The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

4G_dollars
I agree. Religion should be scrutinized and challenged. What I mean in this sense, challenging religion over it's statements. This could involve scientific issues (evolution etc...), rights of women and non-(insert name of followers) etc...Those type of issues which allows an individual to gain better understanding of a religion.

I do not advocate or mean that you challenge religion in order to create an offence as seen here with the drawing of Muhammed. That is not challenging religion or subjecting a religion to an open criticism. It is just being petty and low.

I agree with your second point, that is offensive and a lot worse. A lot of Muslim view Muhammed as their role model. It is personal to them.
Something you may not be able to understand but something to at least appreciate that is how muslim view Muhammed.
Insulting the prophet will obviously create a reaction as a result in the same way the creator would be annoyed if someone created a group suggesting to piss on their "mother".

Personally, I agree. I wouldn't go out of my way to offend someone and I can see how this would offend muslims. I just don't see it as a big deal. Most muslims will be able to ignore this. In my opinion, it's an opportunity, if they choose to ignore this little protest, they will gain a lot of respect.

For example, like that other example we were talking about before, it's a lot worse but it wouldn't blown out of proportion like this most likely will.
mikeylfc1989
Personally, I agree. I wouldn't go out of my way to offend someone and I can see how this would offend muslims. I just don't see it as a big deal. Most muslims will be able to ignore this. In my opinion, it's an opportunity, if they choose to ignore this little protest, they will gain a lot of respect.

Exactly. I think this should be ignore quite clearly.
Reply 182
icapturethecastle
If it's widely known to cause upset and offence, why provoke it further?

I would imagine it's protesting the extreme violence that occurred last time. This is not only an exercise in free speech, but also a reaction against what was commonly seen as a de facto curtailing of free speech (as very evident in South Park). And so the makers

simply want to show the extremists that threaten to harm people because of their Mohammed depictions, that we're not afraid of them. That they can't take away our right to freedom of speech by trying to scare us to silence.
Reply 183
thedepressedchild
Yup me, although it did take me about half an hour to figure out how to deactivate it as i've never done it before.

took me ages aswel :biggrin:

then someone sent me this link

http://www.facebook.com/deactivate.php

which just takes you straight onto the deactivation page
4G_dollars
Exactly. I think this should be ignore quite clearly.
Let God decide what will happen to those who do carry out this if that is the case.

I admit, this situation has highlighted bad things about both sides.
Those who advocate the drawing are advocating racism and offence.
The muslim (in the minority) are not helping matter when they are sending death threats...

That pretty much sums it up. It's superficial on both ends...

Religion should be a personal thing..., I think defining yourself by something as broad as religion can develop a group/victim mentality.
bill-e
took me ages aswel :biggrin:

then someone sent me this link

http://www.facebook.com/deactivate.php

which just takes you straight onto the deactivation page

LOL okey dokey.

Yeah i should have thought of that, obviously the link wont work because i've deactivated but i'll keep that in mind for next time...........if there is one :biggrin:
mikeylfc1989
That pretty much sums it up. It's superficial on both ends...

I agree.

I don't understand the reactions of the extreme muslims issuing death threats, they have made their feelings known about how they feel its wrong and are protesting. Yet issuing death threats is way way over the line, even if these cartoons do get drawn they've down their peace.

On the other hand, the making of this group is trying purposely to invigorate the muslim hatred and pass it off as their "freedom of speech". They know that muslims find it really offensive and yet they still continue to do it.

Both sides need to fix up.
~The Mixed Race Girl~
lol the uae's alright i suppose but thats coz im used it..and yes your foresight is indeed very good :yep: can u teach me or is something ur born with? lol

I've been to the UAE two years ago. Lovely place but far too hot. Do you live there?

And sorry, it's just an innate ability you are born with. :p:

I could try teaching you though. :cool:
Reply 188
I don't get it. What's the point in it all? :s-smilie: it's quite disgusting to target a group of people like that and it's just going to cause nothing but offence.

At the same time, what's the whole boycotting facebook by deactivating going to do? (generally wondering)
Reply 189
thedepressedchild
LOL okey dokey.

