Universities for history Watch

stickmanbob
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Which, i your personal opinion, do you think is the best place to study history (V100) at and why?
I'm trying to narrow down my potential uni list for places to visit over the summer

Thanks
affinity89
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It depends on your historical interests. Universities offer a range of topics depending on the research interests of their staff; subsequently, there is no guarantee that a university will offer the areas of study you want. I would definitely recommend looking at the courses on offer as a good way of narrowing down universities.

The "best" generally meaning the highest in the league tables would be places like Oxbridge, Warwick, Durham etc.
The1truebelieber
Report 8 years ago
Cambridge.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oxford
Cambridge
Durham
Warwick
York.

Coz.
puzzlebox
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Okay generic advice - check both what is taught and how it's taught. Going to York as a taught postgrad I was surprised at how little historiography the York grads had done during there undergrad in huge contrast to my first uni - Keele. Each course has a different emphasis - some on facts, some on theories and critical thinking, some in field and research skills, other a mix of these elements. It's not a simple case of making a list based on the league tables.
QI Elf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by puzzlebox)
Okay generic advice - check both what is taught and how it's taught. Going to York as a taught postgrad I was surprised at how little historiography the York grads had done during there undergrad in huge contrast to my first uni - Keele. Each course has a different emphasis - some on facts, some on theories and critical thinking, some in field and research skills, other a mix of these elements. It's not a simple case of making a list based on the league tables.

Sorry to distract from the main question posed by the OP, but out of interest how did you find York as a postgrad? I'm just coming to the end of my 2nd year doing a BA in history at Leicester and have been looking for MA places, with York being a possibility.
puzzlebox
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by QI Elf)
Sorry to distract from the main question posed by the OP, but out of interest how did you find York as a postgrad? I'm just coming to the end of my 2nd year doing a BA in history at Leicester and have been looking for MA places, with York being a possibility.
I'll send you a private message about York in general if you could let me know which History MA you're looking at.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1439)
79.72%
Leave (366)
20.28%

Watched Threads