Do you believe in the "Law of Attraction" ? Watch

Preeka
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
As the title states.

For those who have not heard of it previously,

"The Law of Attraction simply says that you attract into your life whatever you think about. Your dominant thoughts will find a way to manifest."

"The law of attraction is a controversial theory commonly associated with New Age and New Thought theories. It posits that one should never dwell on the negative, as the "metaphysical principle of life" is embodied in a "law of attraction": "you get what you think about; your thoughts determine your destiny.""

In a nutshell (from my understanding of it anyway), it states that if you want something and truly believe it will happen in your mind, then the universe will mould itself in such a way that your wishes will be accommodated for but the main principle to it is the belief that it'll happen.

Opinions?
Yas89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
yeah I kinda agree with this. People with a positive outlook in life will probably get more. But I think that is because people are more receptive to someone that is positive than negative. But I see what you mean. Interesting stuff
SophiaKeuning
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah, I do believe it! And there's a book i read about it, and it's fiction so I didn't know that the 'Law of Attraction' truly existed. : o
SophiaKeuning
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah, I do believe it! And there's a book i read about it, and it's fiction so I didn't know that the 'Law of Attraction' truly existed. : o
Wesker115
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I believe to a certain extent people who think and act positively will attract those kind of people into their lives and are liable to look for the good in every situation. You tend to get what you focus on in life, if you focus on money and how to get it, you'll likely end up saving your money and think about new ways of making it. However this could be to the detriment of other relationships and aspects to your life etc. There's no way to achieve everything.

When you take this too far I'm afraid it's just plain BS. Self help guru's are always pushing the law of attraction and the like. In Rhond Byrne's "The secret" she literally claims it is the be all and end all. Don't have chemotherapy, just think positively.WTF?!
There's nothing wrong with self help material as it's generally positive in nature, as long as people realise if it smells like BS, then it probably is.
StormXibalba
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Absolutely 100% I have read the secret and afterwards I manifested so many things in my life just by thinking about them.
Anglerfish
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Post hoc ergo propter hoc. :facepalm:
wanderlust.xx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Wesker115)
I believe to a certain extent people who think and act positively will attract those kind of people into their lives and are liable to look for the good in every situation. You tend to get what you focus on in life, if you focus on money and how to get it, you'll likely end up saving your money and think about new ways of making it. However this could be to the detriment of other relationships and aspects to your life etc. There's no way to achieve everything.

When you take this too far I'm afraid it's just plain BS. Self help guru's are always pushing the law of attraction and the like. In Rhond Byrne's "The secret" she literally claims it is the be all and end all. Don't have chemotherapy, just think positively.WTF?!
There's nothing wrong with self help material as it's generally positive in nature, as long as people realise if it smells like BS, then it probably is.
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but, have you actually tried it? I mean, it seems to me like you're just not open to the idea that this might actually work.

(Original post by Anglerfish)
What if, it does indeed work that way? Event 1 follows Event 2, therefore Event 1 is caused by Event 2? I mean there may in fact be a very obscure link between the first and second event, that you can't possibly see.
Wesker115
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by wanderlust.xx)
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but, have you actually tried it? I mean, it seems to me like you're just not open to the idea that this might actually work.

What if, it does indeed work that way? Event 1 follows Event 2, therefore Event 1 is caused by Event 2? I mean there may in fact be a very obscure link between the first and second event, that you can't possibly see.
Have I tried surviving cancer without chemotherapy, just using positive thoughts? No. Who knows, it may work for some but any advice that asks you to go against proven medical treatment isn't good advice for me.
To a certain extent I believe in the law of attraction, but blind faith never got anyone anywhere.
schoolstudent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Delicious Wot?!
Simone_
Report 8 years ago
My entire family are obsessed by the Law of attraction. :rolleyes:
The reason why I refuse to believe it is because it has been adopted by many scams such as pyramid selling and get rich quick schemes , claiming failure to succeed in these scams is simply because they do not "believe" enough or have not "sent positive thoughts to the universe". :rolleyes:

My opinion?

You want something in life = focus and hard graft.

Not wishful thinking.

Having said that though.. I am all for being a positive person. No harm has ever come from being positive. Just the law of attraction basically claims that thoughts can manifest physical "happenings" without actions. I just can't buy that.
Charliee :)
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
To a certain extent. If it was completely true dont you think a load of desperate virgins would constantly think about getting laid so it would happen?
Aphotic Cosmos
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't believe that it's anything other than coincidence, it's more likely that I am simply more likely to notice details that I think about when they pop up in real life later than I am to notice details that I haven't previously thought about recently.

However, to an extent it's true. Like I remember talking about Colditz castle for some reason way back when at my nan's house, and then about 5 minutes later a trailer for a documentary about Colditz popped up, and I was like "holy ****!". It's been happening more and more recently, although I can't name many specific examples since I don't think it ever got out of my short term memory into longer term storage. Things like thinking about certain actors, then pretty much randomly buying or seeing films that have got those actors in - like Robert Downey Jr. I watched Iron Man 2, and then I bought Tropic Thunder and A Scanner Darkly on iTunes without knowing he was in either . . . it's just coincidence, but it feels very weird.
Preeka
Rep:
?
(Original post by StormXibalba)
Absolutely 100% I have read the secret and afterwards I manifested so many things in my life just by thinking about them.
Just curious: what kind of things were these?
Preeka
Rep:
?
(Original post by Charliee :))
To a certain extent. If it was completely true dont you think a load of desperate virgins would constantly think about getting laid so it would happen?
maybe it's more that these "desperate virgins" focus on it NOT happening rather than it happening therefore make it true - sort of like "self fulfilling prophecy".. seeing as they're desperate, they're more likely to put themselves down and think it won't happen rather than the optimistic view. Just a thought.
Charliee :)
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Preeka)
maybe it's more that these "desperate virgins" focus on it NOT happening rather than it happening therefore make it true - sort of like "self fulfilling prophecy".. seeing as they're desperate, they're more likely to put themselves down and think it won't happen rather than the optimistic view. Just a thought.
Fair point, I didnt think of it like that.
Sir_Vile_Minds
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So if I think I want an orange juice right now it'll happen tomorrow?

Nah. It won't. Sorry new age peoples.
wanderlust.xx
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Sir_Vile_Minds)
So if I think I want an orange juice right now it'll happen tomorrow?

Nah. It won't. Sorry new age peoples.
No, more like if you believe you'll have a glass of orange juice, and you know that you'll get it through your faith, then you'll get it because the universe will guide you to it.

You don't just sit and imagine things into existence.
TKC
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by wanderlust.xx)
the universe will guide you to it.
Tesco's is only down the road, the universe isn't that impressive after all.
concubine
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Anglerfish)

I wasn't gonna go all pretentious and Latin but... This. :awesome:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (22)
42.31%
Pro-humanity (30)
57.69%

Watched Threads