Offer Deadlines-Should I ask the Convener directly? Watch

baileyd
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I have been waiting on my first choice for several weeks, and having contacted both admissions and the department, they were not able to give me a definitive time for when decisions would be made. Unfortunately, I have two offers which have expiries in the next 7-10 days. Would it be improper to contact the Convener directly (I have exchanged emails with them several times before regarding questions about the program) and explain my situation and ask for an indication about the potential success of my application?
evantej
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by baileyd)
I have been waiting on my first choice for several weeks, and having contacted both admissions and the department, they were not able to give me a definitive time for when decisions would be made. Unfortunately, I have two offers which have expiries in the next 7-10 days. Would it be improper to contact the Convener directly (I have exchanged emails with them several times before regarding questions about the program) and explain my situation and ask for an indication about the potential success of my application?
The obvious problem is that the actual admission process is not decided solely by the relevant academics; that is, either before or after your application is dealt with by the academics it will have been/have to be confirmed by admissions themselves. Contacting the convener might have no effect whatsoever if the admission decision is not even in his hands any more. Nevertheless, it cannot do any harm so I would contact him/them; I know from personal experience this admission cycle that chasing up your application can have very fast results, especially if a mistake has been made.
Rosslyn
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by baileyd)
You need to find out who exactly is in charge of your application at this stage. If the department, ie the course director, have already made you an offer and it still has to go through official channels ie admission office before it can be sent to you, then contacting them will give you a piece of mind knowing you have got the offer.

On the other hand, if your other offers don't require you to pay deposits, just accept them. There's no harm in doing so.
baileyd
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I would have to give a deposit, otherwise I would have accepted at least one while I was deciding. I've exchanged messages with the convener several times over the past weeks, but we had not discussed the application itself other than to confirm it was received by the department. They seemed quite positive, although I suppose I might be reading too much into "email tone". I was hesitant to ask them directly since I assumed if a decision had been made, they would have mentioned it. Alternatively, I spoke with the departmental coordinator who said that they would send out an informal email indicating the result of the decision prior to anything going in the post.

So, I guess this is my question-is there a tactful and accepted way to expedite the decision process? I would accept their offer if they made it, but if I'm going to have to wait weeks more, I think I would have to choose from one of my other offers since I'm an international student and would need to start moving on my paperwork and living arrangements
baileyd
Bumping this-hope some people have ideas on my new question
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.09%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.38%
No I don't (547)
48.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise