Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, ANOTHER thread asking for help! lol OKAY, todays question is about A-level Law. I know its popular so hopefully we'll have plenty of feedback

Anywhoo, Law is something I've always been interested in so I am pondering over whether to take this subject as a A-Level. Could someone break down the course and tell me what you though of it? I heard there is no course-work, is this true? Did you find it difficult?

Any help is appriciated, thanks

ReputationRep:
    From what I've heard most Universities prefer it if you haven't taken Law at A-level (mainly because the course teaches some porky pies and cuts corners etc.)! Law at A-level is on the "LSE Micky-Mouse subject list". :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Really? I haven't heard that before....thanks for that, anybody else got any opinions?

ReputationRep:
    What about if you wanna study it at Uni? don't you have to do it at A-level first?

It's an interesting course, in parts. Requires a good memory as well. For AS (AQA), you'll learn a basic outline of the English Legal System, the sork of those in the legal profession, and the beginnings of criminal law and negligence. It's not needed for uni law. If you really want to find out what the course would involve, I'd recommend scanning a syllabus, from one of the exam boards' sites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shazanawoo)
    What about if you wanna study it at Uni? don't you have to do it at A-level first?
    No you don't have to study law at a level to do it at uni. They prefer it if you DON'T study it at A-level, although I am not too certain why. It seems pointless anyway. If you are going to enter into a legal profession, why not spend your time studying another subject at A-level since everything you are going to need you will learn at UNI without the need for any basic a-level knowledge in the subject

ReputationRep:
    I did AS law. It was pretty good but I found it one of my hardest subjects (Also did history, geog, french, (gen studs)). You need to remember LOADS of information. If you good at argument-style essays you'll be good at it probably. I did no CW.

It's a good subject, and no, there isn't any coursework. But that might be a choice of the teacher, I know the fact I had no c/w in sociology either was the choice of the teacher choosing a third exam instead.

I did AQA and the first module was pretty boring really. It's about how law is made by parliament, how judges then interpret it, how people delegate leglislation, and the europe union.

The second is pretty basic stuff, it's about how to become a barrister/solicitor/legal executive/ magistrate/ judge. The different work each one of those does, the training. The uses of a jury etc....

The third was my favourite, because it's getting onto some actual cases and real law. Half of it is the law on assault, ABH, GHB etc, and the second half is negligence, like if a doctor makes a mistake can you sue him etc, and in this the type of question is different, you get a little scenario in the question and then something like "discuss what assault Fred may be charged with."

Not all unis dislike you to have done law, but most do. My dads a law teacher and not even he knows quite why that is. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking it, my mum works in law and her barristor freind reckons, its good to take it at A- level.

He thinks it gives you a good grounding.

ReputationRep:
    I did GCE 'A' level with OCR. It's an alright subject to take but you might have to bear in mind potential university places due to educational snobbery.

ReputationRep:
    I took Law As last year, think I'm going to carry it on through to A2. Had a thread about it - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t146144.html

I did it with a Welsh examboard called WJEC, through what they call video conferencing crazy stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shazanawoo)
    Yeah, ANOTHER thread asking for help! lol OKAY, todays question is about A-level Law. I know its popular so hopefully we'll have plenty of feedback

Anywhoo, Law is something I've always been interested in so I am pondering over whether to take this subject as a A-Level. Could someone break down the course and tell me what you though of it? I heard there is no course-work, is this true? Did you find it difficult?

Any help is appriciated, thanks
    It doesn't cover all the aspects well enough and the A-Level course is apparently slightly misleading in parts. However, I know some people who've been to all the open days to places like Oxbridge etc and asked these questions and the general verdict I think is that it doesn't damage your chances to most unis

ReputationRep:
    For doing Law at Unis, then it's clear that most Unis don't want u to do law at A-Levels. How come? U can find out the answers in some previous threads. And yes, it obviously doesn't cover all the legal aspects well enough. I would be astonished if it did. However, for other Uni courses, esp social science, Law would definitely help. I'm planning to take Economics or Management and I'm glad that I did do Law for AS. Willing to carry on with it to A2. I'm doing OCR Law and it's certainly the most intriguing subject I've ever come across.

ReputationRep:
    Ive just completed A level law, and id recommend it, so much so that im now going to start a degree in it in October! I found A2 much more interesting than AS so please dont be put off by that. Its a differcult subject in the sense that some concepts can be trciky to understand but once you get it, its fairly simple and success lies in a good writing still and a decent memory for points of law and cases!

With regards to whether Unis like you to have done it or not, i think its hard to guess! However, im going to Cambridge so obviously they werent too bothered!! Im glad i did it at A level as otherwise i never would have commited to a career in law and i think the basic knowledge i have in stuff cover at school will be a good basis in uni, rather than learning everything from scratch!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxripitupxx)
    With regards to whether Unis like you to have done it or not, i think its hard to guess! However, im going to Cambridge so obviously they werent too bothered!!
    Abagnale, is this enough proof for you? If Cambridge don't give a sh*t, who will? LSE, maybe, apart from that most don't actually care.

ReputationRep:
    Im applying to uni for law and ive never taken the a level... mainly because my school didnt offer it, but when i changed to a different college, they told me i might actually be at more of an advantage than everyone else at the college applying for law because theyve all done A level law and the majority of people in the country havent. Apparently no university will give you preference if youve done it... and they seem to prefer some of the skills you can pick up in othe subjects.

Why do it if its uneccesary for uni? I dont get it... personally id rather gain some other skills which will be good for studying law at uni rather than doing something that will get me no preference and ill end up redoing in the first e weeks of uni anyway.

Not sure that made sense but hey.

ReputationRep:
    There is no consensus on the "Law A level good/bad?" question - it varies a lot. Most dont mind either way, though there are exceptions, LSE being one. If you are unsure, give the place you are looking at a ring and see what they say - thats the best way to (attempt!) to get a conclusive answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawHopeful)
    Im applying to uni for law and ive never taken the a level... mainly because my school didnt offer it, but when i changed to a different college, they told me i might actually be at more of an advantage than everyone else at the college applying for law because theyve all done A level law and the majority of people in the country havent. Apparently no university will give you preference if youve done it... and they seem to prefer some of the skills you can pick up in othe subjects.

Why do it if its uneccesary for uni? I dont get it... personally id rather gain some other skills which will be good for studying law at uni rather than doing something that will get me no preference and ill end up redoing in the first e weeks of uni anyway.

Not sure that made sense but hey.
    Well the question is more is it ok to do it as opposed to is it ok not to do it.. Some people might just want to do the Law A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't understand why Law is not prefered by some Universities... Can anyone clear the fog for me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelated)
    I really don't understand why Law is not prefered by some Universities... Can anyone clear the fog for me?
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Plus A-level law is taught in a very different way to how most unis teach it, or so I'm told. They prefer to teach it from scratch using their own methods.

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.