The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
U.A.E. has blocked the webpage today, but only the specific URL- the facebook group.

Unlike Pakistan... cool guys with advanced technology.
Reply 301
I am rather peeved by the whole South Park censorship situation, but maybe it is just hitting hard cos I know the creators and feel rather bugged about the 'death threat' situation, skewing my entire interpretation of the deal.

But in short, I am quite bothered that a religious group would like to control my actions. Understand now that I would be peeved if any religion was doing this, too. I do not understand why it is somebody else's business if I draw something. The extent to which they should police it is to say that people of the religion are not allowed to perform the action, but leave me out of it!
Reply 302
boredom_personified
The kafirophobia in this thread is really quite shocking. South park has always been a politically incorrect show, so to force it to be politically correct over this single issue is rather wrong. Nobody has the right to not be offended, so being offended is not an excuse to ban free expression. The day itself does sound a little childish, however if the South Park cartoonists had not been threatened, and people didn't feel their right to free speech/expression was being curtailled, the day wouldn't exist in the first place. Of course it doesn't mean people actually need to draw the picture, as the concept behind it seems much more important than the actual act. The fact it is being met with so much opposition, some of it even by nonmuslims under the guise of 'respect' only highlights just how much the day is needed.
The official site for the event has pledged to only upload tasteful images, so aforementioned pictures of mohammed being raped by camels, etc. will not be shown (doubtless some will draw them, however these people dislike muslims, and don't specifically care about the free speech purpose of the day, and will be ignored as such), but a picture of a smiling arab man for example, should be no problem.

I completely agree with out here. Ugh I am so peeved I feel there is no reason to even discuss the situation, but I will not back down on the situation, either. I don't know, I am so bothered by it all. Trey and Matt were not trying to start a war, just push buttons and continue the Super Best Friends joke. they never expected it to get blown out of proportion like this!
AutVinceriAutMori
What a stupid, stupid point. So its fine to do anything you want, regardless of what other people think just because you can?

... i clearly do think it is "fine" for me to draw whatever i please.
its a message to A, the sorts of people who make death threats over a cartoon, and B, those who think the state has a "right" to police ideas.
When are people going to put their drawings up? :teehee:
They do have a right to freedom of speech and I think it's wrong if hardcore muslims get too agitated and start making death threats, but at the same time the group is being disrespectful and insensitive since they have no genuine reason to announce this day other than to piss off the muslim community and gain publicity by doing so.
Reply 306
I'm putting a drawing up:

Aww... it's all nice n' corny anyway:

While there should be the freedom to make caricatures and nasty depictions, I think we can drive our point home better with civil drawings. 'Happy draw everyone day' in another thread had the right idea - this is about the same freedom we should give for anything else.
It's funny how the political left have been ridiculing and mocking Christianity for decades in this country, yet when it comes to Islam they're suddenly looking at the floor, and in fact only make a howl of protest to brand someone who does mock it as a racist Islamophobe!!!
Reply 308
lumbar
You think this is only a drawing? Have you even had a look at the images on that group?

I had no idea it was as bad as that, that's way too far. There's enough problems with that religion as it is.
moregano
I don't like the way Facebook has become a breeding ground for this kind of mass bullying and spreading of prejudice and hatred.

It's because they can hide behind their keyboards.
Reply 310
Offensive, disrespectful AND a good day for freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech is not negotiable. Clearly some religious people think differently. Conclusion? I am participating.
I really just don't understand people's need to go out of their way to deliberately hurt others.

Have you had a burning desire to draw Mohammed all your life? Has this been personally quashed by Muslims the world over? Will drawing Mohammed in any way improve your situation on this Earth? Do you actually give a ****?

No.

This isn't about freedom of speech, this is about people just being immature. Why on earth do you need to go out of your way to piss off other people? You can draw Mohammed at any time if you really want to - what is the need in deliberately upsetting other people by doing it so publically.
Reply 312
there are better ways of fighting for freedom of speech. the people who started the facebook group are bored laptop revolutionaries.
Reply 313
BlueRoses
I really just don't understand people's need to go out of their way to deliberately hurt others.

Have you had a burning desire to draw Mohammed all your life? Has this been personally quashed by Muslims the world over? Will drawing Mohammed in any way improve your situation on this Earth? Do you actually give a ****?

No.

This isn't about freedom of speech, this is about people just being immature. Why on earth do you need to go out of your way to piss off other people? You can draw Mohammed at any time if you really want to - what is the need in deliberately upsetting other people by doing it so publically.

People have been intimidated into not drawing Muhammed, or criticising Islam. Intimidated with violence, and sometimes death. That is what makes this an issue about freedom of speech - we must show these people we will not be intimidated, and we will draw Muhammed in spite of them.
Reply 314
BlueRoses

No.

This is kind of the point: we couldn't. There has been a barrage of terror and intimidation making people censor even the most harmless images, continuing even on to the latest South Park episode. We don't really have freedom of speech if, in exercising this freedom, we must fear being bombed and targeted like Salman Rushdie. Even the creators of South Park faced implied death threats for nothing more than respectful non-depictions of Muhammad. This is unacceptable in a modern society.

Your assertion that the event is happening for no reason, or just to offend people, is incorrect. Honestly, most of the participants probably have no idea about the people being offended. What they, and I, do care about is that this self-censorship under terror of death threats be put to a stop. If this can be done by encouraging people to give the extremists too many targets to count, then actually, IMHO, it is worth it. I think the world can be made safer by making a certain paradigm "normal", as opposed to it being manifested only in rare incidences which you can base riots (or fatwas leading to hotel bombings, in the case of Salman Rushdie) around.
I don't think we need a day like this to show people that we have freedom and that we can express it in any way we want. Maybe not banning burka's in France would send out a better message of freedom of expression.
Reply 316
I am just laughing at the ridiculousness.
BlueRoses

No.

Because extremist have censored south park. Every couple of years, someone does something to do with Islam and then extremist come and blow **** up or send a death threat. If extremist realise that they can’t resort to violence every time someone insults their religion or prophet, then all will be good. People will continue to mock Islam but it won’t get media coverage. People mock Christianity pretty much every day, but it doesn’t get media coverage, therefore Christians generally don’t care.
Reply 318
Stop those people!
Has anyone drawn Gary Glitter? :teehee:

Latest

Trending

Trending