnt want to do the course (ie you dont go to uni at all), or they could offer you deffered entry to next year so you have the course you want but have to take a gap year first (obviously grade dependant), or they could tell you to just reapply next year (but this might make you less likely to get an offer if youve already rejected them)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1628)
78.99%
Leave (433)
21.01%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise