Turn on thread page Beta

AQA Biology 2 Exam - Help please watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The exam is this Friday and I'm not sure about one thing. Does insulin take glucose into the cells or does it convert excess glucose into glycogen? This question comes up quite a lot in the exams from what I've seen so it would be much appreciated if someone told me which answer is most likely to be marked right.

ReputationRep:
    research it on the internet?

ReputationRep:
    I've tried that to be honest billskiny but the mark schemes are quite vague..

ReputationRep:
    i would love to help but i'm edexcel not aqa :/ sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Insulin converts glucose to glucogen which is then stored in the liver until the glucose levels drop, (which is when more glucose is needed) so then the glucogen is converted back into glucose by glucagon and then put back into the blood stream

ReputationRep:
    Insulin lowers the blood sugar level when its too high, by converting it into insoluble glycogen which is then stored in the liver.

When the levels are low, it releases the glucagon, which breaks down the glycogen into glucose, so the levels are restored.

ReputationRep:
    but on markschemes u literaly get 2 marks out of 2: for just
    1. mentioning liver
    2. glucose > glucogen by insulin

ReputationRep:
    The pancreas secretes the hormone insulin which allows glucose into the cells...and also you could say turns glucose into glycogen, which is then stored in the glycogen!

Jan 09 question...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GunnerArshavin)
    Insulin lowers the blood sugar level when its too high, by converting it into insoluble glycogen which is then stored in the liver.

When the levels are low, it releases the glucagon, which breaks down the glycogen into glucose, so the levels are restored.
    aww, i love the way you kind of apoligised for muddling them up!
    i was reading it thinking " what on earth, thats not right!" " then i got to the end and thought aww".

Glucose > Glucogen
    by the hormone: INSULIN

Glucogen > Glucose
    by the hormone: GLUCAGON

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help everyone. I'll just talk about glycogen then

ReputationRep:
    Haha , I just edited it after I realised my mistake

ReputationRep:
    All you could say Insulin moves the glucose from the blood into cells which is used for providing energy...

marks:
    1)Insulin moves glucose from blood
    2) To cells (you can give names....)
    3)Provide energy,respiration etc etc

any of the following will give you all 3 marks

I also have the same exam good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 19, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.