Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    how many hours do people work when they are uni?

I'm going into my second year and plan on getting some part time work. I was thinking around 8-12 hours over a weekend or saturday+one weekday evening.

I'm tempted in phoning up sainsburys near my uni as I'm currently working there here back home and I'm trained to work. So if they wanted me to work I could basically just start work without much training.

Is it worth me phoning them up now (within next week) or should I wait untill I Know my university timetable? I dont think i will have many hours this year. perhaps 10-12 hours a week contact time.

Thing is, 12 hours at £5.15 (sainsburys wage) equals a monthly wage of £247.something, and my monthly house rent is 255. Its very worthwhile methinks. But i want some opinions on whether 2nd year workload makes working advisiable

ReputationRep:
    I know I could have easily managed a weekend job in my second year instead I tended to go gallavanting at weekends. My course is supposed to be 'heavy' so i wouldn't have thought you'd have too many problems.

ReputationRep:
    ive had a job in my first and second year and i managed fine,
    First year i worked 3 nights a week 5 till 8 and then all day sat

second year i worked friday and sat nights 8pm till 3am
    I managed a 6 week placement also so im sure you will be fine!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.