The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
i was really confused with that nitrogen question. put my hand up and asked 2 teachers both of whom were obviously no help at all :confused:

it said how much more (%) nitrogen did venus have compared to earth which i think must have been worded incorrectly as earth has more than venus. Had no clue wat calculation to do and so just wrote
"earth has more nitrogen than venus 78% Vs 3.5% - this question does not make sense" lol.

Unless ofcourse i got the wrong end of the stick and we were supposed to do that 91 pressure thingy that people above have said? Oh well.... Excrutiating 3 month wait until the results:mad:
DanielOJ
I got a very small number.. something along the lines of.. 0.0014 ppm?
i thought it was 0.0014/100 for one part.. then multiply by 1000000 to get ppm (14)..

why did people end up dividing by 1000? :s
Overall the paper was okay. It was a weird paper though. I went blank on the ionic equation :s-smilie:, reflux didn't know what to put, and number 6 i waffled quite a bit, but apart from that it was good haha.. I was expected harder Q on the pre-release..
mhasan
i was really confused with that nitrogen question. put my hand up and asked 2 teachers both of whom were obviously no help at all :confused:

it said how much more (%) nitrogen did venus have compared to earth which i think must have been worded incorrectly as earth has more than venus. Had no clue wat calculation to do and so just wrote
"earth has more nitrogen than venus 78% Vs 3.5% - this question does not make sense" lol.

Unless ofcourse i got the wrong end of the stick and we were supposed to do that 91 pressure thingy that people above have said? Oh well.... Excrutiating 3 month wait until the results:mad:
78 is 22 times bigger than 3.5
Reply 364
bla_bla_bla_blaa
i thought it was 0.0014/100 for one part.. then multiply by 1000000 to get ppm (14)..

why did people end up dividing by 1000? :s

because the ratio between normal hydrogen and deuterium was 1000/1... so you had to find out the ppm of water vapour in total... then 1000th of this to find out how much of it contained deuterium..
Reply 365
I thought the iodine in the iodate ion had +5?
In the half formula you added six electrons?
Reply 366
bla_bla_bla_blaa
78 is 22 times bigger than 3.5

but it asked how many times bigger venus' concentration was than the Earth's.. the other way round..
DanielOJ
because the ratio between normal hydrogen and deuterium was 1000/1... so you had to find out the ppm of water vapour in total... then 1000th of this to find out how much of it contained deuterium..
oh wow suck my balls, didn't read the second part :/ skipped straight into the calculation
AGM
Not too bad, not too bad. Could have been much worse and there were no questions that I absolutely struggled 100% on. Thought a couple of questions were a bit vague though, reflux ones and CO2 absorption of IR.

Oooh, reflux. I thought that was a bit wierd as well. What did you get?
DanielOJ
but it asked how many times bigger venus' concentration was than the Earth's.. the other way round..
oh wow.. you sure? will we get marks off if we wrote 22 then? :Confused:

venus' concentration was lower than the earth's, why would they ask how much venus > earth.. doesnt make sense
04smitht

(I don't think we can talk specifically about it until 12 o'clock pm)

OCR is only taken in the uk isnt it? Therefore there's no reason why we can't talk about it :smile:
I just read the Exam discussion thing at the top of the page, it only says you can't talk about edexcel etc...
:biggrin:
bla_bla_bla_blaa
oh wow suck my balls, didn't read the second part :/ skipped straight into the calculation

yep and me, didn't do the ratio, just lost 2 marks already :frown:
ninetytwo

Oh of course, your right cause it's a negative ion.
ninetytwo

It is +5

I thought the test was quite easy apart from some of the question wording and the isomerism etc.
Reply 374
ninetytwo

yeah i put +5 but I couldnt work out the half equation until now realising that I forgot the electrons.

Plus I cant believe I put nucleophilic substitution instead of electrophilic addition. :eek3: Dont know what I was thinking...

I hated the question on drawing the skeletal for the E/Z isomer, I knew what I was supposed to do but just couldnt draw it...

Apart from that it was an okayish paper. :smile:
Reply 375
Drummermean
It is +5

Earth has more than Venus so it would be like Venus has [Venus' atmosphere / Earths atmosphere] = Ans.
Ans is a decimal?
Help?

yeah i got a decimal something like 0.04 (i think i did 3.5/78) :confused:
Reply 376
Ahhh...I thought I had done okay apart from the calculation questions which I know I've messed up. The Jan paper was so much easier though and the wording was much clearer.
hmm please say you guys got sulphur was oxidised?
Saphire1
yeah i got a decimal something like 0.04 (i think i did 3.5/78) :confused:

Yeh that's what I put.
But I just looked it up.
Apparently atmospheric pressure would increase amount of molecules so it would be 3.5 x 8000 / 78 so the answer would be like 360 x =/
=[
BeckyDay
Ahhh...I thought I had done okay apart from the calculation questions which I know I've messed up. The Jan paper was so much easier though and the wording was much clearer.

Couldn't agree too much more.

Latest

Trending

Trending