Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, Just wanted to know how your getting on with being dyslexia and doing a psychology degree?

Is it hard being dyslexic and doing a degree especially in psychology of all degrees?

Can someone dyslexic pass a psychology degree?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Of course they can. They just have to be open to jokes about how ironic it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Discudvayne)
    I was asking students with Dyslexic who are or thinking about doing psychology. Are you in that category? if not then please don't comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yas01)
    I was asking students with Dyslexic who are or thinking about doing psychology. Are you in that category? if not then please don't comment.
    By the look of it you're lucky I even commented at all. And that was unnecessarily mean.

ReputationRep:
    By the look of it you're lucky I even commented at all. And that was unnecessarily mean.
    Lucky how? you didn't even answer the post. :confused:

Just do us bother a favour and don't comment at all.

ReputationRep:
    Why should a psychology degree be any more taxing for a dyslexic student than any other arts/social science degree?

ReputationRep:
    My sister has dyslexia and has just finished a phD in it - she says it wasn't any harder than anything else would have been, but it depends on the severity of your dyslexia.

EDIT: finished a phD in psychology that is, not dyslexia ..:p:

ReputationRep:
    How is a dyslexic student studying Psychology ironic? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rananagirl)
    My sister has dyslexia and has just finished a phD in it - she says it wasn't any harder than anything else would have been, but it depends on the severity of your dyslexia.

EDIT: finished a phD in psychology that is, not dyslexia ..:p:
    :mmm:

I can't help but feel this is a very stupid thread.

Dyslexia has something to do with psychology, therefore one must not be able to do psychology if they have dyslexia. But if they took a degree in Medicine/English/Music etc. they'd be fine.

OP, are you really being serious?

Idiocy, laziness and un-intelligence is what makes someone unable. Not dyslexia.

For the record, I have dyspraxia and the Educational Psychologist who diagnosed me was dyslexic.

ReputationRep:
    I know many dyslexic people who have got degrees in many different subjects. Don't worry OP, your academic ability has got you as far as degree level, so there isn't anything to suggest you will fail a degree in Psychology just because you have dyslexia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    aliluvschoc summed it up. The condition is to do with psychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    :mmm:

I can't help but feel this is a very stupid thread.

Dyslexia has something to do with psychology, therefore one must not be able to do psychology if they have dyslexia. But if they took a degree in Medicine/English/Music etc. they'd be fine.

OP, are you really being serious?

Idiocy, laziness and un-intelligence is what makes someone unable. Not dyslexia.

For the record, I have dyspraxia and the Educational Psychologist who diagnosed me was dyslexic.

Thanks for being so rude, God bless you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linkdapink)
    I know many dyslexic people who have got degrees in many different subjects. Don't worry OP, your academic ability has got you as far as degree level, so there isn't anything to suggest you will fail a degree in Psychology just because you have dyslexia.
    Thank you, Best response yet. more rep!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yas01)
    Hiya, Just wanted to know how your getting on with being dyslexia and doing a psychology degree?

Is it hard being dyslexic and doing a degree especially in psychology of all degrees?

Can someone dyslexic pass a psychology degree?

Thanks
    Dyslexia is a broad term that can effect people in many many different ways.
    Psychology is a degree like many others, and dyslexia will effect how you learn anything, it is by no means an exception.
    Your university will give you SOME help with your studies if you are dyslexic.
    Here are some corrections to your post:

*I just wanted to know.
    *how you're...
    *being dyslexic
    *degree.

I'm a philosophy student.
    And I won't tell you if I'm dyslexic or not because you were an ******* in your second post in this thread. Stop being a hostile **** if you want help and apologise to the person you were being a **** to (I've not read past there, I don't spend too much time replying to rude dimwits, be please I replied at all).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    It's ironic if you don't understand what irony is .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)

Edit: just read the rest of your post properly...
    ...I'm just agreeing with you aren't I. In which case OP pay attention to this:

Dyslexia affects(effects?) the way we categorise information in some way. That can lead to social awkwardness, that can lead to poor spelling and grammar, and general ability to cope with breaking words done into separate phonemes/working out their spelling (words not always being spelt phonetically is of course an absolute blessing for many dyslexics :awesome:). Maths can as a result also be a particular common difficulty. Interestingly dyslexics at my school were often told that they were more likely to have an active imagination (I personally think that has more to do with the power of suggestion if it is true).
    To say it's specifically about psychology is ridiculous, it is apart of any dyslexics existence and a factor in many things. It's abstract to try to pin it down to a single topic, whatever you do, dyslexia will have an effect. If you weren't dyslexic you wouldn't be you. You can't just take away the personal identity issues in this and say "it just effects this" "it just effects that".

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.