TSR has become a shambles... Watch

RamocitoMorales
Badges: 21
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
A thread seems to pop up at least once every half an hour promoting abuse towards Islam. Not just in the Theology section, but also in General Discussion. I'd estimate that at least 10% of posts made within the last few months are insulting Islam.

The moderators have no control. I don't even bother reporting these posts as most of the time nothing is done. If I'm lucky, they get a 2 point warning. But what's the point if the warning only lasts a week and they can carry on with this Islamophobic nonsense.

I personally, wouldn't have a problem with these drawing of Muhammad being allowed on TSR, if I was also allowed to retaliate by exercising my own right to freedom of speech. But this seems not possible as the moderators seem to have double standards. An avatar of the Swastika is not allowed. An avatar of Muhammad with a bomb in his head is allowed. Something doesn't seem right.

Anyway, sort out the mess mods. This site goes to further prove that England is one of the most racist countries in the world. Particularly when racism is commonplace among the educated student population.
YL_LDN
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Racism/Islamophobia happens, there's nothing you can really do about it.
RamocitoMorales
(Original post by YL_LDN)
Racism/Islamophobia happens, there's nothing you can really do about it.
Personally, that would be fine by me. I would be more than happy to express my racist thoughts, but the trouble is that the moderators don't let me. Whereas they can't/don't control abuse towards Islam.
Deshi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just ignore the threads?

TSR does seem to have a lot of hate these days but if you just avoid the threads (like I have started doing), it should be alright.
RamocitoMorales
(Original post by Deshi)
Just ignore the threads?
I wish I could, I really do. But I just can't and I'm so easy to provoke.

If we use your argument, then the moderators should ignore my racist abuse. But, they don't...
Kevmeister
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The mods are not all-seeing, omnipotent beings.

Good to see you're still *****ing about your warnings, Ramo. I know that that's all you created this thread for, really. Pathetic.
DJkG.1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There is a bit of an endemic at the moment.

I suggested the mods make a rule confining ALL Islam-related threads to one section, so the board is not clogged up.

But meh... I'm getting bored of this place anyway.
RamocitoMorales
(Original post by DJkG.1)
I suggested the mods make a rule confining ALL Islam-related threads to one section, so the board is not clogged up.
Yes, some sort of Islam megathread. :top:
moregano
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Threads which genuinely promote Islamophobia are always binned or closed in my experience. Report them and they'll be dealt with.

I agree that there are a lot of threads on the subject of Islam and Islamophobia, but the vast majority of these are simply discussions on the topics at hand, not promotion of hatred.
feelingsupersonic
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why have a swastika as your avatar?
DJkG.1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by RamocitoMorales)
That would be insanely intense. :eek:

It would reach the 10,000 post limit per thread every 5 minutes on TSR lol. :rolleyes:
Magnum Opus
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
There's a distinct difference between racism/Islamophobia and people expressing their opinion though. I take the racism/Islamophobia on a very serious basis, dealing with it severely, and unless there's something I've missed, Theology is lacking in any abuse directed towards Muslims - if anything, there's quite a thriving Islamic community in there, taking up the biggest proportion of threads and posts. I understand your point about freedom of speech, and it is very problematic finding where the line is, but if something is abusive then that's clearly out. Yet somethings are there simply to convey a message, idea, or point, which is not abusive but can be considered offensive towards religious groups - these are expressions of freedom of speech though, they're not hurting anybody (ie. they're not hate threads) and are raising contemporary issues around specific topics. It's a sensitive topic, I know, but if you're assuming the attitude of 'I won't bother reporting' then you're not helping it? (when I say you, I'm not on about you personally, just as a collective ).

(Original post by DJkG.1)
There is a bit of an endemic at the moment.

But meh... I'm getting bored of this place anyway.
If you want to discuss Islam or any other religion related topic, then there's already a forum here (as you know). Report them and they will be moved to the pertinent areas

but yes, there is a distinct 'endemic' about Islam, but then what do you expect? I dare you to look at the news or current affairs and not see the 'endemic' there too. Anyway, that's just me speaking for Theology, a quick glance in GD and I can see your point quite clearly and I agree.. I suggest you (whoever) reports the threads so they can be dealt with or discussed. If you're not satisfied, then you can always raise the issue in direct dialogue with the Ask A Moderator area. I would sincerely encourage you to report them though firstly
Magnum Opus
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't think that would be a good idea at all, it would be:
a) impossible to moderate due to the speed of posting
b) only attract spam posters who will contribute nothing more than the very Islamophobia we're concerned about
c) limit any kind of discussion on Islam at all

If you have ideas though, seriously, share, we'd love to hear
RamocitoMorales
I guess that means I can keep my Swastika avatar.

Yet somethings are there simply to convey a message, idea, or point, which is not abusive but can be considered offensive towards religious groups - these are expressions of freedom of speech though, they're not hurting anybody
It's a message, an idea, a point, but it can be considered offensive towards religious groups (Jews). It's an expression of freedom of speech, and I'm not hurting anybody.

Tah.

(Original post by Magnus Opum)
I don't think that would be a good idea at all, it would be:
a) impossible to moderate due to the speed of posting
Well at least it would be confined to one thread. It's not as if you're managing to moderate things as they are anyway. Plus, if it's just in one thread, I can ignore it quite easily.

(Original post by Magnus Opum)
c) limit any kind of discussion on Islam at all
There's no discussion about Islam anyway. It's just the same old crap about "Islam is a vile religion", "Islam is a primitive religion followed by primitive individuals", blah blah blah...
Fated
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Whilst I would fully agree that a large proportion of Islamaphobic posts here on TSR and comments in real life are founded in ignorance, there remains a legitimate case for criticising many of Islam's more dogmatic practices, from a Western perspective at least.
moregano
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
GD is actually full of them today. Normally it's not this bad, I guess it's related to the whole Facebook situation etc.
RamocitoMorales
(Original post by fox_the_fix)
I think they follow a disgusting, vile and disturbing religion. But I don't hate them for it, nor am I hostile towards them. However if they try to influence me, then I shall have a problem with them, and then jaws get broken.
(Original post by HDS)
I hate islam and what it stands for.
(Original post by feelingsupersonic)
Why draw muhammad when their already a dancing muhammad smiley on TSR

(Original post by alive mau5)
Just a quick search, and once again I bump into countless insults and provocations. Moderators, sort it out. :facepalm2:
River85
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A thread seems to pop up at least once every half an hour promoting abuse towards Islam. Not just in the Theology section, but also in General Discussion. I'd estimate that at least 10% of posts made within the last few months are insulting Islam.

The moderators have no control. I don't even bother reporting these posts as most of the time nothing is done. If I'm lucky, they get a 2 point warning. But what's the point if the warning only lasts a week and they can carry on with this Islamophobic nonsense.

I personally, wouldn't have a problem with these drawing of Muhammad being allowed on TSR, if I was also allowed to retaliate by exercising my own right to freedom of speech. But this seems not possible as the moderators seem to have double standards. An avatar of the Swastika is not allowed. An avatar of Muhammad with a bomb in his head is allowed. Something doesn't seem right.

Anyway, sort out the mess mods. This site goes to further prove that England is one of the most racist countries in the world. Particularly when racism is commonplace among the educated student population.
Moderators take racism very seriously. It doesn't matter who the target is. There's no blind eye towards Islamophobia.

However, at the same time freedom of speech needs to be respected and even encouraged (within certain limits) If you think someone is being offensive then report it. You know the score Ramo.

* I almost referred to myself as being part of the moderation team! It won't be the last time....
moregano
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Bloody hell moderators, how did you let that one slip?
Report it then. It's not possible for the mods to watch every single thread; if you see stuff like this then report it and it'll be sorted.
The G Doctor
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
TSR are removing threads in the GD forum that question why there are so many anti muslim threads there. that tells you their agenda
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (52)
98.11%
No (1)
1.89%

Watched Threads