Turn on thread page Beta

AS LEVEL - AQA English Lit B Revision - FORM!? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give me any notes on form for Enduring Love, Rime of the Ancient Mariner or Rossetti's poetry. But more importantly notes on form related to THE GREAT GATSBY and show how it aids the telling of the story.

I would really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    i do ancient mariner and gatsby. for the rime its just how its a lyrical ballad and so all the effects of that on the poem. gatsby is about nick's narration and the effect of his bias - is gatsby really 'great' etc.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure narration bias is form? I thought it was narrative viewpoints.

ReputationRep:
    yes it is, but wouldn't that be categorised as form on AO2

ReputationRep:
    That's what I thought, but I asked my teacher and apparently this is not so. Plus, if you look at the AQA past paper mark schemes it talks about points of view in separation to form. I said this to my teacher and she said they apparently overlap in some areas but not others. For example, the fact a novel allows Fitzgerald to accomodate first person retrospect undermines the whole concept of a story or novel, insinuating they all feature elements of bias - this demonstrates understanding of both form and narrative viewpoints. However, to say that writing the story in first person allows the reader to associate with Nick more would just be narrative viewpoints and not form. You see?

ReputationRep:
    Form can also be a sub-genre i.e. a 'mystery' novel or an 'adventure' story. You could argue that quite a few first person books such as Great Expectations are Bildungsroman in that they show the character's moral development. Here, the first person narrative is integral to the form of the Bildrungsroman novel - and that bias is a feature of that form, in that they view things in an askewed way in the beginning and then gradually learn (through experience) to see things clearly and with more clarity and possibly less bias.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, sorry to but in and ask a 'noob' question, but I'm doing this course, just a couple of different texts, but I haven't come across the term "form", could someone explain it please?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 21, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.