Can I get my 'pass in an AS level' in the 2nd year? Watch

JemSevenV
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I am hoping to get A grades in three of my AS subjects, but I am not so confident about French, which I think I will most likely get a D or maybe even an E if I get very unlucky.
I have spotted that many Univerisities ask for their required A2 grades as well as a pass in an AS Level ie. a C grade or above.

I am dropping French and picking up AS Philosophy (the subject I want to do at Uni). Will a pass in AS Philosophy during the 2nd year stand in for the pass I am most likely not going to get this year?

I understand that I will be at a disadvatnage to others who did get their pass in the first year, but I'm just worried that it won't suffice at all!
Roobagnall
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
an E in french would be a pass at A level.
But why didn't you do philosophy from the beginning?
abbii
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
itll be fine, youll still have an AS by the time you start which is what they want,
plus youll probably get more credit for doing an AS in the second year than taking two years over french
JemSevenV
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Roobagnall)
an E in french would be a pass at A level.
But why didn't you do philosophy from the beginning?
I didn't know I wanted to do Philosophy at the beginning of the year
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The other problem you'll have is that you only have an AS in philosophy when others will have a full A Level. Some people won't because their college didn't offer it, but presumably yours did as you can do the AS. So both of those problems together may affect your application
Taste of Honey
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't think the universities pay that much attention to your dropped AS grade, tbh. I wouldn't worry about it. Though if you do want to take up an extra AS in your second year it looks really great on UCAS - I took up French AS this year as extra.

Bear in mind, however, that AS grades come a week or so after A-Level grades - so the university and you won't know whether you've 'passed' your extra AS when you get your A-Level results, and officially accept your place.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Taste of Honey)
Bear in mind, however, that AS grades come a week or so after A-Level grades - so the university and you won't know whether you've 'passed' your extra AS when you get your A-Level results, and officially accept your place.
:lies:

GCSE results are a week later, but AS results are the same day.
Taste of Honey
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
:lies:

GCSE results are a week later, but AS results are the same day.
Hey, you're right. I didn't read my college's calender properly, lol. :p: Better that I found out now rather than missed collecting my AS results though, eh?! Hehe.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?