How many of us still believe in marriage? Watch

dave
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by fleur-de-lis)
I very strongly believe in marriage. The secret lies in finding the person who shares your values...
There's no need for me to read the rest of the thread - your comment sums up my attitude to the letter.
CheesyBeans
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I believe in marriage if it's at the right time in a person's life and they have met the right person but I don't think it's vital to get married. I'm thinking the whole Bridget Jone's thing where they worry about being single and think they HAVE to get married.
tarka
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yep I think that marriage is a good thing as long as it isn't rushed into
naelse
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i believe! :love:

for now, at any rate
xx_ambellina_xx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
it's a really nice idea, but sadly today, people don't understand the concept of give and take, and of being nice to one another.
Mrs_F
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by xx_ambellina_xx)
it's a really nice idea, but sadly today, people don't understand the concept of give and take, and of being nice to one another.
Not everyone can be tarred with the same brush though. Some people are nice to one another and can compromise which helps to maintain a happy and healthy relationship.
snuggerough
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
cynics in marriage should read Hardy's 'Jude the obscure' to confrim their views.

Snuggerough is not a cynic however, but is misogamistic. The idea of marriage horrifies snuggerough. However, marriage does help to show that there is no sincerity or veracity in religion. In the beginning marriage was sacred. It's purpose was to act to prevent licentiousness and as an effective means of birth control with no sex before marriage and then no divorce.

Then divorce was legalised with Henry VIII's establishment of the Church of England. Snuggerough believes this shows that religion acts as a means of controlling society through moral persuasion, and the establishment of the church of England shows that religion is really based on power relations.

The point is that as there is no God, marriage has no spirtual meaning, and with legal divorces, marriage has little legal shackles. Marriage is a redundant idea. People fall in and out of love all the time. we should just love and then move on without this fancy notion.
Mrs_F
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by snuggerough)
cynics in marriage should read Hardy's 'Jude the obscure' to confrim their views.

Snuggerough is not a cynic however, but is misogamistic. The idea of marriage horrifies snuggerough. However, marriage does help to show that there is no sincerity or veracity in religion. In the beginning marriage was sacred. It's purpose was to act to prevent licentiousness and as an effective means of birth control with no sex before marriage and then no divorce.

Then divorce was legalised with Henry VIII's establishment of the Church of England. Snuggerough believes this shows that religion acts as a means of controlling society through moral persuasion, and the establishment of the church of England shows that religion is really based on power relations.

The point is that as there is no God, marriage has no spirtual meaning, and with legal divorces, marriage has little legal shackles. Marriage is a redundant idea. People fall in and out of love all the time. we should just love and then move on without this fancy notion.
MAny people do fall in and out of love a lot, but there are also some people who fall in love and stay in love forever (my grandparents are a prime example) and so therefore marriage is perfect for the likes of those people.

Also you have an uncanny resemblence to Dobby the house elf in the way you speak/write, by refering to yourself!
fleur-de-lis
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
He/she reminded me of Smeagol.
mangomaz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by SlyPie)
It's actually 1:2.

And no....marriage means nothing nowadays.

live-in-partner is the way to go, unless your partner needs a green card.
I really dont understand the point of the 'live-in-partner'. Like seriously I dont. Many have been in relationships for years and have children and yet just cant take that one step to sign that piece of paper that will give them all sorts of legal rights because its too much commitment.

Yes marriage is about love and all that mushy stuff, but at the end of it you're also provided with a stable legal framework so you dont have to worry if god forbid one of you passes away or the marriage breaks up and the other person isnt legally entitled to anything.

What is the world coming to when a simple thing like marriage isnt believed in any more?
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
what's the point?

it's a religious ceremony, why would anyone want to dignify those lies with their own relationship?

everyone seems to have the "it just seems like the right thing to do" attitude about it..
Mrs_F
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by mangomaz)
I really dont understand the point of the 'live-in-partner'. Like seriously I dont. Many have been in relationships for years and have children and yet just cant take that one step to sign that piece of paper that will give them all sorts of legal rights because its too much commitment.

Yes marriage is about love and all that mushy stuff, but at the end of it you're also provided with a stable legal framework so you dont have to worry if god forbid one of you passes away or the marriage breaks up and the other person isnt legally entitled to anything.

