Reason and experience- Kant on causality (the house and the ship) Watch

lookinglass
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Need a basic explanation of Kant's argument for causality involving the examples of the house and the sailing ship.
Help Much appreciated!
More specifically, I'm not really that sure how temporal order is linked to causality- I just can't seem to understand them with regards to each other. :confused:
Thanks.
jennyrenhaigh
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ok basically for this the "temporal order" point REALLY confused me so my teacher (who is an Oxford philosophy PhD and a senior examiner...) told me to just miss that out - instead, understand the MAIN point that Kant makes, which is that in order to understand how the ship moving down the river is the object changing but the room changing as we look around it is just our perception changing, we need to have the concept (or "catagory") of causality. Causality is what makes those two experiences understandable and INTELLIGIBLE. That's basically Kant's theory, that there are 12 "catagories" that we bring to experience that transforms the noumenon (the unintelligible sense experience that a purely empirical being would see) into the phenomenon (understood and catagorised experience as we see it, after it has gone through the "net" of our conceptual schemes i.e unity, causality, etc.....)

Another way I remember it is with the example of a rugby match - when we see a rugby match, we don't just see a load of random erratic movement and flying colours and sounds and "confused buzz" - because we have the catagory of unity we are able to understand this experience of the rugby match and make it intelligible.

Ignore temporal order. You don't need to quote that, just demonstrate understanding of causality needed to understand experience and to differenciate pespective changing (room) from object changing (house) and you'll be fine.

Helped?
jennyrenhaigh
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Also remember this quote - "thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind" - from Kant
Tam_91
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
He sure is one tight Kant.
jennyrenhaigh
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Tam_91)
He sure is one tight Kant.
the *****.
lookinglass
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Ah fair enough, got the general categories sorted so should be ok. Thanks for the advice (and the quote, will memorise that one)!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (952)
80%
Leave (238)
20%

Watched Threads