Gastroenteritis - rapid weight loss :S Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi I've had gastroenteritis since Sunday, and haven't been able to eat anything since about Sunday morning. Anything I've tried to eat I have just vomited, and have had acute diarrhea.

My weight has dropped from 12.5 stone to 12 stone Will I regain this when I get better? Is this normal to lose this amount of weight? I have been drinking plenty of fluids too to replenish lost fluids.
Anonymous #1
Should also ask - should I visit my GP today, or do they advise you NOT to do that as it is so infectious? I need to get a sick note from the doctor to get off work for another day until I'm recovered as it's infectious.

Do doctors just write a note for you there and then?
Anonymous #1
*bumped as this took a while to get approved*
*Star*Guitar*
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I can't advise on the docs, but with your illness I'd perhaps have some energy drink like lucozade sport to keep hydrated cause if you lose a substantial amount of fluids you need to keep your electrolytes up too and water won't help that.
The weight really will come back before you know it once you can start eating properly again.
Sophia_And_Me
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Don't worry you will regain weight after you recover.Try eating yougourt? Of course you should see a doctor- it's not just some flu,so he's most likely to give you some medicine. Go straight away!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
I can't advise on the docs, but with your illness I'd perhaps have some energy drink like lucozade sport to keep hydrated cause if you lose a substantial amount of fluids you need to keep your electrolytes up too and water won't help that.
The weight really will come back before you know it once you can start eating properly again.
Thanks for the advice But if I went to the doctor would he be able to give me a sick note for work? It's just, the symptoms have subsided a little bit, but I'm still not eating, and I don't want to infect people at work. Or is it enough to ring the workplace and tell them I'm still not well enough for another day, or do they always need doctors notes? I have so far had two days off work (but both were half days anyway).
Barden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i could do with a bout of severe illness right now........lost half a stone when i had swine flu
emilyyy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Good job on the water.
Lucozade says on the bottle not to drink it in order to replace fluids lost from diarrhoea
Agreed you need to replace electrolytes, but you're best off getting someone to grab you some diarrolyte or something from a pharmacy in order to do that.

Weight loss is normal if you're not eating. You should regain the vast majority of it when you start eating normally again. I lost an absurd amount of weight when I was in hospital following appendicitis/peritonitis but I would say I got back to my normal weight within a month or two post-recovery.
Nattakkk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi I've had gastroenteritis for 7days now I have been sick twice but that's all I have felt like death I'm finally feeling a little better no sickness or constipation but my back is aching like mad I have tried to drink a lot of water but it just sits in my tummy and makes me feel sick I'm OK now but I am wondering why I have back ache all of a sudden
ozmo19
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nattakkk)
Hi I've had gastroenteritis for 7days now I have been sick twice but that's all I have felt like death I'm finally feeling a little better no sickness or constipation but my back is aching like mad I have tried to drink a lot of water but it just sits in my tummy and makes me feel sick I'm OK now but I am wondering why I have back ache all of a sudden
Have you been in bed most of the time this past week? That could have something to do with.
If the pain is pretty bad I'd advise seeing a doctor about it

Also, don't drink too much water - this will make you feel sick for sure!

I know when I had gastroenteritis I slept approx 18 hours a day and was vomiting 10 times a day.
Sickgirl143
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there sorry you're not well but you are not alone Sadly I am also suffering from gastroenteritis and on my journey I've learned a few things. Mine only lasted for 9 days and I lost about 12-15lbs. Although this seems very dramatic they claim it's a normal part of this proccess. I assume you will regain your weight as long as you continue the eating habits you had before this bout. Shy away from dairy or greasy foods, avoid applejuice, excessive sugar and DO NOT CHEW GUM!! I did all of these things withough knowing simply because my body craved them. Don't fall for it or you'll be back tracking yourself. The foods that stayed down for me were bananas ( helped my dizziness tremendously) English muffins (NO butter or spread, just plain) pretzels, honey nut cheerios, crackers and toward the end broth with some noodles. Don't eat too much at once as your body isn't used to food and may reject it. After a bathroom trip and introducing water back into my diet I started to feel a lot more stable, I thanked the banana for that. I know it seems hopeless but it will pass, I had to make 2 hospital trips and call multiple Dr's before I felt relief but in time, it does pass. If you think you're suffering from dehydration hit the er tho, it was and complication I had and it def impeded my healing proccess. Hope this comforts you in some way, it's best to stay calm. Just remember you're not alone, you're not dying and this will pass <3 ♡
Beckibatman18
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I wouldn't suggest too many energy drinks as it's bad for you if you have been struggling to eat as much as you normally would, the best thing is to get meal replacement drinks (nothing too dairy as they can make you worse) and make sure to have vitamins and protein which is normally in food replacement drinks. I have a very high motabolism and have been ill for the past few days I have lost a stone in 3 days when I got some food replacements it helped me feel stronger again and able to carry on with my days as normal. If you are able to still eat and still rapidly losing weight I suggest drinking a food replacement drink with or after every meal. This improves weight gain.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1205)
79.59%
Leave (309)
20.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise