Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if i already asked this question but i was looking through my threads and it said i had not posted any so i guess this one didn't publish last time..

Anyway

Basically i have my heart set on going to bournemouth to do animation but im really worried about my portfolio. What do they like to see in a portfolio? I hear they like life drawings...so does that just include people? Or animals and objects?

Also can anyone give me any info on the logic and maths test you need to pass? I got a B at GCSE maths and well...logic?

And do any of you think doing a foundation art diploma would be beneficial before applying for an animation course?

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I did the interview for 2010 in March. The Logic test is pretty straight forward, you wont need to prepare for that.

The maths test is more a test of your knowledge on trigonometry(sp?) and things like equations for curves and lines. So make sure you know about this type of thing, sin cos tan and all that. Make sure you also know about the sin/cos/tan waves. So for example sin90 = 1, cos90 = 0.

However they look past a weak maths score if you have a brilliant port-folio. Just make sure you appear strong in at least one area and your chances should be good. I had life drawing (they are big on this) and previous 3D work in my port folio as well as a simple animation.

Are you applying for 2010 or 2011 =]? Message me if you have any questions though!

ReputationRep:
    The maths test is nothing that you can't revise for. As theragetrain says, just look up the values of sin, cos, tan. There's a lot of questions about that. A bit of basic arithmetic as well. I felt like I struggled on the logic but it turns out I got a good score. Oh and another tip... always remember to turn over the last page... didn't realise there was anything on the back until the last 5 minutes... doh!

Is anybody else going this september?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i'm in my final year of studying the computer visualisation and animation course at Bournemouth, although the course has changed slightly since i started so it may differ, i'm pretty sure the entrance tests have stayed practically the same.
    As others have said the maths test is basic knowledge, you may want to just have a look over some trigonometry stuff, in my test it asked us to draw the graphs of sin, cos and tan...but then most of the other questions are simple calculations like fractions and percentages.
    The logic test can't really be revised for, but is pretty straight forward. You'll get given a short paragraph and then have to say which sentences are true and stuff like that...well that's what we had
    Then the life drawing test involves drawing very quick poses of someone say walking around the room, you may have as little as ten seconds to capture the exact pose. So although it may be nice to have some very detailed life drawings in your portfolio it might be worthwhile to practice drawing people moving around, you could just sit on a park bench and time yourself, give yourself no more than thirty seconds and try to capture the exact pose or movement of people around you.
    As far as my portfolio is concerned i only had one life drawing and then lots of conceptual and abstract stuff in my portfolio and they really liked it. I think they want to see that you are creative.
    I would say that doing an art foundation would only be beneficial if you are unsure whether you want to do the course or not. The course is quite technical and if you are quite creative that will be enough, i don't think the skills you would learnt doing an art foundation would be that useful for this course, but may be for other animation courses which are more traditional, this one is very focussed on the "Computer" animation side of things.
    There is a whole thread on animation courses in general but as you know there aren't many courses so it's pretty much a bournemouth thread, lots of info on the application process and things
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=301364
    Hope that helps, any other questions just ask

ReputationRep:
    You really dont need to be so worried. Im in my 1st year atm, and the maths test is just above slightly GCSEs maybe even GCSE level. But make sure you revise at least a little.

The logic test is like a bunch of little stories which you have to interpret what is happening and who did what. Also not too bad.

Yeah the ideal is to have human life drawings but objects and animals are good too. Usually having a foundation makes you more rounded to get into any art related course however i got in with a triple distinction in my B-tech national in Art and Design. So you might be fine.

Good luck! And i hope to see you next year! xxx

ReputationRep:
    Agatha is the best! i got into the course by failing maths bascially but im an arty student i got 38% in my exam lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhavik25)
    Agatha is the best! i got into the course by failing maths bascially but im an arty student i got 38% in my exam lol
    I'm a very arty student also and my math's is VERY rusty since i haven't done it for 2 years so this kinda makes me feel better :')

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 13 Feb '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 9 Mar '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 13 Mar '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.