The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ONTOLOGICAL ARGUMENT! I am telling you!
Reply 2
Yeah I think so too. Just revise the ontological argument and you will be fine!!1
If this helps any of you lot at all, last June's Philosophy questions were Plato's Cave, the Moral Argument, the Cosmological Argument, and the universe being created in the Big Bang. Ethics, there was Kant and abortion a question about relativist ethical theories generally, something on Natural Law and (I think) euthanasia, and one other question I have momentarily forgotten. :frown:

I hope that gives you a hint about what might (not) come up!

Also, I'm happy to help anyone with revision - I succeeded last year quite considerably, and would be happy to help others do the same. :smile:
Reply 4
That's really helpful, thanks.

How do you know it'll be ontological?
Reply 5
Ellie Roberts
That's really helpful, thanks.

How do you know it'll be ontological?

This exam has been taken 3 times jan/june 09 and jan 10! And it hasn't come up!

i've actually sat this exam twice:wink: in June last year and January just gone, i was positive it would come up in January...It didn't! I would be amazed if ti didn't!
Reply 6
Ooooh i didn't know that.. Ok, so helpful! Thanks!
Reply 7
ohhh i hate the ontological argument! :frown: anyone have any tips on how to revise for this subject? theres just soooo much stuff...
Reply 8
I usually do mind maps.. like on one side the actual information about it then on the other side strengths/weaknesses plus a few quotes?
That's just me though.
Past papers and timed questions are also really useful because for one topic they can only really rephrase a question i guess
Reply 9
i reckon the problem of evil will definately come up
what do u reckon will be on the ethics paper
Reply 10
I think on the ethics paper it could be anything.. Potentially Kant maybe
Reply 11
I'm sitting this exam too! My philosophy teacher said that maybe cosmological and teleological argument would come up.

I also think Kant could come up on the ethics. I was also thinking that maybe War & peace might come up too.
Reply 12
These are the questions that came up in Jan this year and June last year for Ethics:

Jan 2010
1(a) Explain what is meant by moral absolutism.
1(b) ‘Moral absolutism cannot be justified’. Discuss
2(a) Explain how Utilitarian’s approach the issues of war
2(b) ‘Pacifism causes more harm than good’. Discuss
3(a) Explain the strengths of Natural Law theory.
3(b) To what extent could a follower of Natural Law accept embryo research?
4(a) Explain how the ethics of the religion you have studied might be applied to abortion.
4(b) ‘Religious ethics fail to consider consequences’. Discuss

June 2009
1(a) Explain the concept of relativist morality
1(b) ‘Relativist ethics are unfair’ Discuss.
2(a) Explain how a follower of Natural Law would respond to the issues raised by genetic engineering
2(b) ‘Genetic engineering is ethically justified’ Discuss.
3(a) Explain why a follower of religious ethics might object to euthanasia
3(b) ‘Human dignity does not matter to a follower of religious ethics.’ Discuss.
4(a) Explain the strengths of Kant’s theory of ethics.
4(b) ‘Kant’s theory of ethics is not a useful approach to abortion’ Discuss
Reply 13
i am dreading this exam with a passion! have psychology in the afternoon as well, so i will have 3 exams that day. Im so going to fail philosophy and ethics!
Questions from January 2009 (new spec)

Philosophy:
1 a) Explain what Artistotle meant by final cause.
b) To what extent does the concept of a final cause teach us anything about the real world.

2a) Explain the Judeo-Christian concept of God as a lawgiver and judge.
b) "God has no right to judge human being" Discuss.

3 a) Explain the theodicy of Irenaeus
b) "The theodicy of Ireaeus cannot justify the existence of Evil" Discuss

4 a) Explain how religious believers respond to challenged posed to them by scientists.
b) "Religous believers understand the world better than scientisist" Discuss

Ethics:
1 a) Explain how belief in the sanctity of life may influence ethical approaches to abortion.
b) "A foetus is not a person" Discuss

2a) Explain how Bentham's version of Utilitarianism can be used to decide of the right course of action.
b) "Utilitarianism is the best approach to Euthenasia" Discuss

3a) Explain the ethical teachings of the religion you have studied.
b) "Some religious ethics are too rigid for moral decision making" Discuss

4a) Explain, with examples, Kant's theory of the Catergorical Imperative.
b) "Kant's ethical theory has no serious weaknesses" Discuss

25 marks for part a) 10 marks for part b)
I don't have the actual questions to hand from January 2010 for Philosophy but the questions were on:

- Creatio Ex Nihilio
- Mill's teleological
- Plato's idea of ideals
- Darwinism and Evolution.

I took that paper, and it was terrible...
Just gone over Ontological and Augustine, they did talk some crap these philosophers :biggrin:
Reply 17
Simplyobsessed
I don't have the actual questions to hand from January 2010 for Philosophy but the questions were on:

- Creatio Ex Nihilio
- Mill's teleological
- Plato's idea of ideals
- Darwinism and Evolution.

I took that paper, and it was terrible...

I TOOK this paper too and ended up with quite a bad grade. it was one the worst papers i took!

which topics are u going to revise this time round ?
Aleena
I TOOK this paper too and ended up with quite a bad grade. it was one the worst papers i took!

which topics are u going to revise this time round ?

im doing my as level in it this year, and wondered how u found the timing in the exam?im really worried about it... also i dont know how to revise it, there is just TOO much information/topics ( i dont know if its just my teacher or...) how did you go about it?
Reply 19
I thought that the timing was okai actually, well coz i answered it so badly last time i had more than enough time.

for revision i would tell you to practice loads of question and make them model answers and then show them to ur teacher or a friend if u can. be4 u do that make a mind map so for eg. with the ontological argument list all the people who have talked about it ie gaunilo, anslem, descartes
anselms two version.

then talk about objections so what would kant say about it.

then some modern people like alvin platinga.

then write possible conclusions.

using the textbook as well,

mould all of this informatiob for ur essay.

timing will come natually to u , if u can write good answers then that wont be problem, other wise u need to practice, but with less time eg. instead of 15 minutes 4 part b make it ten minutes ( so u would need to write really fast)

hope this helpes
i hope this helps !

Latest

Trending

Trending