Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is everyone confident? What were prelim results like.

I got 85% in my prelim and am fairly confident.

ReputationRep:
    I got 78% in the prelim, although our teacher admitted our prelim was really hard and some of the questions were vague. I can get 95-100% in most past papers now, so hopefully I get a band 1.

ReputationRep:
    71% in the first prelim and 79% in the second prelim. I have been revising so much so I hope I get an A.

Are both of you doing Units 1,2,3? I am!

Good Luck guys! :woo: I'm looking foward to dicussing the answers with you all. Remember to take your papers!

ReputationRep:
    39% in the prelim.

Bask in it. I know you're jealous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProudScottish)
    71% in the first prelim and 79% in the second prelim. I have been revising so much so I hope I get an A.

Are both of you doing Units 1,2,3? I am!

Good Luck guys! :woo: I'm looking foward to dicussing the answers with you all. Remember to take your papers!
    Yeah I'm doing units 1, 2 and 3. I'm not going to take the paper out but I usually remember the majority of the questions and the answers I give for these types of exams.

Good luck to everyone! I might be on here tomorrow to discuss the answers if I get a chance, if not, I'll be on on Saturday. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the paper that they could scan and upload? would be very much appreciated

hope you all did okay!

ReputationRep:
    I am wiling to type up but the scanner is broke!
    Paper 1 was very very simple, paper 2 is a little tricky but I think I did well!

All in all I think I am looking to get an A!

ReputationRep:
    I would *really* appreciate having a look at paper 2
    However it was mega long so it'll probably take quite a while to type up, and I wouldn't be able to see the diagrams etc

Thank you so much for the offer anyway

ReputationRep:
    Paper 1 was fairly easy. I thought the sphere question was odd.
    Paper 2 was very easy.

I am hoping for around 90%.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone let me know if they can scan and upload?
    Thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    After the warm temperatures today it would only be fair for this years mathematics examination pass mark to be lowered-all levels. Several schools should have been closed today to all students due to the excessive temperatures of classrooms-with the emphasis on those sitting life direction dependant SQA exams. Anyone agree? However, atleast finally we are getting some sun folks-on the positive side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TEX1)
    After the warm temperatures today it would only be fair for this years mathematics examination pass mark to be lowered-all levels. Several schools should have been closed today to all students due to the excessive temperatures of classrooms-with the emphasis on those sitting life direction dependant SQA exams. Anyone agree? However, atleast finally we are getting some sun folks-on the positive side.
    Totally agree with you, I was red in the face LOL when I came out the exam hall. Our school STILL had the heating on and the sun was shining right at us.:confused: :confused: :confused: I really hope this happens but I doubt it very much.

Overall I think this was a very fair paper. I hope that we all do well!

ReputationRep:
    Both papers were extremely hard. Guaranteed fail. :thumbsdown:

ReputationRep:
    I actually found the first one a little challenging, maybe if I would have studied for it that wouldn't have been the case though. I found paper 2 pretty simple though.

ReputationRep:
    Maria has been asked to find the roots of the equation
    x^2+3x+5=0
    She decides to use the quadratic formula

x=\displaystyle\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}

(a) Calculate the value of b^2-4ac

(b) Now explain why Maria cannot find the roots.
    There were two answers to part (b) that were extremely tempting:

1) She's a woman. See this:
    Spoiler:
    Show

2) She can, but they are not real and instead are complex conjugates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DerBoy)
    There were two answers to part (b) that were extremely tempting:

1) She's a woman. See this:
    Spoiler:
    Show

2) She can, but they are not real and instead are complex conjugates.
    Was it because root 11 is a surd?

ReputationRep:
    Umm... here \sqrt{b^2-4ac}=\sqrt{-11} which is not a real number. So there exist no real roots, so Maria can't find them. (But, as mentioned before, she could find the complex roots).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DerBoy)
    Umm... here \sqrt{b^2-4ac}=\sqrt{-11} which is not a real number. So there exist no real roots, so Maria can't find them. (But, as mentioned before, she could find the complex roots).
    :woo: I got the -11 part.

Didn't have a clue for B though.

ReputationRep:
    For quesiton 8 on paper one, we all wrote that the number was negative, i got A wrong though :/ im such a tool :/

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully i got a B. I was sooooooooooooo happy there wasnt much unit 3!

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.