AQA CHEM1 Fri 21 May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Master.K
No way!

Higher/lower?
Master.K
Lool.
I'm resisting the revision thread until 9th June, the i'll be back.

I'm feeling confident, it's just that I hate the drawings....

Are we allowed to discuss this paper already?
Master.K
No way!

They couldn't really be lower. It was 83% for an A in Jan.
Stirlo
They do, I noticed how they left chlorine off the graph for period 3 in order to try and make people fall into the trap of putting fluorine for the highest ionisation energy of period 2.

Overall found the paper alright, with section B being quite easy, only found a couple of the first sub questions challenging, so hope I've done better this time around :smile:

AQAAAAAAAAAAAAAA damn you!!!!!

section B was actually alright. When they asked for the fundamental particles, did you put the three fundamental particles including electrons, or just two??
Sparkly-Star

Yeah
Master.K
No way!

Generally,
40%: E
50%: D
60%: C
70%: B
80%: A

Ofc, the boundaries do change, but I don't think they change by much.
Does anyone know how marks translate into UMS...?
?!master?!mini?!

section B was actually alright. When they asked for the fundamental particles, did you put the three fundamental particles including electrons, or just two??

All 3
_Andrew_
They couldn't really be lower. It was 83% for an A in Jan.

Last year June, was 54/70, Jan 2010 was 58 as it was a piss easy paper.

Hopefully its somewhere around 54
I thought the paper was hard compared to some past papers I did recently - too many off-syllabus questions :s-smilie: Some answers I got (these are by no means correct, although some coincide with what others have got, just browse a few pages):

11.1dm^-3 on the gas equation question

van der Waals' forces on IMF force for CCl2F2 (Read a few answers on here varied with dipole-dipole. due to the molecule shape, don't the dipole's cancel?)

54.3% for a %age question

0.938moldm^-3 for conc of HCl acid

Sulphur dioxide as gas X, and I gave some very strange answers for the mesh thing...still irritated as to why they put those type of questions on... I believe the answer to the mesh ones are acid-base/neutralisation type reaction and increased surface area? (Instead of increased SA, I put to still allow non-contaminated gas through, can anyone say if this is still ok?)

Hope this helps if you see some familiar answers. Would like to know if other ppl got similar! 2 down, loads to go... :woo:
Haruhi
I think you would still get the mark as long as you said spark/heat/temp enough for reaction 8D

It was 2 marks, did you write the equation?

Ah I actually thought when I was on that question that I should write the equation just in case.....and for some reason, when I finished writing out the answer, I didn't write the equation out :facepalm2:

jak67m
yeh i wrote about how the engine heats up and it gives enough energry for the nitrogen and oxygen in the air to react??? would that b correct?

Not sure :s-smilie:
Thats what I wrote, but as Haruhi said before, I think we may get one mark for that
This unit 1 is nothing compared to what we're going to get for Unit 2 :facepalm:
Reply 211
_Andrew_
I'm guessing around 80% for an A

no way! That'd make it easier than last year
Reply 212
?!master?!mini?!

I included the electrons, was a bit unsure about that, think it may have been another trick with them asking about mass number
Goldfishy
I thought the paper was hard compared to some past papers I did recently - too many off-syllabus questions :s-smilie: Some answers I got (these are by no means correct, although some coincide with what others have got, just browse a few pages):

11.3dm^-3 on the gas equation question

van der Waals' forces on IMF force for CCl2F2 (Read a few answers on here varied with dipole-dipole. due to the molecule shape, don't the dipole's cancel?)

54.3% for a %age question

Sulphur dioxide as gas X, and I gave some very strange answers for the mesh thing...still irritated as to why they put those type of questions on... I believe the answer to the mesh ones are acid-base/neutralisation type reaction and increased surface area? (Instead of increased SA, I put to still allow non-contaminated gas through, can anyone say if this is still ok?)

Hope this helps if you see some familiar answers. Would like to know if other ppl got similar! 2 down, loads to go... :woo:

Erm your answers for the calcs are right except the first one, it is 11.1dm3 (note that the answer was 11.13 something, maybe you misread it). The force is dipole dipole because the dipoles of CF are larger than CCl so they 'outweigh' it.

The only answer for the mesh is S.A. :frown:
Reply 214
Goldfishy

I put increased surface area for that one, which is quite sensible i think. Had a guess with the 2nd part though about why they react? I think it was. In the end i think i put something about it making gypsum xD
Sparkly-Star

Yep we can...how did you find it?
Reply 216
Goldfishy

11.3dm^-3 on the gas equation question
yes i got this

van der Waals' forces on IMF force for CCl2F2 (Read a few answers on here varied with dipole-dipole. due to the molecule shape, don't the dipole's cancel?)yeah i got this

54.3% for a %age questionsame

i think i got this.. can't remember, but thereabouts
Sulphur dioxide as gas X, and I gave some very strange answers for the mesh thing...still irritated as to why they put those type of questions on... I believe the answer to the mesh ones are acid-base/neutralisation type reaction and increased surface area? (Instead of increased SA, I put to still allow non-contaminated gas through, can anyone say if this is still ok?)got SO2 but not the explanation i wrote something stupid for the explanation

N2O5 for the empircal formular of the nitrogen oxidesame

Miss.R
Higher/lower?

Lower obviously....:cry2: *He prays to God*
It is going to be lower, but it wasn't too difficult.
CHEM1STRY
Erm your answers for the calcs are right except the first one, it is 11.1dm3 (note that the answer was 11.13 something, maybe you misread it). The force is dipole dipole because the dipoles of CF are larger than CCl so they 'outweigh' it.

The only answer for the mesh is S.A. :frown:

Typo on the 11.1 - did definitely get that *phew*, changed it now. I'm a little gutted on the mesh one as it seems a but obvious, but for the vdWs' I'm still not convinced; there are two C-F bonds and the shape is tetrahedral so surely it still cancels slightly? And also the electronegativity of Cl isn't that far off of F's (3.5 to 4.0)? Tbh though, I scribbled out dipole-dipole and then wrote vdWs' :mad:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending