hi need sum help wiv psychology - obedience Watch

This discussion is closed.
emmz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
just wondering cud some1 explain the obedience hoffling study to me coz ive lost the notes. im doing the as mod 1. i know 22 nurses were involved and were asked to obey even though they were goin against the law. just not sure of the method and results
thanx
sassy_j
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
il just get my notes out

x x x
emmz
Rep:
?
(Original post by sassy_j)
il just get my notes out

x x x
oh thanx
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I've done Milgrams study of obediance but not the hoffling one...
emmz
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2776 2)
I've done Milgrams study of obediance but not the hoffling one...
ive done the milgram 1 just lost da notes to hoffling lol
sassy_j
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Aim: To create a more realistic study of obedience than Milgram’s by carrying out field studies on nurses who were unaware that they were involved in an experiment.

Procedure: Nurses in a hospital were given orders from a ‘doctor’ over the telephone to administer a dose of medication above the maximum allowed. The nurses were watched to see what they would do. The medication was not real, though the nurses thought it was.

Results: 21 out of 22 nurses were easily influenced into carrying out the orders. They were not supposed to take instructions by phone, let alone exceed the allowed dose.

When other nurses were asked to discuss what they would do in a similar situation, 21 out of 22 said they would not comply with the order.

Conclusions: Hofling demonstrated that people are very unwilling to question supposed ‘authority’, even when they might have good reason to.

Evaluation: Like Milgram, Hofling was criticised on ethical grounds. This was because the nurses were not aware that they were in a psychological study and could have felt threatened by the results and their implications.

cldnt find my notes, but i got my results from s-cool(the ones above)

www.s-cool.co.uk is a really good website for psychology, it doesnt go into a lot of detail about everything, but sometimes it helps you to understand the more complicated aspects

x x x
emmz
Rep:
?
(Original post by sassy_j)
Aim: To create a more realistic study of obedience than Milgram’s by carrying out field studies on nurses who were unaware that they were involved in an experiment.

Procedure: Nurses in a hospital were given orders from a ‘doctor’ over the telephone to administer a dose of medication above the maximum allowed. The nurses were watched to see what they would do. The medication was not real, though the nurses thought it was.

Results: 21 out of 22 nurses were easily influenced into carrying out the orders. They were not supposed to take instructions by phone, let alone exceed the allowed dose.

When other nurses were asked to discuss what they would do in a similar situation, 21 out of 22 said they would not comply with the order.

Conclusions: Hofling demonstrated that people are very unwilling to question supposed ‘authority’, even when they might have good reason to.

Evaluation: Like Milgram, Hofling was criticised on ethical grounds. This was because the nurses were not aware that they were in a psychological study and could have felt threatened by the results and their implications.

cldnt find my notes, but i got my results from s-cool(the ones above)

www.s-cool.co.uk is a really good website for psychology, it doesnt go into a lot of detail about everything, but sometimes it helps you to understand the more complicated aspects

x x x

wow thanx loads. r u doing the the mod 1 exam next thrsday.
thx agen
sassy_j
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
ur welcome

no, im not retaking any psychology exams, luckily!

x x x
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (140)
46.51%
Pro-humanity (161)
53.49%

Watched Threads