Turn on thread page Beta

Is anyone else like "FFS tell me what you're going to do about uni fees!! watch

ReputationRep:
    This is really annoying me now, I'm checking the news everyday and even today when they revealed the full coalition deal/manifesto, still nothing on fees!
    Anyone else feeling this and does anyone actually know what they plan on doing?

it won't affect you anyway, you've already signed your contract with the SLC.

ReputationRep:
    I have a slight feeling the answer will be nothing for at least a year

ReputationRep:
    Thery're waiting on a review from Lord Browne.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're only about 16, I doubt any changes will affect you.

When top-up fees were first introduced, they were discussed for a while before, then became law in 2004, and didn't actually come into use until the year I started uni (2006).

At the moment they're waiting for the full results of the Browne review. I suspect that next year they might try to put fees up, but it probably wouldn't actually affect students until 2012 or so. At a guess...

Also, people who started uni in 2004 and 2005 still paid the old tuition fees (about £1500 I think) until they graduated, even though new tuition fees had come in. So if you're starting uni in 2010, you're probably ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliceStory)
    Thery're waiting on a review from Lord Browne.
    This.

Op, the review is likely to be published in the Autumn. It is likely to recommend that tuition fees go up significantly. It is speculated that fees will gradually rise to about £7,000 per year, but fees are unlikely to go anywhere near that right away.

ReputationRep:
    Are you stupid? Your entering university in 2010, it will have absolutely no effect on your situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Are you stupid? Your entering university in 2010, it will have absolutely no effect on your situation.
    I resent being called stupid, as it is something that is very important and if it doesn't effect me that's good but I still want to know, thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    They'll rise to £5000 for those starting in 2011, I bet. The government needs to get rid of its debt.

ReputationRep:
    even if they triple the fees it wont stop anyone going to uni for financial reasons.

so it really doesnt matter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SouthernFreerider)
    even if they triple the fees it wont stop anyone going to uni for financial reasons.

so it really doesnt matter
    few share your optimism about the inelasticity of demand

ReputationRep:
    It will stop people going to uni for financial reasons as people don't want to be stuck with a mortgage style debt.

Also saying that they are waiting on the results of the Browne review is not a good enough answer but a way to delay them having to say anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    No as it most likely wont apply to me and even if it does I'm still going to uni.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I won't be going to University until 2013 but I was still reading the BBC news website thinking "TELL ME ABOUT THE GOD DAMN FEES!" Haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iloveblondie)
    This is really annoying me now, I'm checking the news everyday and even today when they revealed the full coalition deal/manifesto, still nothing on fees!
    FFS you'll have to wait. Believe it or not student fees are not top of the coalition's agenda. The world doesn't revolve around students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    few share your optimism about the inelasticity of demand
    thats because they're morons. currently the fees are astronomically low. tripling them would still leave them low.

I wouldn't ever suggest we let it get like the situation in america, but currently, fees are definitely too low.

ReputationRep:
    It will stop people going to uni for financial reasons as people don't want to be stuck with a mortgage style debt.

Also saying that they are waiting on the results of the Browne review is not a good enough answer but a way to delay them having to say anything about it.
    maybe it'll stop the bottom 25% of people going to uni. which'll save the taxpayer tonnes, and also get a lot more people into work, as opposed to dossing around at uni.

its a ******* joke.

ReputationRep:

The money grabbing tories are going to ban poor people from going to uni and pay rich people to go to uni...........:eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    It is speculated that fees will gradually rise to about £7,000 per year,
    A year!? Seriously?!? 21k for a course! I honestly can't see that happening, not if the torys want to lose their 'we are here to represent the rich' look. I thought the governments aim was to open up uni to more people not just the rich.

Im about to finnish AS. You think I will be hit by any rises when I apply for uni?

ReputationRep:
    hypothetically speaking, if they decided to scrap fees altogether (obviously not going to happen) do you reckon current students would still have to pay until the end of their courses?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.