Not Interested (10)
7.41%
Locke54
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Adorno)
Because beyond that I'll be in my final year of the PhD and much, much less active. Incidentally, it occurs to me that the bank holiday time is out since I'll be filming for the BBC.
Off on a tangent to the thread but what are you filming for the BBC?
Adorno
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ajp100688)
Off on a tangent to the thread but what are you filming for the BBC?
A history programme :p:
Locke54
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
...and there was me thinking that you were in line to replace John Craven on Countryfile! :rolleyes: ...:p:
Smack
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What's this programme about? What role are you playing in its filming? What's your PhD in?
Adorno
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Smack)
What's this programme about? What role are you playing in its filming? What's your PhD in?
History. On Screen / writing. History.
tucker672
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Because beyond that I'll be in my final year of the PhD and much, much less active. Incidentally, it occurs to me that the bank holiday time is out since I'll be filming for the BBC.
BBC, as impartial as ever :p:
Adorno
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by tucker672)
BBC, as impartial as ever :p:
History isn't an impartial subject. Those that tell you it is are usually Tories.
Drogue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
History isn't an impartial subject. Those that tell you it is are usually Tories.
Yet they're often the most partial - I remember a video tucker posted of Portillo talking about "the real British history, of heroes, of a glorious empire, of Nelson, Churchill and the brave men and women who fought and died for this great nation" (etc. etc.). Hardly a rounded view!
Adorno
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Drogue)
Yet they're often the most partial - I remember a video tucker posted of Portillo talking about "the real British history, of heroes, of a glorious empire, of Nelson, Churchill and the brave men and women who fought and died for this great nation" (etc. etc.). Hardly a rounded view!
Well, that would really be the crux of my point. History is impartial so long as it only mentions the good side of empire, the brilliance of the West, and how we - the English-speaking Peoples- have civilis/zed the world. (Though we can't even agree on how to spell stuff like civilised! ) Yawn. But in any case it comes down to the objective/subjective dichotomy and frankly history is not a science and lacks the means to be fully objective.
Locke54
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't know why anyone would suggest History is impartial at all. The whole point of it is to take a thesis and then use the evidence to back that up. All thesis are biased towards one point of view or another, well apart from GCSE History where you just sum up both sides and go 'Meh, they might both be right'. However we all know that GCSE History is a hideously taught subject filled with PC and nonsensical subjects.

Anyways I'm guessing Adorno is going to be doing his program on either the growth of the Labour Party in Wales, the effect of Thatcherism on South Wales or the Taff Vale strike. Call it a hunch... There seriously needs to be more quality History programming on the BBC though, the last thing I really enjoyed was Dan Snow's series on the navy and his one off programme about the conquest of Quebec.
Adorno
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ajp100688)
Anyways I'm guessing Adorno is going to be doing his program on either the growth of the Labour Party in Wales, the effect of Thatcherism on South Wales or the Taff Vale strike. Call it a hunch...
It is about Labour, yes, but in a far different way to traditional ways of looking at the Labour movement for it is not about "the growth" or the movement nor Taff Vale nor Thatcherism nor Strikes nor anything of that sort. It is topical though! I'll explain, perhaps, in due course when I've written it and know how it's going to work.
tucker672
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Drogue)

Metrobeans
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Voted. I'm ignoring the votes of alissasantiago and BobFossil as they've no connection to the HoC, meaning the 30th August has 11 votes.
smalltownboy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Good to see Portillo contradict himself in the first sentence there.
Jangrafess
Badges: 16
Report 8 years ago
Bank holiday weekend then?
iwilson03
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I may try and blag a day off work then, seeing as people voted incorrectly :emo:
Metrobeans
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Saturday 7th August people!
Drogue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Metrobeans)
Saturday 7th August people!
Sounds good to me. If we're sure, I think think Dayne should put this in the update and I'll edit the thread title
simontinsley
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A shame, I won't be able to make this one. I look forward to hearing of your frolics after the event, though.
daniel_williams
Badges: 15
Report 8 years ago
yrp, sounds good to me.... lets hope I don't get tied up with work!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (127)
17.81%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (103)
14.45%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.82%
How can I be the best version of myself? (217)
30.43%

Watched Threads