Yeah i should have thought of that, obviously the link wont work because i've deactivated but i'll keep that in mind for next time...........if there is one :biggrin:

lets hope there isnt a next time :P
Reply 190
nihility
you are a muslim.

Of course i'm muslim. :rolleyes: Just because i respect someone's beliefs and defending their religion, that makes me muslim. Well done, you should get an award for being a complete prat. :rolleyes:

I don't think people realise how offensive this is going to. You've really to ask these people why, what the **** is it going to prove? Oh look everybody i've just drawn a picture of Muhammed, someone i don't know much about but hey who gives a ****, i want to practice freedom of expression and take the pee out of some people. Let's be honest they're doing this for three reasons, attention, provocation and to make themselves feel better because they're lives are so ****** up! Get a life and bloody stop getting obsessed with stuff that don't concern you for crying out loud!
Reply 191
mel0n
I don't get it. What's the point in it all? :s-smilie: it's quite disgusting to target a group of people like that and it's just going to cause nothing but offence.

At the same time, what's the whole boycotting facebook by deactivating going to do? (generally wondering)

Why do people protest in general?
It's like a peaceful comeback isn't it. It might not do anything, but it raises awareness and you can raise any issues you have or opinions via this method. Boycotting = I am not happy with this.
Im a muslims myself.

I dont think drawing Muhammed is offensive at all. He was a man just like all the other prophets. If you take offense in him being drawn or ridiculed, then you must also take offense at Jesus being drawn and ridiculed.

My only problem are the references that incite hatred,
like the bomb on his head, he's paedophile, or depicted as violent, which suggest this is what Islam is about. Which is rubbish. The people who are behind this are complete islamaphobes. Which is the real reason why muslim should be up in arms. Its the faith you should be defending not the man.

Throughout the ages, there have been depictions of Muhammed looked like, but this was frowned upon in Muslims, but no one recieved death threats, only because of reason we should not worship Muhammed, that is shirk, one of the biggest sins of Islam.

But even today, Muslims have given such incredible adoration for Muhammed, that even a drawing an image of him is blasphemy, Im sorry but that is 'borderline' adering Muhammed as a god., which is completely forbidden. You cannot put Muhammed on the same status of God, to do so is shirk (Islam biggest sin)

Ironic isnt it? (well atleast the athiests will find it ironic)

Conclusion: South Park (anyone) have the right to draw Muhammed, in a way that doesnt incite hatred for Muslims or Islam
Reply 193
lumbar
Why do people protest in general?
It's like a peaceful comeback isn't it. It might not do anything, but it raises awareness and you can raise any issues you have or opinions via this method. Boycotting = I am not happy with this.

I'm a bit confused. What're you referring to as a peaceful comeback? If you're referring to the deactivating thing, if you're deactivated you can hardly raise your opinion if you're not on facebook to do so.
mel0n

I agree, there is no point. But it really isn't a big deal, they always have the option to ignore it. If they don't, they're just as bad as those who protest.
Reply 195
mel0n
I'm a bit confused. What're you referring to as a peaceful comeback? If you're referring to the deactivating thing, if you're deactivated you can hardly raise your opinion if you're not on facebook to do so.

Well it's a way of ignoring it too. :smile:
mel0n

Not to mention, why the hell would you protest against a social networking site. What is the point..., how could you feel strongly enough to protest lol?
Reply 197
lumbar
Well it's a way of ignoring it too. :smile:

Fair enough :smile: sorry if I sounded like I thought it's a **** idea or something :p: I genuinely wasn't sure what people wanted to achieve out of deactivating etc.
This is why ladies and non ladies, peace will never come to humanity, we will destroy our selves, its a vicious cycle.

Good Night.
Reply 199
mel0n
Fair enough :smile: sorry if I sounded like I thought it's a **** idea or something :p: I genuinely wasn't sure what people wanted to achieve out of deactivating etc.

I deactivated mine 2 weeks ago because I was getting distracted from my revision. But yes, I can understand why people would deactivate their account. I don't think they have anything against Facebook, more so the group itself. I don't know to be honest ...

Latest