Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't get how Universities evaluates applications? I applied to a lot of Universities just to have a range of choice, but to my surprise I got rejected from the one's with lower entry requirements and got accepted into the one's with higher entry requirements.

I got offers from:

1) Strathclyde
    2) Kent
    3) Birmingham
    4) Bradford
    5) Glasgow
    6) Northumbria
    7) MMU
    8) Leicester
    9) Bangor

Got rejected from:

1) Robert Gordon
    2) Aberdeen
    3) Sheffield
    4) Sussex
    5) East Anglia

I should also point out that I applied for Finance (so you could evaluate even the individual departments of each Uni).

ReputationRep:
    Lower Entry Requirements != Lower Competition

ReputationRep:
    1) Strathclyde
    2) Kent
    3) Birmingham
    4) Bradford
    5) Glasgow
    6) Northumbria
    7) MMU
    8) Leicester
    9) Bangor

Lets be honest none of them would really have high entry requirements (except birmingham).
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    How did you apply for so many universities, I thought the maximum was five

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpdavis)
    How did you apply for so many universities, I thought the maximum was five
    It's post grad
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by grape:))
    It's post grad
    Thanks, that makes sense to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haris.gul)
    I don't get how Universities evaluates applications? I applied to a lot of Universities just to have a range of choice, but to my surprise I got rejected from the one's with lower entry requirements and got accepted into the one's with higher entry requirements.

I should also point out that I applied for Finance (so you could evaluate even the individual departments of each Uni).
    I suspect because your personal statement didn't match their expectations/requirements. No-one except the unis concerned will be able to say with certainty. Why worry about it anyway? You seem to have plenty to choose from.

ReputationRep:
    It seems like it is all about numbers applying, I know those who ask for less look for other things such as experience and esp unis with high drop out rates, they want to find people who will stay on their courses.
    Alot of people are put off applying to unis who want so much, just because it puts alot of pressure on to get in, maybe thats a reason? who knows. But congrats on the offers, youve got lots of choice there. Any idea which one your going to pick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dukeofgrove)
    1) Strathclyde
    2) Kent
    3) Birmingham
    4) Bradford
    5) Glasgow
    6) Northumbria
    7) MMU
    8) Leicester
    9) Bangor

Lets be honest none of them would really have high entry requirements (except birmingham).
    I know it's not the golden triangle, but compared to the one's I got rejected from - they are much superior.

And if you do your research - Glasgow, Strathclyde and Birmingham are among the top 10 UK Universities for Accounting and Finance (for PostGrads).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hermione_moo)
    It seems like it is all about numbers applying, I know those who ask for less look for other things such as experience and esp unis with high drop out rates, they want to find people who will stay on their courses.
    Alot of people are put off applying to unis who want so much, just because it puts alot of pressure on to get in, maybe thats a reason? who knows. But congrats on the offers, youve got lots of choice there. Any idea which one your going to pick?
    That might be the case.

And I am probably going to pick between Glasgow, Strathclyde and Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    The uni's I got accepted to were all high up in the ranking table and one that rejected me are all low in the ranking table. I got crap grades but a one unique personal statement that matched what my references says about me.

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

Student on bed with laptop

All student accommodation articles

City guides and advice on finding the right place

Photo of apprentices

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A young woman talking to her mother

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.