Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering where do LSE postgraduates come from in terms of previous university and institutions. Since in the UK LSE is considered elite university, do postgraduates come from also elite undergraduate universities or...?
    I gather there is a huge international population at LSE among postgraduates but what about UK and other EU students?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Everywhere, heard of people from London Met who got a first go to LSE/UCL for Masters.

ReputationRep:
    I know at least one person who attended my current University (Westminster University), who did their Masters at LSE.

ReputationRep:
    Many are from Hong Kong

ReputationRep:
    I know of 1 or 2 from QMUL.

It's mixed.

ReputationRep:
    lot of under-performing ivy students, and lot of over achieving students from 2nd and 3rd tier US schools

ReputationRep:
    When a man and a lady love each other very much...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bread and Circlejerks)
    When a man and a lady love each other very much...
    Hahahaha. So glad to see that someone else had the same thought!

OP, sorry I can't be of any actual assistance.

ReputationRep:
    LSE has only a few extremely competitive courses (e.g. Economics, LLM, Finace etc). Most of LSE's courses admit students of much less prestigious university with average 2:1 and a few even admit students with 2:2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dannypletnev)
    Many are from Hong Kong
    Ooop.. how could you know that.
    I am from HK and will go to LSE this year but i dunno anyone from HK to LSE.:eek3: A little bit nervous..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyyuenangie)
    Ooop.. how could you know that.
    I am from HK and will go to LSE this year but i dunno anyone from HK to LSE.:eek3: A little bit nervous..
    Take it easy man. You will find a lot of HK people there and will make new friends very soon. Many of my friends studied in LSE.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, according to my observation, a lot of HK people like to walk around the library and talk with their mobiles... occasionally, they are blocking the stairway and creating quite a bit of noise

Anyway, you will find a lot of HK people here to socialize with...

A group of HK people are now talking quite loudly on the first floor computer desks...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarutaru)
    Yes, according to my observation, a lot of HK people like to walk around the library and talk with their mobiles... occasionally, they are blocking the stairway and creating quite a bit of noise

Anyway, you will find a lot of HK people here to socialize with...

A group of HK people are now talking quite loudly on the first floor computer desks...
    Sorry for you. I am sure i will not be one of them.
    but how could you know they are from hong kong.

ReputationRep:
    Like you, I can easily tell Asian people's origin from their appearance, accent and attitude....

ReputationRep:
    Rich families. You have to be pretty good academically to get in, but there is relatively little funding available so most students are self funding and it is a very expensive place to study a Masters.

ReputationRep:
    Got a first from Open U.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Rich families. You have to be pretty good academically to get in, but there is relatively little funding available so most students are self funding and it is a very expensive place to study a Masters.
    The same to other 1st tier Master Finance in the UK. You have to be self-funding for Imperial, Oxford, Warwick, Cambridge, LBS too. The funding is always little

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    I thought many graduates can get some thousands pound from the GSS of LSE?
    By the way, Imperial is even more expensive than LSE

ReputationRep:
    BTW.. i have never understood LSE's policy of increasing the tuition to very high level and thenm providing GSS!!(Only in some cases though!!)

ReputationRep:
    LSE postgrads (like me) come from a range of universities across the world.

The fb group indicates the majority are from China, India, U.S and U.K with smatterings from other parts of the globe.

Again, the universities are pretty broad. In the U.K there is: QMUL, Kings, Notts, UCL, SOAS, Oxbridge, Westminster, London Met, Wolverhampton (based on the people I know personally)

Across the U.S its mainly: Ivies, Liberal arts colleges as well as other not so well known schools.

In short, everyone here has solid grades/internships and work experience (apart from one I know whose political connections have gotten him in)

Again, the GSS is pretty much a sham, I have it on record that you only get it if you state you are bringing a specific amount of money with you. In lay terms, if you have nothing, you will get... Nothing (PM me for more information on this)

The point about rich families is not too far from the truth, however alot of people I have met have begged, borrowed etc to raise the funds to come here. It is alot of money for some people and essentially a gamble. There are a solid amount of ex-city people studying this year that I've met.

In contrast to those who are struggling, the more affluent types have pretty much treated the entire year like a summer camp, some have gone on 10+ holidays and the year is not even over yet. So take from that what you will.

With reference to thinksrinii's point: fees go up year on year by around £500-£1,000 ~

Reasoning? Take a look at the applications/offers ratio. Supply and demand plus the school's brand name is enough to guarantee interviews even if you're a sub-standard applicant.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.