Turn on thread page Beta

Calculator watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This might sound stupid but I'm a worrier.

I start my gcses tomorrow and on my calculator the is loads of tippex with things like i <3 Jake and smiley faces. Will this be allowed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tennisgirl1994)
    This might sound stupid but I'm a worrier.

I start my gcses tomorrow and on my calculator the is loads of tippex with things like i <3 Jake and smiley faces. Will this be allowed?
    Probably be frowned upon incase they contain hidden codes or are revision words hidden in other sentences. Just buy a cheap 50p calculator that can add, all you needfor gcse.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by ste0731)
    Probably be frowned upon incase they contain hidden codes or are revision words hidden in other sentences. Just buy a cheap 50p calculator that can add, all you needfor gcse.
    Good luck doing the quadratic equation with a calculator that can only add! I've gone into an exam with a smiley face drawn on my calculator and have never had any problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    Good luck doing the quadratic equation with a calculator that can only add! I've gone into an exam with a smiley face drawn on my calculator and have never had any problems.
    Do it in your head xD Its a gcse paper, won't be difficult.
    Even a basic calculator can still do the quadratic formula. Just have to do things in the right order.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Do it in your head xD Its a gcse paper, won't be difficult.
    Even a basic calculator can still do the quadratic formula. Just have to do things in the right order.
    I'm sure a calculator that can only add, as you suggested, isn't able to divide and square root as required.

Either way, i'm being pedantic, OP if you're thinking of doing maths at A-level next year maybe invest in a £8 or so Casio calculator (with solar power) to ensure it'll last you for the rest of your years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    I'm sure a calculator that can only add, as you suggested, isn't able to divide and square root as required.

Either way, i'm being pedantic, OP if you're thinking of doing maths at A-level next year maybe invest in a £8 or so Casio calculator (with solar power) to ensure it'll last you for the rest of your years.
    GCSE square roots can easily be done in your head, you never get non-squares.

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't be a problem. i've got loads of graffiti on mine and they never say anything
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    GCSE square roots can easily be done in your head, you never get non-squares.
    I'm not going to argue, but I doubt you can do this question from a GCSE calculator paper in your head:

Answer = 2pi * sqrt (30.5 / 9.75)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    I'm not going to argue, but I doubt you can do this question from a GCSE calculator paper in your head:

Answer = 2pi * sqrt (30.5 / 9.75)
    Even basic calculators have sqrts.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Even basic calculators have sqrts.
    Not those ones which are NOT scientific. - non-scientific calcs are normally used in KS2 sats right?

Anyway, If you can just try to get rid of it just incase an invigilator comes around and says something.

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.