Turn on thread page Beta

Maths Students and Music watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: How many tracks do you have on your ipod?
    Less Than 200
    7.69%
    200 - 500
    11.54%
    501 - 1000
    7.69%
    1001 - 2000
    11.54%
    2001 - 3000
    15.38%
    3001 - 4999
    11.54%
    More than 5000
    34.62%

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i'm currently doing a first year project about maths and how it is involved in music etc and thought it would be interesting to see if there were any major differences between those that study maths subjects (economics, accounting, straight maths etc) and those that don't.

So if you could it would be great if you could just answer the poll on how many songs you have on your ipod/mp3 players if you do a maths subject.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I fail to see what possible link there might be between studying maths and the number of songs you own. Now, studying maths and playing an instrument would be a different matter altogether.

ReputationRep:
    I am a maths student but i have exactly 5000 songs so i am having a breakdown over your poll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rowzee)
    I fail to see what possible link there might be between studying maths and the number of songs you own. Now, studying maths and playing an instrument would be a different matter altogether.
    this.

ReputationRep:
    I am a Maths student and I have over 7k songs on my PC. However I do not play an instrument, which is a better gauge of the link you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecityscape)
    I am a maths student but i have exactly 5000 songs so i am having a breakdown over your poll
    lol

ReputationRep:
    There could well be. If you've ever read Professor Levitt's books, you get some of the weirdest and seemingly irrelevant yet fascinating and in fact relevant correlations. :p:

ReputationRep:
    This

ReputationRep:
    400 to 500 songs on my iTunes list. But I do tend to listen to youtube videos or stereomood.com, since I lack the time to download music. I am also a grade 6 pianist from when I was like 13 or 14.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, the poll just shows that..... people, whether maths students or not, have different numbers of songs on itunes.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, although a weird link to propose, maybe there are a few lurking variables here.

Perhaps the amount of music on your itunes or ipod is related to the amount of time spent studying/revising. Do Maths students spend more time on the computer doing work? Is some of that time spent procrastinating and searching for new songs to download?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I love the response bias leading to more than three times as many people answering this poll than the other, despite there (presumably) being far fewer mathematicians.

Would you admit to the possibility of a link between playing an instrument and the number of songs you own? If so, there's your possible link.

Also, why does the poll ask about MP3 players instead of simply the size of total music collection? Or is this part of the study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by majikthise)
    Would you admit to the possibility of a link between playing an instrument and the number of songs you own? If so, there's your possible link.
    I'm skeptical about the transitive properties of these two relations :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm skeptical about the transitive properties of these two relations :rolleyes:
    Why? Of course it may not be fully transitive, but there's nothing to suggest ruling it out as a possible link.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by majikthise)
    Why? Of course it may not be fully transitive, but there's nothing to suggest ruling it out as a possible link.
    Maybe. Anyway, my main point is that a young person having craploads of songs is indicative of virtually nothing since it's a widespread practice. You could draw parallels to the differences in numbers with personal habits but involving the course of study is a bit of a longshot.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a maths student, I have over 10k songs and I play an instrument.

However, correlation does not equal causation, anyone wanna explain why they think there's a link between these two things?

ReputationRep:
    ^^nerdgasm :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe. Anyway, my main point is that a young person having craploads of songs is indicative of virtually nothing since it's a widespread practice. You could draw parallels to the differences in numbers with personal habits but involving the course of study is a bit of a longshot.
    It's a perfectly reasonable thing to investigate, even if only to come to a negative conclusion.

As an aside, just to point out a flaw in the poll- on a site such as this, not everyone will have decided what to study at university yet, so some people may have answered the other poll when in time they may have reason to answer this one. Also (for the same reason) the average age of respondents in this poll will be higher, which could further skew results.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.