The EU want a bail out? Watch

crazyspacemonkey
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7131340.ece

Looks like the EU is in trouble again. I read last week that they told us not to come to them if we were in trouble. Now they're ****** and likely to ask us for more dollar. Surely Cameron will tell them tough luck?
Installation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Europe. Too big to fail? :P
DJkG.1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Tbh, economically-civilised countries in the EU, such as Germany, should introduce their own currency (DM) again and use that to trade within the nation and buy/sell Euros against.

It'll guarantee their national economy as the rest of Europe declines with the inevitable fall of the Euro.
Kolya
Badges: 14
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by crazyspacemonkey)
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7131340.ece

Looks like the EU is in trouble again. I read last week that they told us not to come to them if we were in trouble. Now they're ****** and likely to ask us for more dollar. Surely Cameron will tell them tough luck?
Cameron will have to look at what would be in the UK's interest and act from there. If he judges providing extra funds as necessary to help support important trading partners of the UK (so much so that it would be better for the UK in the long-run than allowing trading partners to get into difficulty) then he will likely do so.
bigmo7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DJkG.1)
Tbh, economically-civilised countries in the EU, such as Germany, should introduce their own currency (DM) again and use that to trade within the nation and buy/sell Euros against.

It'll guarantee their national economy as the rest of Europe declines with the inevitable fall of the Euro.
That would only make the problem worse, if a country like Germany basically leaves the Euro then it shows that they obviously don't have faith in it creating massive speculation that the Euro is falling or is going to fall which will probably destroy the Euro.
FyreFight
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
lol, Greece; the fifth horseman of the apocalypse
Stalin
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh the EU - so nice in theory but so wrong in practice.
crazyspacemonkey
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Kolya)
Cameron will have to look at what would be in the UK's interest and act from there. If he judges providing extra funds as necessary to help support important trading partners of the UK (so much so that it would be better for the UK in the long-run than allowing trading partners to get into difficulty) then he will likely do so.
As far as I'm aware, while the EU takes up a large percentage of our trade in terms of volume, it is actually quite a small partner in terms of value. So based on that alone, we should let them suffer and reap the benefits of dirt cheap holidays and a position in the sun again in terms of who rules the roost in the EU (if it didn't completely crash and burn).

That said, there are the historical ties in the fact that we are European and belong to Europe, as much as we like to consider ourselves separate. Not to mention the fact that regardless of the economic side of things, I'm sure no one wants to see an entire continent become economically weak; I'm no expert on the economy but thinking about it that would effect the global economy, and I imagine that wouldn't be of benefit to us.
CandyFlipper
Badges: 13
Report 8 years ago
Strikes in Greece now over spending cuts and tax rises, which the EU wants in return for the bailout. Surely these communist protesters should understand that its all kind of necessary? The government isn't just doing this for a laugh!
jakemittle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They want to co-ordinate national budgets?..As if they dont control enough already!
DJkG.1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bigmo7)
That would only make the problem worse, if a country like Germany basically leaves the Euro then it shows that they obviously don't have faith in it creating massive speculation that the Euro is falling or is going to fall which will probably destroy the Euro.
That goes without saying.

But it will save the otherwise strong and thriving economies of countries like Germany.

I speak from the perspective of a selfish German that is, who doesn't want to see his country's economy shrivel to support the rest of Europe.
BetterThanHeaven
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Stalin)
Oh the EU - so nice in theory but so wrong in practice.
The EU as a free-trade zone works perfectly fine in practice.

The Eurozone on the other hand...
loki276
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DJkG.1)

No. Germany will only lose in that situation

It's currency will be a lot more stronger than the Euro damaging its exports. It will lose 10-20% of its competitiveness
Bunkd
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by CandyFlipper)
Strikes in Greece now over spending cuts and tax rises, which the EU wants in return for the bailout. Surely these communist protesters should understand that its all kind of necessary? The government isn't just doing this for a laugh!
yah I thought rather the same :yep:
Deshi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jakemittle)
They want to co-ordinate national budgets?..As if they dont control enough already!
I'm guessing your talking about budget deficit's?

If you are then I personally agree that they should, as countries like Greece clearly can't be trusted to spend within the means of a decent budget deficit.
jakemittle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Deshi)
I'm guessing your talking about budget deficit's?

If you are then I personally agree that they should, as countries like Greece clearly can't be trusted to spend within the means of a decent budget deficit.
But then, for this to work..wouldnt every country in the EU have to be similar economically?
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Goodbye Euro glad we never joined and now never will.
woops fked that up lol
Deshi
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jakemittle)
But then, for this to work..wouldnt every country in the EU have to be similar economically?
True, which is why I believe a Monetary Union with so many countries in different economic positions will never work.
BetterThanHeaven
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
Goodbye EU glad we never joined and now never will.
Erm...what?
Deshi
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
Goodbye EU glad we never joined and now never will.
:facepalm2: We already are in the EU.

Your mixing up the EU with the Monetary Union.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (21)
43.75%
Pro-humanity (27)
56.25%

Watched Threads