What is the world coming to when a simple thing like marriage isnt believed in any more?
Exactly if you are living with someone for 50 years why on earth would you not want to marry them? I just don't understand it. Is it the easy way out for some people? There are so many people who do not want to get married and I just can't get my head around it. Ever since I was little I always thought I would get married, my family are quite promarriage rather than having children and living with them, so maybe that has rubbed off on me and that may be my reason for being excited about getting married.
fleur-de-lis
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
That not getting married when when you are 70 with 10 grandchildren maybe either because they don't believe in marriage, or are scared of commitment, or is quite open minded about the status of their relationship (in other words, if a better fish comes along, they might go after it).
Agrippina
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by FlyingIsis)
How many of us still believe in marriage?
Bearing in mind the current divorce rate is now 1:3
I believe in marriage and definitely intend to get married. I can't help thinking that people don't put enough effort into marriage these days - I mean look at these pathetic celebrities who divorce after two weeks or something. Why did they get married in the first place for God's sake?!
fleur-de-lis
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I found the Britney first case to be the perfect example
Cazzi
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i do believe in marriage, but nowdays the common trend is that people tend to get married way before they even know each other propaly.

In our society now, people dont seem to go out on dates as much as they used to, which reduces the amount you learn about each other (eg going to a resturant and having a good chat) most people nowdays just seem to jump into relationships. So as a concenquence, some people do get married and discover they didnt really know or like the person enough to spend the rest of their lifes with them.

I personally, will make sure my marrige (when i do get married!) is worth it, and that i am competly certain the guy im with is the right guy for me. I dont ever want to go through divorce.

(fingers crossed for my current long term bf!!! lol)

dont give up...marriage can work!
mangomaz
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Cazzi_Bear)
i do believe in marriage, but nowdays the common trend is that people tend to get married way before they even know each other propaly.

In our society now, people dont seem to go out on dates as much as they used to, which reduces the amount you learn about each other (eg going to a resturant and having a good chat) most people nowdays just seem to jump into relationships. So as a concenquence, some people do get married and discover they didnt really know or like the person enough to spend the rest of their lifes with them.

I personally, will make sure my marrige (when i do get married!) is worth it, and that i am competly certain the guy im with is the right guy for me. I dont ever want to go through divorce.

(fingers crossed for my current long term bf!!! lol)

dont give up...marriage can work!
I would actually say its the other way around... people spend too long trying to find out as much as they can about the other person because theyr convicned for marriage to be viable the other person has to be 'perfect' for them.

You will never find the perfect person!!!! Theres always going to be problems, its just overcoming them which is easy if you share similar values and know whats important to you both.

I think there was a report a while ago that said that divorce rates were higher with those that had spent longer dating than those who had gotten married quicker. But I dont have the source for it it was about a year ago that I read it.. ill try and find it later.
Wowbagger
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Marriage in some form or another has been in pretty much every single culture of the world, going back pretty much as far as records go. Admitedly there have been some fairly heavy variations to the norm of what we have now, eg polygamy, widespread arranged marriages and people buying wives but for the most part it's a constant. You find someone you love and you marry them and stay together until you die. The only difference now is that unfortunately there seems to be a more variable time limit on the whole thing! Marriage isn't seen as being permanent so much any more. For that reason i'm fairly sure it'll continue but maybe not quite so much.
As it stands at the moment, there are a number of financial benefits to getting married that people who aren't married (yet have the same level of relationship) don't get. E.g. In Canada (I think) two hetereosexual guys have recently got married purely for the financial gains. (And probably to get their 5 minutes of fame).

Personally, being a Christian I intend to get married in a church, and hopefully (as this obviously also depends on what my other half does) we'll stay together until we die. However, hppefully, assuming my judgement is sound, I will have married someone who also feels the same way about me and staying together until we die won't be a problem.

One point is although there are financial gains to getting married, a Mr Ray Parlour will tell you there are a number of potential losses from it if you do end up splitting up. Current divorce laws on how the assets/children etc of a coupleare divided up must be one of the reasons the number of people getting married is falling.
Sophdoph
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I believe in it as for me it'd be the ultimate way to be able to share my life with someone I loved and wanted to be with. It's also sensible for couples for financial and legal security, and it's a way to celebrate love and I can't see much wrong with wanting to celebrate love
Manatee
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by mangomaz)
I don't think they necessarily fear commitment - after all, living with someone is, practically speaking, about as committed as you can get. Perhaps they just feel that they don't need a piece of paper to define their relationship? Not everyone thinks about the legal implications. It's not a very romantic reason for marriage, is it?

Personally I'm all for commitment, but I feel no need to get married. Oddly enough, I think it's actually the wedding itself that I object to more than marriage itself. I couldn't bear the idea of sharing something which I consider very intimate with anyone other than the prospective groom - the thought of it makes me cringe. And yes, I realise that's strange...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (489)
80.03%
Leave (122)
19.97%

Watched Threads