The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Profesh
Profanity is the symptom, not the cause.

Yeah but when you have a cold, do you not use nasal spray to treat a symptom?
Reply 101
I do; albeit in the knowledge that my cold will in the fulness of time cease to be. Moreover I am not wont to impose my 'nasal spray' upon others' perceived 'afflictions', and certainly remain under no delusion that the cold may have run its course simply because the ostensible symptoms have been effectively suppressed; whereas others seem given to tout 'profanity' as a social ill in itself: as though unblocking the nose will cure the cold. Utter fallacy.
Reply 102
This isn't good, I have something about the civil War on TV, full of this type of language, and now here. argh.
Anyway, I don't think swearwords should be allowed in schools because they are a sign of lack of intelligence and communicative skills. They are usually used to replace words (usually adjectives) when the user does not know them. For example, instead of saying, 'this is a most heinous action', our little yob would say 'this is a f'ed-up thing to do, innit'. I don't care what these people do on their own, but isn't it the school's job to teach them to communicate better?
Reply 103
TheVlad
I don't care what these people do on their own, but isn't it the school's job to teach them to communicate better?

YES!

*Agrees most heartily*
Reply 104
TheVlad
They are usually used to replace words (usually adjectives) when the user does not know them. For example, instead of saying, 'this is a most heinous action', our little yob would say 'this is a f'ed-up thing to do, innit'. I don't care what these people do on their own, but isn't it the school's job to teach them to communicate better?

A more viable argument: inasmuch as it is the school's duty to educate, the tendency to recycle vocabulary should be nipped in the bud. However, we must also be wary of this being employed as a pretext to excuse unethical treatment of those who substitute 'taboo' words where otherwise they would utilise a similarly mundane placeholder: the boy who labels a diagram on a blackboard 'the sh*t' as opposed to 'great'; the girl who calls everything 'crap' as opposed to 'rubbish'. In principle, and whilst you are in part correct, no such draconian remedy could conceivably be prescribed for a student held to account for what might be deemed flagrant abuse of the word 'nice'; we can only conclude, therefore, that this is the school's knee-jerk dogmatic response to social stigma which should've been outmoded long ago, albeit masqueraded as 'education'. It is, at the very least, wrong to equivocate 'sh*t' in its capacity as a derogatory term with 'sh*t' in the sense of something being 'gratifying'; after all: whilst one may discipline a child for calling their fellow pupil a 'vagina', one wouldn't do so given an appropriate, biological context; so why the double-standard?

Enforcing substitution of the word 'bad' for 'sh*t' wouldn't 'improve' communication so much as it would serve to make communication more palatable. What children need to know is that there are synonyms for 'sh*t' inasmuch as there are synonyms for 'nice' and that, sometimes, moribund vernacular - whether profane or otherwise - is not an ideal model for expression.
Reply 105
Show off
I propose caning!
Reply 106
Profesh
after all: whilst one may discipline a child for calling their fellow pupil a 'vagina', one wouldn't do so given an appropriate, biological context; so why the double-standard?

I would mind being called a vagina as opposed to it being said that I HAVE a vagina. You call it double standard but you've already outlined the fact that it wouldn't be offensive if used in context.
Reply 107
Kura1984
I would mind being called a vagina as opposed to it being said that I HAVE a vagina. You call it double standard but you've already outlined the fact that it wouldn't be offensive if used in context.

The double-standard with swear words; silly. :rolleyes:
Reply 108
Shaun O'Keefe
Same here. There is a lot of swearing in my school, a lot of it done by me. :redface: And not much is done about it apart from a slap on the wrists.

i know that this post was a while back, but do they really slap you on the wrist or am i taking that too litterally? haha. that's TOTALLY illigal here, and i thought it'd be there also... :/

swearing is allowed at my school. teachers do it too. the teachers are all really young and some are actually...cool... :rolleyes: but yea, teachers swear in lessons to get the point accross, we're allowed to swear to get our point accross in class. outside of class, like on campus we're allowed to do what we want, it's considered a public building so there aren't any real rules or anyone to enforce stuff. the only thing that we have is no smoking inside. for obvious reasons. i've seen kids walk around the campus nude many a time before haha. there's the senior auction where the 12th graders strip down and auction themselves off for a date and the money goes to their prom. haha. it's fun. lots of other stuff to like that. i could go on...but...i'll spare you.
how the fck, they can even fking imagine tha an average student can't fking say the f word

Latest

Trending

Trending