I have been waiting on my first choice for several weeks, and having contacted both admissions and the department, they were not able to give me a definitive time for when decisions would be made. Unfortunately, I have two offers which have expiries in the next 7-10 days. Would it be improper to contact the Convener directly (I have exchanged emails with them several times before regarding questions about the program) and explain my situation and ask for an indication about the potential success of my application?
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I would have to give a deposit, otherwise I would have accepted at least one while I was deciding. I've exchanged messages with the convener several times over the past weeks, but we had not discussed the application itself other than to confirm it was received by the department. They seemed quite positive, although I suppose I might be reading too much into "email tone". I was hesitant to ask them directly since I assumed if a decision had been made, they would have mentioned it. Alternatively, I spoke with the departmental coordinator who said that they would send out an informal email indicating the result of the decision prior to anything going in the post.
So, I guess this is my question-is there a tactful and accepted way to expedite the decision process? I would accept their offer if they made it, but if I'm going to have to wait weeks more, I think I would have to choose from one of my other offers since I'm an international student and would need to start moving on my paperwork and living arrangements
Bumping this-hope some people have ideas on my new question