Turn on thread page Beta

OCR Chemistry A - Unit 1 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick one before the exam tomorrow...

How do you work out how many 'electron pairs' a molecule has in order to work out the shape of the molecule?

Thanks in advance and Good luck to everyone who is also doing the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rennythetoad16)

How do you work out how many 'electron pairs' a molecule has in order to work out the shape of the molecule?

You draw a dot and cross diagram of the molecule.
    And then count how many electron pairs are bonded to the central atom.
    e.g. in water - H2O

The hydrogen atoms are bonded to the central Oxygen atom forming two bonded pairs of electrons. Water also has two LONE pairs of electrons that arent bonded to anything.
    lone pairs repel more than bonded pairs.
    A molecule with 2 lone pairs of electrons has a non linear shape with a bond angle of 104.5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rennythetoad16)

Check how many electrons each atom has in their outer shell. Draw the structure to check how many electrons are used to form bonds (if it's regular covalent bond, then 1 electron, but if it's dative covalent bond then it can be 2 (if it donates) or 0 (if it doesn't donate).
    Number of electron pairs = (no. of electrons in outer shell - no. of electrons used to form bonds)/2

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Just another kinda related question, why do the lone pairs go together, why dont the bonded pairs go in-between the lone pairs to cancel out? Is there a reason and if asked should i just choose whatever is the most awkward. ie. lone pairs together?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by jontylol)
    Just another kinda related question, why do the lone pairs go together, why dont the bonded pairs go in-between the lone pairs to cancel out? Is there a reason and if asked should i just choose whatever is the most awkward. ie. lone pairs together?
    Both lone pairs and bonded pairs are doubly negatively charged and repel one another. They cannot 'cancel out'.

It's just that LP-LP repulsion is stronger than LP-BP which is stronger than BP-BP repulsion.

ReputationRep:
    In the lone pair, 2 electrons always go together as a pair, the bond pair can't go between them. If you try to draw the boxes and put arrows (which represent electrons), may be you can see it. However, when the reaction is going to occur, one of the two arrows will move to another box, and those 2 electrons are going to form bonds with other electrons from other atoms. But if there is no reaction then those 2 electrons will stay together as a pair.

Does it answer your question? I really hope that it does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuzia Bulu)
    In the lone pair, 2 electrons always go together as a pair, the bond pair can't go between them. If you try to draw the boxes and put arrows (which represent electrons), may be you can see it. However, when the reaction is going to occur, one of the two arrows will move to another box, and those 2 electrons are going to form bonds with other electrons from other atoms. But if there is no reaction then those 2 electrons will stay together as a pair.

Does it answer your question? I really hope that it does.
    Ahh, i just realised my question was badly worded. I was meaning when you have 2 lone pairs, such as in H2O. I know that a bonded pair cant just hop between a lone pair :P Sorry for the confusion xD

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, i just realised my question was badly worded. I was meaning when you have 2 lone pairs, such as in H2O. I know that a bonded pair cant just hop between a lone pair :P Sorry for the confusion xD
    Oh, I guess I have to practise English more (it's my second language). Sorry. And I've just notice charco's answer, I agree with him/her

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post25301883

this thread may be useful

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 20, 2010

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.