All-girls colleges - some advice needed for manic friend Watch

This discussion is closed.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Haz)
Newnham is apparently known as the 'girlfriend shop!' seriously, it's brilliant.
Now that's something I haven't heard. None of my male friends have yet said "I know, let's go to an all-girls' college to pull..." However, I guess some must. One of my friends (not from Clare) has a girlfriend at Newnham, but they were going out before they came to Cam.

JaF, with 300 Freshers at Trinity, there'll be plenty to pick from anyway!

To all of you who have pool interviews, you need to decide whether the chance of a Cambridge education is something you want enough to take no matter what college. From all the reports, the all-girls colleges are not the convents some people perceive them as, nor are they the havens of *****dom that all-girls' school is. Some of the Newnham medics were nasty to me on the first day though :mad: but I have met some lovely girls from there as well
JaF
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
JaF, with 300 Freshers at Trinity, there'll be plenty to pick from anyway!
Quality not quantity! Anyway Trinity is only 30.9% Women so there will only be ~93 Women and 207 blokes. I really do feel sorry for those 93 as on the first night of freshers week just about every staright male will no doubt be trying to pull at least one of them.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I didn't realise the ratio was like that! Clare is 50/50, which is nice. Bizarrely though, there wasn't that much random pulling going on between the freshers right at the start of term; people didn't start getting into that until a couple of weeks into term You'll be fine though.
JaF
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You'll be fine though.
I'll quote you on that when I'm still single at the May Ball
Canada Girl
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
Thanks Mentally Ill--I guess my self-doubt is increasing cause I have heard nothing yet (pretty frustrating). Are you still waiting too?

(Original post by Mentally Ill)
I think they could make up their mind about whether or not you can handle the Cambridge degree by looking at your academic record and personal statement. To be doing your masters you must be of a certain standard, so I think if your exams come up good then you are in. Goodluck, I dont think you'll need it!
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by JaF)
I'll quote you on that when I'm still single at the May Ball
Dude, short of a miracle, I'll still be single by the May Ball. It's not the end of the world. Besides, it's only the first year, there's ages to find someone (this is crap coming from me, really, considering how much time I spend thinking about my lack of boyfriend, but it's true, being in a relationship doesn't make or break your time at Cambridge).
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by JaF)
Trinity is only 30.9% Women
Are you sure? My best friend is at Trinity and spent the last term gloating about the fact that in the current first year there are more women than men for the first time since the place was founded.. Don't give up hope
Bumblebee3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think the fact that everyone seems to have had different experiences shows that Cambridge is what you make it no matter what college you are in. I applied to Newnham because it seemed to have a great atmosphere and lovely people. Self-fulfilling prophecy I don't know but that is what it is for me! Wherever you are you can have a fantastic time and meet/date whoever you want. hardly anyone sees people from their own college anyway - too claustrophobic...
JaF
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
The 30.9% comes from here

I'm really not that bothered about the % women because at the end of the day its just not that important. Its not like I would be forced to stay within the college all the time. Having said that, it would be nice to be able to make friends with the young ladies at Trinity.
Canada Girl
Report 15 years ago
I went to an all-girl school and then did Women's Studies for my undergraduate degree. I had no problem meeting guys (although can't say I was attracted to the majority of them!). Chances are you'll meet your sweetie(s) when you least expect it (the gym? pub? cafe?) and you will probably want to stay away from dating within your college anyway. By the time you graduate, it seems a little incestuous (ie. everyone has hit on and more with everyone else in your college). Trust me--I've already been through it! Besides, isn't it more exciting knowing you could meet someone anywhere, at anytime???

(Original post by JaF)
The 30.9% comes from here

I'm really not that bothered about the % women because at the end of the day its just not that important. Its not like I would be forced to stay within the college all the time. Having said that, it would be nice to be able to make friends with the young ladies at Trinity.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Haz)
hardly anyone sees people from their own college anyway - too claustrophobic...
Beg to differ - there are quite a lot of in-college couples now, once everyone finally started to get the initiative and start pulling each other. May be different at different colleges though, and I don't know how many of them will last...
Bumblebee3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Beg to differ - there are quite a lot of in-college couples now, once everyone finally started to get the initiative and start pulling each other. May be different at different colleges though, and I don't know how many of them will last...
From what I've heard people try it once or twice in the 1st year and realise that bumping into your ex with his pull in the corridoor in the middle of the night isn't pleasent...
Sazzle
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
When I had my Ox interview at least 4 of the 'helpers' were going out with each other ( I mean two twos!) - They had obviously agreed to stay on and get paid with the bonus of staying together rather than being in different parts of the country - how sweet! :rolleyes:
Canada Girl
Report 15 years ago
I agree with Haz. It sucks big time to run into an ex or someone you like when s/he is with someone else. I guess the point i was trying to make earlier is that one need not rely on their own college to meet people because the whole campus is pretty much fair game. After all, when there is such an extensive selection process for the applicants, you can pretty much ensure that everyone on campus is pretty neat and interesting.

(Original post by Haz)
From what I've heard people try it once or twice in the 1st year and realise that bumping into your ex with his pull in the corridoor in the middle of the night isn't pleasent...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (554)
80.41%
Leave (135)
19.59%

Watched Threads