Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have come across a lot of students here and I know a lot of people (including myself!) who plan to leave the UK after studies. If you plan to go overseas, why, where and for how long? Would you consider moving back to the UK, or will your move be permanent? How desperately do you want to leave? Why is the UK such a "Brain Drain"? Being right next door to a 'superpower', Canada is also considered a "Brain Drain" state. I think Canada's reasons are quite obvious.

ReputationRep:
    I think the UK probably has more brain gain than drain. There are lots of doctors and other professional people who come from less wealthy countries to work here.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3406153.ece

ReputationRep:
    ^^^^^ pretty much this..., we definitely gain more than we lose. I don't think that many people move to work abroad either?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    I think the UK probably has more brain gain than drain. There are lots of doctors and other professional people who come from less wealthy countries to work here.

Exactly, there's no way more skilled workers are moving out of the country than it. It's rubbish!

ReputationRep:

she speaks the truth...

ReputationRep:
    Funnily enough I'd like to live in Canada.

ReputationRep:
    But it seems like a lot of UK Citizens are moving out, whilst we are getting people coming in from these other countries .... living in London, I don't come across many British born and bred people, its a small percentage, in comparison to foreign workers/students that are here. But Im just talking about London.

ReputationRep:

Funny. I found this from Telegraph, on the same date as the timesonline one. Funnily enough, my birthday!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-50-years.html

ReputationRep:
    A brain drain ? lol no way it aint... then again you are speaking of what you have observed which cant "fit" for the majority of the places.Unless there was a survey done or something of that kind.
    EDIT: The link tells else. lol

ReputationRep:
    I don't disagree that there are probably a lot of educated people coming in from other countries but it would also not surprise me if there were a disproportionate number of British born people heading abroad after getting an education. The problem is that Britain is traditionally strong on education but it doesn't treat academics well (both in terms of how they're viewed by society and how they're paid) and it doesn't have a great R&D budget, meaning there's a good reason for the academically minded to get a degree here then go abroad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neelam1982)
    Funny. I found this from Telegraph, on the same date as the timesonline one. Funnily enough, my birthday!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-50-years.html
    That's really strange. It shows how you can edit statistics so they say what you want them too though!

Your birthday is the day before my dad's. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    That's really strange. It shows how you can edit statistics so they say what you want them too though!

Your birthday is the day before my dad's. :yep:

Yay!! Great to see that there is another fish in the sea

I.e : Pisces

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    I don't disagree that there are probably a lot of educated people coming in from other countries but it would also not surprise me if there were a disproportionate number of British born people heading abroad after getting an education. The problem is that Britain is traditionally strong on education but it doesn't treat academics well (both in terms of how they're viewed by society and how they're paid) and it doesn't have a great R&D budget, meaning there's a good reason for the academically minded to get a degree here then go abroad.
    Absolutely agree with that part. British Citizens tend to get their first degree then p**s off to some other place for Postgrad. namely France, Germanic countries or North America.

ReputationRep:
    Marcus Brigstocke addressed this in his Planet Corduroy rant, funnily enough...
    But I am actually coming there for the education. Hopefully I will like it enough to stay, but we will see.

ReputationRep:
    My plans are to study a physics degree in london, do a year of my masters studying in Paris then either move back to london or go to NY to work... We shall see what happens though.

ReputationRep:
    I used to think about moving abroad, but I'm beginning to change my mind. I'm really close to all my family, and I don't think I would want to leave them to be honest. Plus I love London deep down. I couldn't live anywhere except London though !

ReputationRep:

this

proper brain drains are in places like kenya, where instead of qualified healthcare proffesionals some areas train locals to work eg the marsabit scheme

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely agree with that part. British Citizens tend to get their first degree then p**s off to some other place for Postgrad. namely France, Germanic countries or North America.
    The problem is there are too many postgrads. We need less people in university taking silly quango degrees and more people taking degrees that are needed by society. University should be for the creme de la creme of intelligence and should have investment. If somebody on low income wants to go to university they must get a job and/or sponsorship from someone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    The problem is there are too many postgrads. We need less people in university taking silly quango degrees and more people taking degrees that are needed by society. University should be for the creme de la creme of intelligence and should have investment. If somebody on low income wants to go to university they must get a job and/or sponsorship from someone else.
    Hahahahahaaa! I just LOVE the word "Quango". Dont you think your being a bit too harsh? I know what you mean about University having the need to be restricted in some way - but not in the way that you are suggesting. I don't agree with the current system where there are, as you say "Quango" degrees, and the fact that 'anyone' can get into University. However, I think Universities and the government should be able to implement tougher entrance requirements - making it that much harder for just 'anyone' to get a place at Uni, which is the case now. Making it harder to get into uni this way, will not only make students work harder, but it would also raise the quality of education in this country, with better access to facilities (as student numbers would be restricted) and hence, this would help build a better quality life and an intelligent society, workforce and economy. What you are suggesting will only create a divide in our society of the rich and the poor and inevitably a minority of people will be living life as second class citizens - if University can be restricted in the way that you are suggested, then why not restrict people from poorer backgrounds to other social services? what you are suggesting is wrong and would be a society and country looking back, instead of moving forward in the attempt of making this country prosperous and an avid competitor, when comparing standards of living and quality of life in other western country states.

What you are suggested will help the rich get richer, poor get poorer and basically it would be like people being able to 'buy' a degree, just because they come from an 'elite' background and because people have access to the bank of mom and dad. University should be available to those who have the brains and are capable of studying at University level and entrance should be based on gaining high marks in their exams and having an impeccable academic record. Not how much money you have, or who your daddy was./is. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Hahahahahaaa! I just LOVE the word "Quango". Dont you think your being a bit too harsh? I know what you mean about University having the need to be restricted in some way - but not in the way that you are suggesting. I don't agree with the current system where there are, as you say "Quango" degrees, and the fact that 'anyone' can get into University. However, I think Universities and the government should be able to implement tougher entrance requirements - making it that much harder for just 'anyone' to get a place at Uni, which is the case now. Making it harder to get into uni this way, will not only make students work harder, but it would also raise the quality of education in this country, with better access to facilities (as student numbers would be restricted) and hence, this would help build a better quality life and an intelligent society, workforce and economy. What you are suggesting will only create a divide in our society of the rich and the poor and inevitably a minority of people will be living life as second class citizens - if University can be restricted in the way that you are suggested, then why not restrict people from poorer backgrounds to other social services? what you are suggesting is wrong and would be a society and country looking back, instead of moving forward in the attempt of making this country prosperous and an avid competitor, when comparing standards of living and quality of life in other western country states.

What you are suggested will help the rich get richer, poor get poorer and basically it would be like people being able to 'buy' a degree, just because they come from an 'elite' background and because people have access to the bank of mom and dad. University should be available to those who have the brains and are capable of studying at University level and entrance should be based on gaining high marks in their exams and having an impeccable academic record. Not how much money you have, or who your daddy was./is. :eek3:
    Money doesn't pass entrance exams does it? The intelligent ones still get in but it stops lazy people getting in too and wasting taxpayers cash with the likes of ema.
    The rich getting richer is fine, but the poor are also getting richer so everybody wins. The poor are wealthier than they have been in history right now.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.